Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great win for David over very tricky opponent (Top 5-7 when in pick level). Hope it will be good tournament for him.

·
Registered
16,192 Posts
top 5-7 level at peak? :O

Reactions: alwaysfan

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
I've no idea how he won that. He was so bad in set 1 and most of set 2.he was visibly frustrated, more so than I think I've ever seen him. When he fell break point down serving for ot I had flashbacks to his choke against pospisil last week. Thankfully he avoided that.

No idea how he will handle sinner. He will have advantage in a way
Sinner hasnt played a match yet. On the other hand I could easily see sinner blasting him off court if the version 9f him that showed up for most of today shows up tomorrow

·
justice for all
15,124 Posts
In fact there are many matches here that feature two struggling players:

Dimitrov - Shapovalov
Tsitsipas - Hurkacz (to a lesser extent)
now Sinner vs Goffin
and Dimitrov vs FAA

The winners have a very good chance to rebuild the confidence.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've no idea how he won that. He was so bad in set 1 and most of set 2.he was visibly frustrated, more so than I think I've ever seen him. When he fell break point down serving for ot I had flashbacks to his choke against pospisil last week. Thankfully he avoided that.

Sinner hasnt played a match yet. On the other hand I could easily see sinner blasting him off court if the version 9f him that showed up for most of today shows up tomorrow
May be he approved in 3d set? 2 set may be was some "gift" (esp on tie) from Haaaaase)))?

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
First win for Goffin here since the eye incident 2 years ago, nice to see him fight through this tough match. Haase was peaking at times, just fell short on the big points.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In fact there are many matches here that feature two struggling players:

Dimitrov - Shapovalov
Tsitsipas - Hurkacz (to a lesser extent)
now Sinner vs Goffin
and Dimitrov vs FAA

The winners have a very good chance to rebuild the confidence.
Dimitrov play with 2 opponents in one round??? Why?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts

Could be a match up thing perhaps with haase, as he rarely bothers a top player anymore . The fast court and home advantage also a plus

·
Registered
1,827 Posts

For me the result was never in doubt for some reason. With all due respect, you don't earn the nickname Hahaase without good reason. Haase was playing alright, except for the moments when it mattered in the tiebreak he dumped it into the net. I watched from the start of the second set and I didnt think Goffin was especially bad, not good, but alright base level, rallying around with Haase, he had something like 16-18 winners/UE ration.

One of the highlights for me was a point where Goffin approached the net, got lobbed, hit a decently deep backhand to Haase's backhand, Haase returned a wicked cc backhand slice, pretty short, Goffin responded with a cc backhand slice of his own that had an insane angle on it, almost like he thought Haase was sneaking to the net, Haase wasnt and hit it out.

Goffin used his slice quite well throughout the match, respectable performance from haase

1 - 15 of 15 Posts