Discussion Starter #1
The top six seeds at Kalamazoo:
1. Frances Tiafoe
2. Taylor Fritz
3. Stefan Kozlov
4. Tommy Paul
5. Michael Mmoh
6. Reilly Opelka

Two questions: (1) is the 1996-1998 generation (also including Donaldson, Escobedo and Rubin) the most talented group of Americans since Sampras, Agassi, Chang, Courier, and Martin?
(2) how many of them are, like Coric/Kyrgios/Kokkinakis, going to break into the top 100 over the next couple of years?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Fritz right now is the only one I put my faith in, Fratangelo, Sock, Novikov and Donaldson maybe as well even though they're older, everyone else is gonna flop majestically.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
I think they all have a chance to be top 100.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
That's a killer list of college players. :yeah:

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
I cant believe such a huge country with so many legends didnt produce anything worth watching since 2000, unless ofcourse you count Roddick.

·
Premium Member
62,010 Posts
It certainly looks more promising than in a long time. Too early to tell, though. At 17 Young was more merited than Sampras.

·
Registered
690 Posts
The top six seeds at Kalamazoo:
1. Frances Tiafoe
2. Taylor Fritz
3. Stefan Kozlov
4. Tommy Paul
5. Michael Mmoh
6. Reilly Opelka

Two questions: (1) is the 1996-1998 generation (also including Donaldson, Escobedo and Rubin) the most talented group of Americans since Sampras, Agassi, Chang, Courier, and Martin?
(2) how many of them are, like Coric/Kyrgios/Kokkinakis, going to break into the top 100 over the next couple of years?
I like Tiafoe, Kozlov and Opelka.

Kozlov still intrigues me. He was a guy that I thought that at least he'd mature early and get really fast inside the top200. Then, once there I thought he could turn into a mediocre player or improve some aspects of his game to be able to compete at the highest level.

Tiafoe is the opposite, he's got a much higher ceiling but also a much lower floor.

Opelka is the serve bot. I hope he becomes a better version of Isner. He already got a better backhand than Sir John, but Isner's can be amazingly clutch on his serve, unlike many serve bots.

don't know much about Paul and I don't like Mmoh and Fritz.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
They surely have potential to do something, but time will tell....there are always several Americans claimed to be promissing, yet their highest ranked players and the only two in TOP 30 are still John Isner and Sam Querrey.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They surely have potential to do something, but time will tell....there are always several Americans claimed to be promissing, yet their highest ranked players and the only two in TOP 30 are still John Isner and Sam Querrey.
Jack Sock is ranked 32 and rising fast. He will soon be the top-ranked American and I expect Kudla and Harrison will move up over the next year or so, too.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Kozlov is enigma for me. If someone ask me now about him now i will most probably say he won't be anything special because maybe he has done nothing really exiting this year compared to the one before. Anyway we must not forget he is just a 1998 born kid. Time will tell i guess. The one i really dont like here is Opelka. New mix between Isner and Karlovic. Pff no thanks

·
29,645 Posts
Given the general decline in quality of young talents in the last 5-10 years I wouldn't expect any of them to be as good as James Blake, let alone Andre Agassi.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Along way to go and most of them will turn out to be journeyman but defiantly the best looking American generation in a while and have huge hopes for Mmoh

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Fritz will be the highest ranked out of the above 6. NID. I see him as a definite top 10 in the future.

Opelka will be a decent servebot in years to come and with a big serve your bound to win matches, while Tiafoe is also potentially good although he seems a headcase in terms of his shot making and mentality. Probably turn out to be a black Ryan Harrison.

Mmoh can't say I've seen much of. Paul might make top 100 don't see anything else, Kozlov is terrible and just hasn't progressed.

Hopefully Taylor takes the title here :yeah: he's still rough around the edges but he's gonna be good you heard it here ;)

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I like Tiafoe, Kozlov and Opelka.

Kozlov still intrigues me. He was a guy that I thought that at least he'd mature early and get really fast inside the top200. Then, once there I thought he could turn into a mediocre player or improve some aspects of his game to be able to compete at the highest level.

Tiafoe is the opposite, he's got a much higher ceiling but also a much lower floor.

Opelka is the serve bot. I hope he becomes a better version of Isner. He already got a better backhand than Sir John, but Isner's can be amazingly clutch on his serve, unlike many serve bots.

don't know much about Paul and I don't like Mmoh and Fritz.
You like Kozlov but don't like Fritz? :spit: You must of been on the beer this weekend.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts