Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it was not for Mannarino set in R1 last week he would have b2b titles without dropping a set.

I always had high opinion of his level but he cost me so much bets from being unreliable that it always held me back.

But looking at it, I think he is highly under rated.

Some RG and Paris masters matches as well as US Open he has been unplayable. Such a shame re injuries and lack of sense.

With a norman or lendl could ge have reached the top 5 or won a slam?

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah thought he lost middle set not first set

Reactions: enlightenedth

·
Registered
16,148 Posts
He was an unreliable player for almost his entire career, just like Fognini.

I find it funny how they became disciplined characters as late as 2019.. of course Fog still clowns a lot, but not at slams. I mean Gael said he would take tennis seriously when 2016 started, but 2017 and 2018 was a bit of a lull and he still had many losses to subpar players.

Monf and Verd were always unreliable, and improved the issue with late age.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
put him in Nadal's RG quarter, I say

·
Registered
13,794 Posts
Serious Monfils is back for the first time since that stint in 2016, it would appear. Guess we'll see how long he takes tennis seriously this time.

·
11,024 Posts
If it was not for Mannarino set in R1 last week he would have b2b titles without dropping a set.

I always had high opinion of his level but he cost me so much bets from being unreliable that it always held me back.

But looking at it, I think he is highly under rated.

Some RG and Paris masters matches as well as US Open he has been unplayable. Such a shame re injuries and lack of sense.

With a norman or lendl could ge have reached the top 5 or won a slam?
Monflis refuses to change, every once and a while he will turn into GOATflis mode for a match or two, but then he will go right back to pushing. He has the body to rip the ball at will and hit winners... he can even run down any ball that would normally be a winner. He has great feel and could actually finish points at the net , but at the end of the day , he plays the way he does.....

Its bizarre because both he a Nick Kyrgios are showmen , but Monflis never gives up or tanks , he just plays to lose if that makes sense. He is happy to hit a 360 backhand or dive volley , but struggles to focus on the basics and setting up a point. You rarely see him pissed off when he loses , be it a final or R1 of a tournament, always gives a hug to his opponent and is happy with them winning.

This is way different than Federer, Nadal or Djokovic. These guys hate losing and you can see the determination in their faces when they are in that one and a million moment, break point down, facing defeat and they pull off some magic. Or just get a look on their faces when any of them are holding that 2nd place silver plate.... they want to win and do everything in their power to make that happen. All one has to do is watch the Big 3 training videos and you can see the difference between them and the rest of the tour.

In some alternate reality Monflis has the same determination of the Big 3 and is sitting in the Top 20 All Time Great List.... instead we have an entertaining player who shows up twice a year and is very injury prone.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
All he needed was a decent girl. This is Svitolina at work, lol. I do actually think she has helped him. He has always had talent to stay top 10 year after year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts