Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Karlovic won :bounce: 76 67 76 over Mayer!!! :)

He plays Tursanov in Ivo's second semi-final of the year.

i think that the last paragraph in the sun-sentinal comment is very true ;)

Good luck to ivo... :)

This weeks ace count - vs.
Guccione, Chris - 17 aces
Delgado, Ramon - 17 aces
Mayer, Florian - 24 aces

--

Matchreport from Sunrisetennis.com

In the marquee singles match Friday night – it was the big bomber versus the big swinger, as No. six seed Florian Mayer took on No. 4 seed Ivo Karlovic. The match went three tiebreaker sets – but they weren’t long sets. The points were short, with Ivo’s serve and volley game pitted against Mayer’s loopy passing shots and slices. Mayer managed a few brilliant lobs over Karlovic’s head – no small feat, considering Karlovic, at 6’ 10” is the tallest player on the tour. (He even has “6-10” stitched on his shirt).

And, Mayer got his racquet on a few of Karlovic’s missile-like serves – which sound like a gunshot. When Karlovic’s ball smacks the court, it sprays fuzz like a tiny yellow cloud.

“If you play three hours, and out of three hundred serves, anybody can return a few serves,” Karlovic said. “I was a little bit lucky also today that I won, so I’m happy. In the tiebreak it is also important to return, so I don’t know if it’s always true that the better server wins. So I was lucky that I hit a few returns in, and I won.”

Looking forward to tomorrow’s semi-final against No. 2 seed Dmitry Tursunov, Karlovic said, “Dmitry is a player that can play everything, all this heart you know, so I’m going to be extremely careful on my serve and on the return game, I’m going to try to play well and hopefully I win.”

---

Press cuttings from the south florida sun-sentinal

The 6-foot-10 Karlovic, swatting 24 aces and another 35 unreturned serves, defeated sixth-seeded Florian Mayer 7-6 (5), 6-7 (6), 7-6 (4) in the other quarterfinal in the bottom half of the draw. [Karlvoic plays No. 2 seed Tursanov in the semi-finals]

This will be the fifth time the gifted but mercurial Tursunov has played the heavy-serving Karlovic, and he leads 3-1 after an improbable win last year in the dead rubber of a Davis Cup match in Split, Croatia, on a fast indoor surface which only makes his big serve tougher.

There were no breaks in the Karlovic-Mayer match and six of his eight sets in this tournament have gone to tiebreaks. He also ran his ace total for the week to 58, though they can't be added to his ATP-leading 255 because this is a Challenger and not a main draw event.

How will Tursunov deal with Karlovic's serve? "Even if you guess right on it, that doesn't mean you're getting it back," said Tursunov, who brings his own serving firepower to this match.

Karlovic is no longer just a mammoth serve-and-volley player. On match point, he stroked a backhand passing shot down the line for a clean winner.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts