Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fed and Muzza played 15 times against each other, only on HCs.

Any other pair of players with a similar history, not necessarily HC?

When Rog and Andy will play on a different surface? Will it ever happen?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Fed and Muzza played 15 times against each other, only on HCs.

Any other pair of players with a similar history, not necessarily HC?

When Rog and Andy will play on a different surface? Will it ever happen?
I don't see it happening now that they're 3 and 4 and will be in different halfs in the draws.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Maybe impossible?

Sampras/Lendl is 5-3 8 meetings evenly split between hard and carpet.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Muster/Sampras, 11-2 one match on clay, rest split between hard and carpet?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't see it happening now that they're 3 and 4 and will be in different halfs in the draws.
Yeah, it will be difficult with neither player paying any smaller tournaments on grass or clay (except Halle and Queens), but then again they won't be 3 and 4 till the end of their days.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Finally, one with 10.

Corretja-Berasetagui

7-3 all clay matches.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Federer and Nadal have met on clay 14 times I believe. One more and it will be 15.

I believe Nadal leads on clay 12-2. I think that is pretty significant.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
I think people are missing the question. Seems OP is asking have there been players who have played 15 (or at least 10, I guess) matches ONLY on the same surface. Not 10 matches out of 20 on one surface, but all matches on the same surface.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
i just noticed this today and yeah, it seems pretty unique.

then again, there are only 3 surfaces these days and one of them barely has 1 tournament in which both players coincide (wimbledon) and in the other (clay) one isn't good enough to regularly get to the later rounds.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
i mean this hardly happens because there are so many tournaments on clay/grass that players really care about. the good players who end up meeting a lot of times can't just magically avoid one another on particular surfaces so of course so rare...

i mean once you hit 15 match H2H the odds to have met that many times not on any off branching surface

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think people are missing the question. Seems OP is asking have there been players who have played 15 (or at least 10, I guess) matches ONLY on the same surface. Not 10 matches out of 20 on one surface, but all matches on the same surface.
that was my question...sorry for the confusion

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Based on the way their schedules are, there really aren't many possibilities for that to changed:

1 - Monte Carlo. Players do skip this Masters event. Novak did last year.
2 - Wimbledon, given we know they'll never face each other in the grass warm-up tournament.
2a - Olympics. (I can actually see this as the most likely)
3 - Davis Cup - although I'd bet that Roger would skip that tie, thinking that Stan and Co. could beat the guys surrounding Andy. Yes, that could happen this year, given Switzerland is in the World Group Playoff awaiting a Group I survivor, which so far GB is.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
So nobody can beat Corretja-Berasetagui's 7-3 record, all on Clay?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts