Premium Member
24,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one day longer, probably for marketing purposes

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
What? Where did you read this?

Booooo! Hisssssssssssssssssss! I don't want the other slams to get US Open disease (doing everything for money and only money).

·
F***ing have it
17,602 Posts
If that would mean no Super Saturday at USO, i'd be happy but .. :rolleyes:

Reactions: howardean

·
Registered
696 Posts
Fee said:
What? Where did you read this?

Booooo! Hisssssssssssssssssss! I don't want the other slams to get US Open disease (doing everything for money and only money).

Maybe they're doing it because it's better for the fans as well as the tournie? Sunday is a heck of a lot more convenient day for people to attend an afternoon session. God forbid they should make more money AND provide a better value to the fans, right?

·
Banned
19,258 Posts
WTF??!! I want it to be for the AO... would be nice for the people in europe.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
http://go.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=tennisNews&storyID=9684260

French Open to start on Sunday from next year

PARIS, Sept 18 (Reuters) - The French Open will start on a Sunday instead of a Monday from next year as part of a general plan to stage all grand slams over 15 days instead of 14, French Tennis Federation (FFT) president Christian Bimes said on Sunday.

"The tournament will last 15 days from 2006, which is great news for the promotion of tennis," Bimes said after this weekend's Fed Cup final between France and Russia at Roland Garros which set an attendance record.

The centre court's 15,000 seats were packed on Saturday and Sunday for a tie Russia won 3-2.

The idea of an extra weekend day at grand slam events is to boost ticket sales and television audiences.

·
124,507 Posts
These clowns have also given into giving the women equal prizemoney, at least that's one thing I will give Wimbledon and good for them.

Yes, the website needs to be updated if this is the case and 15 days for a Slam is crap and it's not needed, next it will be Super Saturday for Roland Garros.

From what I also read it's only 12 matches will take place on the three showcourts on the first Sunday. Yay! it's all about the fans.

·
Registered
42,421 Posts
Yeah right, it's all about the fans. :rolleyes: What next?
And what about attention for the tournaments ending before the GSs start, some of them already have finals on Saturday, don't they need more spectators and coverage at the weekend? :confused:
I don't like it one bit. :(

·
Registered
771 Posts
GeorgeWHitler said:
These clowns have also given into giving the women equal prizemoney, at least that's one thing I will give Wimbledon and good for them.

Yes, the website needs to be updated if this is the case and 15 days for a Slam is crap and it's not needed, next it will be Super Saturday for Roland Garros.

From what I also read it's only 12 matches will take place on the three showcourts on the first Sunday. Yay! it's all about the fans.
Interesting...
You have just described this year's "new" format to Charity day... - matches only took place on the showcourts... so thats what their plan was....

IMHO French Open already has 15 days of tennis - as they have the Benny Barthuei (sp) Charity day on that Sunday. NO real change then.

·
124,507 Posts
MariaV said:
Yeah right, it's all about the fans. :rolleyes: What next?
And what about attention for the tournaments ending before the GSs start, some of them already have finals on Saturday, don't they need more spectators and coverage at the weekend? :confused:
I don't like it one bit. :(
Well it's not like the clay doesn't need extra attention and yes the best thing is probably the winner and finalists in St Pölten and Düsseldorf will play their 1st round matches on Sunday.

basil, I wonder if they still will have Charity day, instead of it actually being serious.

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
so whats next

the previous weeks tournaments now have to finish on a Friday

and then guess what.......

"oh look the Saturday is free as well" :rolleyes:

what great thinking by the idiotic money men.

·
Registered
42,421 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
so whats next

the previous weeks tournaments now have to finish on a Friday

and then guess what.......

"oh look the Saturday is free as well" :rolleyes:

what great thinking by the idiotic money men.
Exactly. :(

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
It's good to be able to see one more day of tennis. Some tennis fan are working during the week. I'm happy about it.

·
124,507 Posts
BigboyDan said:
Sigh.

Relax.

There still will be no ATP or WTA players scheduled on that first Sunday.
Actually it said 12 matches will be scheduled on the first Sunday and it won't be juniors or exhibitions.

·
124,507 Posts
BigboyDan said:
You're right - and those matches will not be with ATP players either.
How can they be when the ITF run the Slams? If it's not juniors, wheelchairs or exhibition events then what are they then?

They won't be qualifying matches either.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts