Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,611 Posts
I thought it was weird :lol: I remember watching Felix play as a 15 year old on a CH tournament. He was still very raw. 14 is virtually unheard of.

·
Registered
878 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,611 Posts
Very nice for the youngsters to play for country but this gives a good insight into the countries’ thoughts on Davis cup now.
yup when they have Khachanov, Medvedev and Rublev and they go for this :lol:

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
This happens all the time (although it's more common to have juniors travel along, without being nominated officially). Obviously the guy won't be playing, but he is given a chance to practice with professional players at the top of their game. And if there's a dead rubber, he might get some match practice too.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This happens all the time (although it's more common to have juniors travel along, without being nominated officially). Obviously the guy won't be playing, but he is given a chance to practice with professional players at the top of their game. And if there's a dead rubber, he might get some match practice too.

Yes, I know, but they are usually 17-18 and not 14....

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I thought it was weird :lol: I remember watching Felix play as a 15 year old on a CH tournament. He was still very raw. 14 is virtually unheard of.
Felix made a CH QF as a 14 years old.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Osaka never played any ITF junior tournaments, just a few USTA. Her first pro title was Indian Wells. Talk about a unique path to the top.

·
Registered
182 Posts
yup when they have Khachanov, Medvedev and Rublev and they go for this :lol:
I don't understand what you are talking about. Khachanov and Medvedev will play singles and Rublev/Donskoy doubles. You can check it on the Davis cup website.
Zhzhenov is the 5th player so they probably called him so he can practice with the best players or in case of a dead tie.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
But why him?

There are more than 40 russian juniors with a higher ranking than him. I don't think they all refused this opportunity.

https://www.itftennis.com/juniors/rankings/rankings-list/players.aspx?Nation=RUS&From=0&To=-1&Name=&MatchCode=S&Gender=B&Region=&node=0

Edit: He is one of the best U14 players

http://www.publicnow.com/view/43DDA17B2B0AC0554A29466D46B231B248FD620A

Zhzhenov was also awarded "Junior of the year 2018" in Russia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Cup_(tennis)#2018

But again it's weird to skip an entire junior age category and go for a 14 year old.

Maybe his family has good connections ...

·
Ace Loveforty
83,393 Posts
he won one Tennis Europe U14 tournament in Albania 2 years ago :D

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Zhzhenov was a top 5 Tennis Europe player U14, who is now transitioning to ITF Junior tour.

He's indeed a very solid player for his age. Still, i doubt he would be anywhere near top 100 ITF juniors level, so men's is not even in the conversation yet.

He won last year here in Bulgaria, in Albena a first category U14, i was there, my kid lost third round.

What i remember from him - BH is more impressive than FH, no weapons, but very solid.

·
Registered
14,496 Posts
I like how his name sounds: Константин Жжёнов [konstantyin zh:yonov]

He is a promising youngster, according to this:
?????????? ??????

(yes, I know some Russian)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts