Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With restrictions in entering Australia, it is blatant they will not let players enter for ATP Cup only.

Some countries such like Greece or Bulgaria will not have a second player to make a team....

If based on best ranked player 2020 like, teams should obviously be Australia Serbia Spain Austria (if Denis Novak plays) Russia Switzerland (if both Federer and Wawrinka play or Laaksonen qualifies) Argentina Italy Germany France Canada Belgium (if Coppejans qualifies) or Chile (if Tabilo qualifies) with Croatia and USA as a replacement.

·
Premium Member
9,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ATP Cup and the Davis Cup should merge. Until this happens, this will be nonsense every year.
No need explaining it year after year but Pique was so pissed off not to be choosen for ATP Cup against Tennis Australia that he made ITF crazily greedy about his money promised for Davis Cup....
But that said money galore was promised if crowd galore in Madrid and is now far from being given....

This year nobody fought for DC in Madrid (or elsewhere) and its white flag was one of the first shown.

I am afraid Davis Cup has joined Tennis Pantheon of Former Competitions like Kooyong or Forest Hills....

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Yes the only players that will travel to Australia are the ones that are main draw or qualified for the Australian Open. (same goes for the Melbourne 250's)

So therefore Greece is out for sure, and Austria, Belgium & Switzerland are in doubt as well depending on withdrawals.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,289 Posts
I have no idea how they'll make this work. They should've just shelved it for the year and instead hold a couple of tournaments like WTA.
Yeah, the lack of options just turns it into a half baked "match of elites" with Thiem and Tsitsipas sitting out.

But given how much ATP and TA invested into this, I guess they have to go with it. The mess is doing the team aspect under the current restrictions. Are they all going to train together and sit by each other? If someone does get sick, it will be a huge mess.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
The current list of countries according to their best ranked players:

1. Serbia
2. Spain
3. Austria (doubtful)
4. Russia
5. Switzerland (doubtful)
6. Greece (impossible)
7. Germany
8. Argentina
9. Italy
10. France
11. Canada
12. Belgium (doubtful)
13. Bulgaria (impossible)
14. Chile (very doubtful)
15. Australia
16. Croatia
17. USA
18. Norway (impossible)
19. UK
20. Poland (doubtful)
21. Japan

·
9,507 Posts
Matty obsessed with atp cup ha. Dont blame. Great event

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Last January was fun. For Bulgarians it was something like a football World Cup finals. Many people waking up early to watch the matches, plenty of media coverage (compared to what tennis gets in general), it would be a shame if the new rules f this up and it seems like that's exactly what's gonna happen...

·
41,955 Posts
Last January was fun. For Bulgarians it was something like a football World Cup finals. Many people waking up early to watch the matches, plenty of media coverage (compared to what tennis gets in general), it would be a shame if the new rules f this up and it seems like that's exactly what's gonna happen...
January 2020 was equal for us like USA 1994 :lol:
I remember my colleagues in work who don’t watch tennis at all was following this tournament.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts