Mens Tennis Forums banner

141 - 160 of 223 Posts

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,427 Posts
Now Nalbandian will have an excuse for crashing out early. He was drained after this.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
I guarentee no one wanted to play either of these guys. Hewitt could easily have gone to the quarters with the way he was playing. Ditto for Nalbandian.

Hewitt's game is actually more offensive than some of the other counterpunchers on tour (think Simon) in that he really does go for outright winners when he's counterpunching. Also he's never really developed a good offpace game (slices, or dying medium paced sitters) like Murray or Santoro. In fact part of his problem is that his game is really designed to take out serve and volleyers (he probably has the second or third best passing shots in the game, behind Fedal) moreso than aggressive baseliners.

However he's lost a step, and it definitely shows.
Nail on the head there. Good post.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Nalby! :worship:

I watched the last 2 sets. It's been a while since I watched Nalby in action and now I know why people rate him so highly. What a talented shot maker! He squandered that opportunity to serve it out but he came up with some clutch play to save match points and eventually win the match.
There's been enough spoken about the volley at matchpoint down and the sexy backhand slices down the line, but I am surprised and I read through the whole thread; there's hardly any mention of Nalbandian's resistance to choking this time. He was 5-3 up in the fourth set, and again 4-2 up in the fifth. I thought it was 2 times too many. But what do you know, he not only saves MPs, but breaks Hewitt to love to go up 8-7, and then serves it out without choking.

Mental giant this Nalby. :worship:

Thanks! :yeah:

And that doesn't include when he was two points away from defeat on Federer's serve in the epic TMC final against Fed :yeah:
Thanks for reminding this oft forgotten piece of glory. :worship:

This shows why King David is MTF's boy.:worship::worship::worship:
Well done King David.Your are such an enjoyable player to watch.:hatoff:
I believe last January, there was a Nalbandwagon in MTF. I think its that time of the year again. :rocker2:

Epic match made possible by Nalby's usual form in early rounds.

Hope he doesn't flame out in the next few matches and if he does win, gets it done comfortably. All signs point to that not happening but I hope I am wrong.
Berankis will have respect for Nalby's talent.

those tablets he took sure did help. are those things even legal?
Tablet for cramps? Ridiculous.

Oh, it will undoubtedly appear on youtube soon enough, both that and first saved MP with a ridiculous half-volley.
Its been removed already.

He's older and lost a step, simple as that. Not to mention hit hard by injuries. Today's game is more defense/retrieval oriented than ever. If Hewitt was in his prime right now, I'm sure he'd do just fine on tour. He'll never be a power player or big server and he shouldn't try to be. That hurts him because he doesn't have a serve to fall back on like Andy Roddick and has to fight for everything. But he's made the most of his abilities. Frankly, of the two out there today, Hewitt's career is not the one I would criticize.
Great post. Hewitt has done everything his potential offered. Nalbandian hasn't. Fingers are of course, always crossed.

Hewitt's game is actually more offensive than some of the other counterpunchers on tour (think Simon) in that he really does go for outright winners when he's counterpunching.
Simon doesn't punch. He pushes.

·
Registered
20,221 Posts
highlights

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Gorgeous clip, thanks.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
This is the tennis I live for, scintillating stuff.
Kudos to both players, in my opinion they both deserved to win. What a great match. :worship:

I'm actually devastated for Hewitt. :sobbing:

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Lleyton blew it, 3-1 and 0-40

same old story, knew Nalband would win when he got to Deuce

·
Banned
42,099 Posts
Watching Hewitt in this match and almost every match in last 5-6 years I really don't understand his motives in playing tennis . He is playing on the same way like he was playing when he came on the tour for the first time . He was and still is a great counter puncher but in today's game this doesn't work . He hasn't improved single shot since the first time that I saw him . He can have better days and worse days but with his game in today's tennis he can't to anything . It's now too late for him to change anything but I was always wondering WTF he was doing 4 or 5 years ago . With the years tennis became more and more strength sport and all these was happening ahead of his eyes . He knew that he would never be able to compete with " new " guys in this segment but he had to improve that what he has and adopt his game to new standards on other ways . I never liked him but I am very disappointed with progress of his game and carrier . He had to do something to prevent that what is happening to him today
I agree in part.

Hewitt felt no need to improve his game because he managed to keep himself at the top, making slam 2nd weeks consistently, without any change. When major injuries started setting in, then he lost his speed and started a steady decline.

Hewitt playing just like in 2000 but still with success shows how weak this era is.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
Hewitt playing just like in 2000 but still with success shows how weak this era is.
What an utterly tiresome diatribe. It was funny once, but now it's plain boring. You could go back and live in the wonderful 90's if you want. There you can watch all the wonderful tennis to your heart's content :eek:

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
What an utterly tiresome diatribe. It was funny once, but now it's plain boring. You could go back and live in the wonderful 90's if you want. There you can watch all the wonderful tennis to your heart's content :eek:
Yeah I don't even know why they bother watching tennis nowadays. They're the real mugs. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
42,099 Posts
It's not supposed to be funny mate.

It's just the truth.

I know that the truth is rarely funny. Especially if you're part of the media hype over this pathetically feeble era.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Yes!! :worship::worship: to both "old guys" for toughing it out for 4 1/2 hours without medical timeouts, rants at the umpire/crowds, etc.

Didn't think FIT Dave could hang in there mentally or physically so long with Hewitt but Hang In he did!!! Amazing what Dave can do when he wants something and he clearly wanted that. Must have had visions of the other AO epic match with Hewitt in '05.

Too bad it was first round cuz both deserved to go a few rounds. After his week in Aukland and this match it's a pretty sure bet Dave will have nothing left in his tank but this was SOOO FUN to see, even if I fell asleep about 4 times during the match.

141 - 160 of 223 Posts