Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Lovely interview with Goran and some of the fans who witnessed this amazing final

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/wimbledon

Telletubbies.....
The 3 Goran's
Superstition- same parking space(even asked a car to be moved for him), same food, same rented movies from blockbusters, got only 2 shirts from Sergio Tacchini and only 3 racquets from Head (they were sure he would lose early), they sent new stuff, he refused, washed his 2 shirts each day.....
Famous rain
Monday final - true tennis fans able to get tickets, crazy atmosphere between Aussies and Croatians
WC to win Wimbledon
4 match points needed - considering he lost the three finals
Foot faults on bp
Goran and Pat's friendship

·
Banned
10,179 Posts
yes, great match.......i was back from school when the fifth set started, watched it right through the end......steve waugh and shane warne(in their baggy greens) did their best to encourage pat rafter but the day was destined to be goran's......

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can't compare the emotions in this match to anything else though. This was straight out of Hollywood.

1) Boyhood dream to win Wimbledon

2) Lost the final 3 times in his prime

3) Career almost over, couldn't buy a win, considered retirement

4) Got wildcard entry, people didn't give him a chance

5) Made final

6) Final moved from Sunday to Monday, only proper fans present.

7) Wins final is 5 set epic.

And just to keep the drama till the end, 2nd match point double faults. Utter Hollywood.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
If you're gonna pick something epic for a dream final for Roddick 10 years after Goran's it has to be against Federer. Or maybe Hewitt.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Yes Goran's run was something you'd think organizers and the other players had setup to happen. It's almost too good to be true. All the history around it with a guy that had come close, that was loved and had such an open personality. Everyone knew he dealt with nerves in big moments and that his peak was behind him. Then that run. You'd wish all tennis players could have one of those magical runs fulfilling their dreams just before it was too late.

For me a Roddick victory wouldn't compare really. Has to be something way special then. Like some crazy run and then playing Federer in the final. It goes to 5 sets and he finally serves it home in a very long fifth set. And as said above even funnier Roddick vs Hewitt in an epic 5 seter in the final. Almost no chance of that happening but if it did it was be a lot of magic to it

·
Your visions will happen
51,355 Posts
Gotta say I'd love to see Roddick take it this year.

Goran, what a legend that run was. It wasn't like he had a mug draw either, he really had to work for it.

R1: Frederik Jonsson
R2: Carlos Moya
R3: Andy Roddick
R4: Greg Rusedski
QF: Marat Safin
SF: Tim Henman
F: Pat Rafter

Epic.

Also the first tournament I ever watched. This was the event that got me into tennis.

·
Registered
20,717 Posts
The happiest day of my life connected with the sport . And it came just a day before my birthday , I couldn't imagine better gift . Regardless how crazy it sounds but from very first day I had somehow positively strange feeling . Actually the most nervy moments were in the second round match against Moya, only match which wasn't televised and back then I hadn't internet connection . All the day I was waiting sport news on the TV and with the fear waiting the result . I could swear that in the moment when I heard he won I was somehow secure that something huge will happen, maybe not the title but something surely . When he won the title I first and the last time cried because of something connected with the sport . If something in tennis history deserve to be called as epic this historic run is on the top or near the top , and not just in tennis

·
Banned
10,179 Posts
this is Roddick's big year I think he will beat Nadal or Murray in the final
gone is that moment and gone is that opportunity, it was wimbledon 2009 and he reached the final when not many expected him.......he exhibited some of the most atrocious mental fortitude in a slam final......he is no goran......

it looked like fed: "you take it this time", rod: "no, no, you take it one more time" in that second set tie breaker......

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
By far the most emotional match I have ever seen. Epic stuff, Goran´s last service game of the final was unbelievable.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Thinking back he was also very lucky with the timing. Time flies but 10 years ago was the perfect opportunity and Goran took it.

A run that had a lot of fairytale potential was Bjorkman's 2006 run reaching semifinal at age 34 :) Someone remember that?

Sadly he was totally spent physically and ran into a superhot prime Federer in the SF. Still reaching the SF at his current ranking and as 34 was sort of a fairly tale run for me as a swede at least. Let's face it Federer has pretty much destroyed all hope for epic fairy tale runs in Wimbledon since he started his dominance there. He surely would have stopped Goran too but Goran was lucky to be right on time! In a few years I bet Goran runs can start to happen again but right now the top10 is way way too good for the SF/F part

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
gone is that moment and gone is that opportunity, it was wimbledon 2009 and he reached the final when not many expected him.......he exhibited some of the most atrocious mental fortitude in a slam final......he is no goran......

it looked like fed: "you take it this time", rod: "no, no, you take it one more time" in that second set tie breaker......
Roddick´s chances of winning Wimbledon are minimal, yet FAR greater than anyone thought of Ivanisevic before his dream run. He was as good as done, labeled as the best player never to win a Slam. Roddick is obviously not what he used to be, but at least he´s still playing at the top level. Ivanisevic came to Wimbledon with a WC, that´s how low he had slipped.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Incredible match, amazing drama. The type of match where you wish there could be two winners. Rafter also had his share of heartbreaking losses at Wimbledon, unfortunate only one of them could achieve their Wimbledon dream.

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
I guess I'm the only one who was bummed Rafter didn't win.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I guess I'm the only one who was bummed Rafter didn't win.
I would have cheered for Rafter if he´d played against anyone else than Ivanisevic. But for Goran the loss just would have been too much, Rafter already had 2 US Open´s, and Goran had already lost the final 3 times.

·
Banned
81 Posts
The happiest day of my life connected with the sport . And it came just a day before my birthday , I couldn't imagine better gift . Regardless how crazy it sounds but from very first day I had somehow positively strange feeling . Actually the most nervy moments were in the second round match against Moya, only match which wasn't televised and back then I hadn't internet connection . All the day I was waiting sport news on the TV and with the fear waiting the result . I could swear that in the moment when I heard he won I was somehow secure that something huge will happen, maybe not the title but something surely . When he won the title I first and the last time cried because of something connected with the sport . If something in tennis history deserve to be called as epic this historic run is on the top or near the top , and not just in tennis
Yep,sure,goran's "historic run" is bigger than landing on the moon.An old fart,a guy with most disgusting personality in tennis history,got lucky,big fucking deal.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts