7) Murray snatching the number 1 ranking from No2e 2016
8) Defaultovic getting defaulted USO 2020
9) Nadal getting to 20 slams in 2020
10) The rise of Young Jannik 2020-present

Reactions: Budadiii

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Maybe some random guy in China catching a virus has also had a big effect on tennis. Sounds like the butterfly effect.

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
12,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Maybe some random guy in China catching a virus has also had a big effect on tennis. Sounds like the butterfly effect.
Catching.....

Your cute

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Nice new moniker for the resident psycho. Too many ‘defining moments’ to list but those Novak H2H majors records vs ex-no.1 Swiss at Fed's most ‘dominant’ tournaments really stand out: AO;4-1, WB;3-1.
You and Supercell were the ones who started whining like babies.

·
24,109 Posts
I'm gonna be biased here and say AO 2014 — the moment Stan won the AO, the field seemingly became more open, Dimitrov, Nishikori and Raonic started to surge into the Top 10, and argurably the Big Four era ended and the Big Four shuffle started, with one usually injured for an entire season, with Stan replacing the YE #4 spot, staying until around 2017 or so when Sascha and Thiem started to get to the Top 10 and Stan and Murray both out.

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
12,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Sorry to Djokovic fans who might feel hard done by. Not intentional. Will be best ever in the end anyway

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oooh, we've touched a nerve with this thread, haven't we, Captain Thin-Skinned?

The point remains that Djokovic's win at Wimbledon 2019 against a 37-year-old Federer was the expected outcome.

Djokovic was 32 years old and #1 in the world and had a much easier SF.

It was hardly a momentous result, merely the expected one.
And all 10 on the list are unexpected one I suppose based on your logic. Thats why they made the list. Now I understand. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
nah. OP tried, but we all know it was W '19 by a country mile.

Reactions: NextGenKing

·
Registered
334 Posts
Maybe some random guy in China catching a virus has also had a big effect on tennis
Karatsev story wouldn't have happened without the pandemic, that's for sure. He used the situation brilliantly to train without having to worry about results.

Wonder if there were another cases of players who massively benefited from the pandemic

·
Registered
Federer
98 Posts
For what, because Next Gen KIng did not praise Djokovic ^^

Be sure I am DEVASTATED when I read something nasty from muppets like him or you.

Except you are a muppet and he played the muppet with an agenda : trolling, attraction whoring, pleasing MTF global hate against Nole.

Karatsev 2021 is refreshing but far more insignificant so far than Zverev 2017 or Medvedev 2019 or of course Nole 2011, just brand new.

Need more time to confirm

If you put some distance, and even if NGK is right saying Tennis is not only Big 3, there are key moments in their rivalries which are quite crucial (1 2 3 are not ranks just to separate things) :

1) Nadal Djokovic Madrid SF 2009 3/6 7/6(5) 7/6(9)
Djokovic having huge leads in this match like 5/2 and loosing.
Both exhausted (because of Madrid and whole Clay season when they faced every Master 1000) in following FO and Federer winning his only FO title against Soderling.
IMO Soderling appeared a Giant in his match against Nadal not because playing super well but because Nadal being under par. Credit to him not to collapse or choke but he never confirmed despite playing two extra years so I am pretty sure I am right.

2) An Echo of this one is of course French Open 2013 SF with more or less the same situation even if more of a roller coaster.
Both those defeats after a huge lead destroyed IMO Nole's confidence on Clay if facing a 90+% Nadal.

3) Then of course 3 Matches (2 USO SF and 1 Wimbledon F) when Federer had match points and collapsed....
Considering his form at that time, Slam count would have been 22 or 23 which could have been enough to stay in front. what is 99.9% impossible now.
Obviously Djokovic has been a part of some really big matches and moments in tennis history. Sometimes you guys are a bit too sensitive about all of it. What can you expect when his own father talks crap about Federer like every single day? There's a thread up right now about it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
An honourable mention for me would be the aus open(can't remember the exact year) where sf,
Djok beat fed, and tsonga bt Nadal,
That was the start of djoks dominiance and showed that Nadal/Fed was beatable

81 - 100 of 116 Posts