Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
I might be biased as a Swiss, but I think Wawrinka somehow deserves to be included in the list. I see that it is difficult to single out one of his three slam wins, but rising from being a typical 10 to 20 ranked player to winning three slams with 5 wins over the big three included is for me one of the best stories of recent tennis history.
If I have to chose one match, it would be the French Open final against Djokovic. That was insane shotmaking.
AO'13 4R 6-setter loss to Djokovic, an emergence of GS Stanimal.
AO'14 QF 6-setter win over Djokovic, beginning of Stanimal's GS domineering together with Djokovic.
RG'17 Wawrinka-Murray SF 5-setter that virtually stopped their GS careers.

·
The special one
14,806 Posts
The 3 most defining matches in the last 15 years I think of are Wimbledon 08 and 19 and AO 2012. Honourable mentions to Djokodal Wimbledon SF 18 and RG SF 2013, Djokovic/Federer Wimbledon 14, USO 2010, 11 and 15 and Fedal AO 17 and 09

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Love how people on MTF make these subjective lists and then all the other people pitch in and argue that it doesn’t match their subjective list. 😂

Reactions: NextGenKing

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is extremely biased against Djokovic. He's likely on route to become the best ever and it's only once on this list? The WB 19 Final is iconic and even Roger fans will admit this. And Novak also won 4 Slams in a row, that was huge!! or you can ask Murray's opinion about this a player you put twice in the list lmfao (he praised Djok about this several times)

Also, the gold medal thing is absolutely irrelevant in my opinion. Maybe for British people just like the WB and Britain thing too, that's only one country of the whole world! Anyone from other country couldn't care less about these records!! NONSENSE.

There's no way only one person will be able to convey an unbiased list anyways. You should have seeked help from others.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
If one thing that will never end in this life, it is the age excuse of Fedtards. Look at the threads from 2008. Although Federer is 27 years old, They constantly made excuses. It has never changed since than. "Olderer", "Grandpa", "31 years old", bla bla, my ass. when you play, you win or you lose. End of story. Deal with it. With this phrasing you are just humilating yourself.
Lol, another Djokovic fan who struggles with the concept of aging.

Yet "gluten" is apparently a valid excuse for every defeat pre-2011.

You really are a rum bunch.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Lol @ including Karatsev. He reached a slam semi… with an easy draw and an injured opponent… but So did cecchinato and Chung who had a much tougher draw (medvedev zverev Djokovic) but no ones talking about him anymore…

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
12,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Lol @ including Karatsev. He reached a slam semi… with an easy draw and an injured opponent… but So did cecchinato and Chung who had a much tougher draw (medvedev zverev Djokovic) but no ones talking about him anymore…
Remember....i do not like Karatsev....at all!

But the background is crazy. Dont agree those comparrrisons. Chung was nextgen and cecc had been doing ok. It wasnt just a slam sf...he won a 500 after.

In saying that. It is the most questionable there ye

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lol, another Djokovic fan who struggles with the concept of aging.

Yet "gluten" is apparently a valid excuse for every defeat pre-2011.

You really are a rum bunch.
First of all, this gluten excuses for pre-2011 from djoko tards is as silly as "aging issue". Secondly, I am of reading the same things for 13 years. Now we go back and see how meaningless some federalist age excuses are. I want to give a few examples for this. In 2008, federer nadal was at wimbledon and when he lost number 1, the federalists generally said that instead of appreciating the nadal, the federer lost because he was slowing down and aging when Nadal is 27 years old, he can't even compete at this level. We can understand how funny this is by looking at Nadal's 2013 season. Not only did he win 2 grand slams, but his level of play was incredible. Another example is federer's 2012 wimbledon victory. same things again. He won a federer grand slam at the age of 31, that's amazing. Nadal and Djokovic can't even play tennis at the age of 31. This time, lets look nadal's 2017 season. 3 grand slam finals, and especially his level at roland garros, was better than the 31-year-old federer's level in any tournament. 33-year-old federer is in the grand slam final. The same things were said again. Then 33-year-old rafa goes to the 3 grand slam final. Let's move on to 2019 wimbledon now. Federer is losing and it's a matter of age again. Naturally, Man gets tired of seeing the same things all the time.

·
Registered
940 Posts
1. King winning NCYGS
for all I care.

most memorable moments for me: 40-15x3, King's net touch, Dull losing to 100+ ranked journeymen at Wimby, Fed's and Dull's miraculous comebacks in 2017, Stan's Slam finals, Cilic's run at USO, Murray's run at the end of 2016, King's comeback in 2018, esp match vs Dull at Wimby .....

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
First of all, this gluten excuses for pre-2011 from djoko tards is as silly as "aging issue". Secondly, I am of reading the same things for 13 years. Now we go back and see how meaningless some federalist age excuses are. I want to give a few examples for this. In 2008, federer nadal was at wimbledon and when he lost number 1, the federalists generally said that instead of appreciating the nadal, the federer lost because he was slowing down and aging when Nadal is 27 years old, he can't even compete at this level. We can understand how funny this is by looking at Nadal's 2013 season. Not only did he win 2 grand slams, but his level of play was incredible. Another example is federer's 2012 wimbledon victory. same things again. He won a federer grand slam at the age of 31, that's amazing. Nadal and Djokovic can't even play tennis at the age of 31. This time, lets look nadal's 2017 season. 3 grand slam finals, and especially his level at roland garros, was better than the 31-year-old federer's level in any tournament. 33-year-old federer is in the grand slam final. The same things were said again. Then 33-year-old rafa goes to the 3 grand slam final. Let's move on to 2019 wimbledon now. Federer is losing and it's a matter of age again. Naturally, Man gets tired of seeing the same things all the time.
All that waffle and we get no further:

Age has become an increasing issue for Federer over the years because of time's arrow.

Now, are there are any other utterly basic concepts you need me to explain, such as "up" or "down" or "matter" or "space"?

·
Registered
15 Posts
All that waffle and we get no further:

Age has become an increasing issue for Federer over the years because of time's arrow.

Now, are there are any other utterly basic concepts you need me to explain, such as "up" or "down" or "matter" or "space"?
Well, i did not see anything that you explained. You just typed you explained. There is a difference between " explaining " and saying " i explained".

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Well, i did not see anything that you explained. You just typed you explained. There is a difference between " explaining " and saying " i explained".
Time moves forwards, inexorably.

In the bodies of living things, this is expressed as aging.

I trust that clarifies. Knowing one of the fundamental processes of life should help you negotiate this baffling world.

·
Registered
132 Posts
OTOH, strong favourite wins match against 37-year-old veteran.

The only surprise was how close it was.
Oooh, we've touched a nerve with this thread, haven't we, Captain Thin-Skinned?

The point remains that Djokovic's win at Wimbledon 2019 against a 37-year-old Federer was the expected outcome.

Djokovic was 32 years old and #1 in the world and had a much easier SF.

It was hardly a momentous result, merely the expected one.
If that was an expected result, than surely Federer's win over former champion, 5 years younger Nadal, in a spectacular 2019 semifinal is more defining than Cilic - Nisikori USO Final, which is a blip in tennis history.

----------------------

My list (with "moments" = matches):

10) Nadal - Djokovic, Madrid 2009 semifinal, for grueling exchanges and drama, Djokovic trying to solve Nadal on clay, tiring both players and setting them back for the whole season,

9) Murray - Djokovic, Wimbledon 2013 final, for Murray getting over the hump playing clinical tennis while being under pressure from.... everyone.

8) Federer - Djokovic, US Open 2015 final, for the resilience of Djokovic in front of an openly hostile crowd against an in-form Federer who came to the finals without losing a set

7) Federer - Roddick, Wimbledon 2009 final. Even with Federer losing in 2008 and Roddick working on his fitness and playing his best tennis, the years of Federer's dominance took their toll, with Roger Andy just unraveling in the end (or Roger getting a champions dividend), it was heartbreaking, I never felt more sorry for a tennis player.

6) Djokovic - Federer, US Open 2011 semifinal, Djokovic surviving two match points on Federer's serve, setting up another 2011 final with Nadal,

5) Soderling - Nadal, RG 2009 4th round, for Soderling's impecable tennis and a complete shock of Rafa losing in RG,

4) Wawrinka - Djokovic, RG 2015 final, for Wawrinka's performance, slam breakthrough and those shorts,

3) Del Potro - Federer, US Open 2009 final, for the spectacular performance of Del Potro who obliterated 5 times consecutive champion and ended Federer's US Open dominance,

2) Djokovic - Federer, Wimbledon 2019 Final, for the drama, the impact on Slam race and the legacy of both players, Federer once more proving that he's still a threat at 38, Djokovic playing once more before a crowd 99% in favor of his opponent,

1) Federer - Nadal, Wimbledon 2008 Final, for the drama, quality, changing nature of tennis iconic rivalry

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
We both know that it wouldn't have been defining had Djoko won in 3 sets. It was all about the drama, captain Obvious.
Nice new moniker for the resident psycho. Too many ‘defining moments’ to list but those Novak H2H majors records vs ex-no.1 Swiss at Fed's most ‘dominant’ tournaments really stand out: AO;4-1, WB;3-1.

·
Premium Member
10,614 Posts
Djokovic fans in ruins.
For what, because Next Gen KIng did not praise Djokovic ^^

Be sure I am DEVASTATED when I read something nasty from muppets like him or you.

Except you are a muppet and he played the muppet with an agenda : trolling, attraction whoring, pleasing MTF global hate against Nole.

Karatsev 2021 is refreshing but far more insignificant so far than Zverev 2017 or Medvedev 2019 or of course Nole 2011, just brand new.

Need more time to confirm

If you put some distance, and even if NGK is right saying Tennis is not only Big 3, there are key moments in their rivalries which are quite crucial (1 2 3 are not ranks just to separate things) :

1) Nadal Djokovic Madrid SF 2009 3/6 7/6(5) 7/6(9)
Djokovic having huge leads in this match like 5/2 and loosing.
Both exhausted (because of Madrid and whole Clay season when they faced every Master 1000) in following FO and Federer winning his only FO title against Soderling.
IMO Soderling appeared a Giant in his match against Nadal not because playing super well but because Nadal being under par. Credit to him not to collapse or choke but he never confirmed despite playing two extra years so I am pretty sure I am right.

2) An Echo of this one is of course French Open 2013 SF with more or less the same situation even if more of a roller coaster.
Both those defeats after a huge lead destroyed IMO Nole's confidence on Clay if facing a 90+% Nadal.

3) Then of course 3 Matches (2 USO SF and 1 Wimbledon F) when Federer had match points and collapsed....
Considering his form at that time, Slam count would have been 22 or 23 which could have been enough to stay in front. what is 99.9% impossible now.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts