Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Maybe even bigger than DelPo's USO 2009, who's also not on the list. Crazy.. One of the best runs ever, he killed Rafa and Roger back then...
Tennis god protected Rod Laver's CYGS and send a Suisse to rescue Federer and Laver's legacy at that point. Even Nadal.

Reactions: Jester

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
But you mentioned it as a given fact that Djokovic ends up with less USO titles than Nadal after he retires ?
It's not a given fact, but a likelihood.

And that makes not only the DQ, but also the two USO final losses to Rafa and the USO final loss to Murray, very significant in retrospect.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I might be biased as a Swiss, but I think Wawrinka somehow deserves to be included in the list. I see that it is difficult to single out one of his three slam wins, but rising from being a typical 10 to 20 ranked player to winning three slams with 5 wins over the big three included is for me one of the best stories of recent tennis history.
If I have to chose one match, it would be the French Open final against Djokovic. That was insane shotmaking.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I kind of agree with Djokofans here. Wimby '19 is one of the most significant defining moments along with the RG '13 net touch. The Karatsev and Isner ones are not simply in the league of the other 7-8 (along with Cilic '14) and should be replaced by the ones I mentioned. Actually, here is the list I think that need to be in the 10.
1) Stan AO '14 or RG '15 instead of Cilic '14: Both extremely significant matches, especially the first one. The only time a fully fit and focussed Djokovic lost at AO in the last decade.
2) RG '13 SF: The net touch may or may not have decided the match, but it was a stunning moment. The match was the closest anyone came to beating Rafa at RG in the SF stage and beyond.
3) WB '19: As a Rafa fan I was hoping for a Nole victory due to the slam count, but even to this day I feel for Roger and his fans. Quite simply one of the top 3 most dramatic moments in tennis history, even if the match itself wasn't of great quality.

Reactions: VyRa | esq.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
It's not a given fact, but a likelihood.

And that makes not only the DQ, but also the two USO final losses to Rafa and the USO final loss to Murray, very significant in retrospect.
Okay, thanks for clarifying. Because if one does not know how you mean it, one understands it as a given fact the way you wrote it.

Plus two injury tournaments with both losses against Wawrinka in 2016 and 2019. And his 2017 pause.

All in total significant. Murray won thanks to the wind. Otherwise it should have been Djokovic.

I am happy that he at least won three of those with that backstory. Minimum achieved.

2007 against Federer was a close fight and battle as well. Straight sets do not show how close Djokovic was of actually beating Fed that year. His Montreal win before and Melbourne win after proved his capability of doing so on a hardcourt. Such a shame that he failed against Fed in the 2008 semifinal.

Reactions: The Federest

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
12,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I kind of agree with Djokofans here. Wimby '19 is one of the most significant defining moments along with the RG '13 net touch. The Karatsev and Isner ones are not simply in the league of the other 7-8 (along with Cilic '14) and should be replaced by the ones I mentioned. Actually, here is the list I think that need to be in the 10.
1) Stan AO '14 or RG '15 instead of Cilic '14: Both extremely significant matches, especially the first one. The only time a fully fit and focussed Djokovic lost at AO in the last decade.
2) RG '13 SF: The net touch may or may not have decided the match, but it was a stunning moment. The match was the closest anyone came to beating Rafa at RG in the SF stage and beyond.
3) WB '19: As a Rafa fan I was hoping for a Nole victory due to the slam count, but even to this day I feel for Roger and his fans. Quite simply one of the top 3 most dramatic moments in tennis history, even if the match itself wasn't of great quality.
Thanks for thoughts, this is what I wanted. I see your points for sure and I can only see the Karatsev one coming out though, the other 9 sum up the era way too well in my opinion. The Delpo one is a good option too, its very tough choices.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
THIS ! Great stuff by El Toro. Well done. Could not fully agree with your listing. Practically everything you have written down here. Thumbs up.

Reactions: El_Toro

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
12,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I might be biased as a Swiss, but I think Wawrinka somehow deserves to be included in the list. I see that it is difficult to single out one of his three slam wins, but rising from being a typical 10 to 20 ranked player to winning three slams with 5 wins over the big three included is for me one of the best stories of recent tennis history.
If I have to chose one match, it would be the French Open final against Djokovic. That was insane shotmaking.
Absolutely, if he won only one, he probably would be more inclined to be included. I used Murray as it had the history of Fred Perry 77 year wait

·
Registered
314 Posts
I wouldn't have included Mahut/Isner nor Karatsev as these are just tennis facts, nothing historical or legendary that we should tell our kids about

Mahut/Isner just proved that both had great serve and were so poor in return, and that Wimbledon needed to implement a 5th set TB

Karatsev's story is clearly overrated because he came as a qualifier, but he was easily in the top 100 best players in the world since the second half of 2020. It is the frozen covid ranking that prevented him to enter MD directly. The only great player he beat on his way to SF was Dimitrov, and Grigor was so injured that he wasn't even able to put his socks on himself before the match
His story is nothing crazier than those of Cecchinato, Edmund, Chung, Querrey or Gulbis (or Baghdatis, Verkerk if we go even further back)

I am realizing also reading the initial post that if you don't watch a great match live, you cannot remember it as legendary moment. The impact is not the same

Honorable mention to
  • Djokovic v Federer in Wimbledon 2019, obviously - what a thriller
  • Wawrinka beating Djokovic in FO against all-odds, and ruining what could have been his only chance of a career Grand Slam. Djokovic had done a near-perfect tournament until this final
  • 20 year old Del Potro beating Roger in USO. No one could have expected that. Roger had just won USO 5 times in a row, and surprisingly never won it again after
  • Nadal v Medvedev at USO which was a little like a symbolic fight between aging Big3 refusing to give way to NextGen leader even after Danil's comeback in 3rd + 4th set
  • Federer v Tommy Haas in FO 2009

And if we go further back
  • Sampras's last USO win
  • Ivanisevic at Wimbledon
  • Agassi coming back from 0-2 lead v Medvedev to win FO and finally get a career GS, 2 years after dropping to rank #150
  • The Argentinian final Gaudio v Coria final, so many ups and downs: Gaudio coming back from 2 sets down, saving MP in 5th, Coria serving for the match and eventually losing
  • The 4 TB match between Sampras and Agassi in that USO QF

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Mahut - Isner was the cover story of all newspapers in the world. Tennis rarely sees that. I agree about Karatsev though and I am actually expecting him to fall down faster than he climbed up.

Some breathtaking memories in those posts :yeah:

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
No Wimby'19 final in top10? Ridiculous. Potentially most important match (and most important match points) in tennis history.
Wimby'19 was a match of gigantic proportions: fight for legacy, GS race, many would say GOAThood (I don't use it though).

Federer was inches from biggest moment of his career: at the age of 38 winning Wimby after beating Djokodal in b2b matches, absolutely amazing story. He also had a big chance to fend off Djoko in the GS race: for them this match was actually a battle for two slams (3 vs 5 slams of difference) but Djoko managed to win it. Considering that, these MPs were defining moment of recent history.
As much as I fucking hate this match and its ending, I have to agree with this. It was a huge moment for Federer, massive. This match could've meant so much for him. History defying match for both.

·
Registered
334 Posts
His story is nothing crazier than those of Cecchinato, Edmund, Chung, Querrey or Gulbis (or Baghdatis, Verkerk if we go even further back)
I'm going to respectfully disagree.

These players were established top100 players or near. If you're judging Karatsev story from the beginning of 2021, that puts him on this list. But the key difference is that Karatsev was an absolutely hopeless case in 2019. 11 straight losses in challenger tour / atp tour q:

1. Choinski (date: August 2019)
  2. Clezar
  3. Altmaier
  4. Dzhumhur
  5. Lestienne
  6. Machac
  7. Chardy
  8. Benchetrit
  9. Bemelmans
  10. Neuchrist (rank 701!)
  11. Kotov (date: November 2019)
After that, he was ranked 287 (at the beginning of 2020).

To rebuild after such a devastating streak, climbing up to 114 in half a year (his ranking fluctuated between 300 and 250 during the first half of 2020) and then to 27 in two months(!) (well, three if you count Australian Open Qs), whilst winning the first ever ATP singles and doubles titles having never gotten to a third round of an ATP main tour tournament before is a truly remarkable achievement and is something unprecedented in the history of tennis.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Assuming we are looking at the last 15 years, here is my list:

1. Djokovic winning NCYGS.
  2. Murray winning Wimbledon 2013.
  3. La decima for Rafa at RG.
  4. Stan winning RG 2015.
  5. Wimbledon 2019 final.
  6. AO 2012 final.
  7. Delpo winning USO 2009.
  8. Wimbledon 2009 final.
  9. Isner vs. Mahut.
  10. Djokovic winning all nine Masters events.

·
Premium Member
11,994 Posts
And title is not just about matches, but moments?? Than you gotta put Novak's return USO 2011 and his touching the net RG 2013.
This is still a bigger moment than Wimbledon 2019 / USO 2011.

Never before seen and potentially stopped Novak from being the guaranteed GOAT today. He went into a slump for a bit after this slam and incident.

·
Premium Member
11,994 Posts
Your list is pretty good , I would add:

# Djokovic return winners against Federer US Open 2010
# Wawrinka AO 2013 - playing one of the longest AO matchs with great quality, propelled Wawrinka into becoming a slam champion
# Djokovic net touch FO 2013 , plagued Djokovic for almost a year and stopped him from potentially getting the biggest win over Nadal
# Federer match points 2019 - Changed course of history
# Del Potro 2009 - 2018 , came back 4 different times. to the top of the game, taken out again and again.

Reactions: NextGenKing

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Federer winning the 2017 AO final might be the biggest upset in all of tennis history. Which is weird given that he was a 4 time champion. But given his 4.5 year slam drought and slam record vs Nadal it felt impossible, especially coming back in the 5th set.

·
Registered
15 Posts
OTOH, strong favourite wins match against 37-year-old veteran.

The only surprise was how close it was.
If one thing that will never end in this life, it is the age excuse of Fedtards. Look at the threads from 2008. Although Federer is 27 years old, They constantly made excuses. It has never changed since than. "Olderer", "Grandpa", "31 years old", bla bla, my ass. when you play, you win or you lose. End of story. Deal with it. With this phrasing you are just humilating yourself.

41 - 60 of 116 Posts