Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The field was announced Tuesday

here is the draw

UCLA way down at #6 but everyone knows they are one of the prohibitive favorites to win the title.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: 2014 NCAA Tournament

UNC was beaten fairly easily by Virginia twice this season but luckily for them they will avoid them in the draw until potentially the final. UNC is always dangerous with Schnur and Schneider up top. They will have to face #10 Georgia in the round of 16 most likely and that will be tough because the final 16 onward is hosted in Athens,GA at the home of UGA. They have amazing crowds and they will make it tough for the Tar Heels. Think of it as a more intense davis cup atmosphere.

Picture of the Athens stadium filled with UGA fans

Great facility. I've been there multiple times. They support their dawgs like crazy

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

to get a sense of the crowd here is a video I personally took 2 years ago in Athens. Georgia and Pepperdine are tied 3-3 in the quarterfinals and this is the deciding game where Alex Llompart serves out Sadio Doumbia (both now futures players) to clinch the upset win over Georgia for Pepeprdine to shock the crowd.

·
28,452 Posts

UNC was beaten fairly easily by Virginia twice this season but luckily for them they will avoid them in the draw until potentially the final. UNC is always dangerous with Schnur and Schneider up top. They will have to face #10 Georgia in the round of 16 most likely and that will be tough because the final 16 onward is hosted in Athens,GA at the home of UGA. They have amazing crowds and they will make it tough for the Tar Heels. Think of it as a more intense davis cup atmosphere.

Picture of the Athens stadium filled with UGA fans

Great facility. I've been there multiple times. They support their dawgs like crazy
I jus tlike Schnur. Besides him and Monette, what other Canadians are here?

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Does Baylor have ANY chance at this?
slight chance. They did beat UCLA earlier this year. They have a very strong top 2 and bottom 2, They are a bit weak at 3 and 4 though. They can beat one of the top 4 but unlikely to beat more than one of them in a row which would be needed to win the national title.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I was in college station today and saw Cal upset Texas A&M 4-3. I recorded a few videos. I will upload them tomorrow. I did upload this one...

Campbell Johnson closes out Shane Vinsant

Vinsant was up 3-1 in the 3rd and then started to cramp. The video shows Vinsant cramping like crazy as he gets closed out. He had to be carried into the locker room from the ground. Sad end to the season and another disappointment from A&M. Massive win for Cal though.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

great match going on between UNC and UGA right now. Schnur has split sets, going to 3. Live video and scoring

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

absolutely sensational tennis right now. both matches as close as they can be

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

The final will be Southern Cal vs Oklahoma

Oklahoma 4, UCLA 2 (doubles to OU)

1. #5 Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. #1 Clay Thompson (UCLA) 0-6, 6-2, 7-6(5)
2. #7 Axel Alvarez (OU) def. #2 Marcos Giron (UCLA) 6-4, 6-2
3. #35 Mackenzie McDonald (UCLA) def. #41 Dane Webb (OU) 6-4, 6-4
4. #53 Andrew Harris (OU) vs. #71 Gage Brymer (UCLA) 4-6, 6-3, 2-3, unfinished
5. Adrien Puget (UCLA) def. Austin Siegel (OU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Alex Ghilea (OU) def. #95 Karue Sell (UCLA) 6-3, 4-6, 7-6(5)

USC 5, Virginia 1 (doubles to USC)

(1) #10 Yannick Hanfmann (USC) def. #6 Alex Domijan (UVA) - 4-6, 7-6 (10), 6-4*
(2) #9 Ray Sarmiento (USC) def. #4 Mitchell Frank (UVA) - 6-4, 7-5
(3) #46 Ryan Shane (UVA) def. #42 Roberto Quiroz (USC) - 6-1, 6-4
(4) #91 Max de Vroome (USC) vs. #113 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVA) - 6-7 (8), 7-6 (2), 3-1 susp.
(5) Eric Johnson (USC) def. Justin Shane (UVA) - 6-4, 7-5
(6) Michael Grant (USC) def. J.C. Aragone (UVA) - 7-5, 3-6, 6-3

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
epic. Only word to describe this night of college tennis.

Big game Ray again steps up on the biggest stag. This time dictating the points vs Frank in the first set then in the 2nd 2nd rallies from 1-5 down to win 6 straight games to get the win. Yannick Hanfmann pulls out a 12-10 2nd set tiebreak, saving 3 match points and then takes over in the 3rd. Johnson, trailing in both sets down a break, rallies to get a straight set win.

Guillermo Alcorta lost 6-2 6-0 to Thompson earlier this year and then begins this match eating a bagel. Put always the ultimate problem solver, Alcora buckles down and finds a way. Hit's an out of this world pass at 5-5 in the 3rd set breaker and then secures the win. Axel Alvarez decides to turn on god-mod just at the right time, his last 4 sets in the tournament have been (after dropping the first 6-7) 6-0 6-0 vs Ronnie Schnieder of UNC then 6-4 6-2 vs Marcos Giron. There were times when it looked like he was toying with Giron. Sick tennis from the spaniard. Alexandru Ghileau down there at 6. barely played all season, was not in the top 6, shows nerves of absolute steel to rally from 3-5 down in the 3rd set breaker and beat Sell. Played an unbelievably brave point on match point that was executed perfectly to secure the win.

Just stunning stuff. Despite these two teams being the top seeds, Virginia and UCLA were the bug favorites in each of these matches.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts