Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has already been discussed but the serach option is lousy because just about every thread has the word backhand in it somewhere. Anyways I've come to a point in time where I need to make a decision if I want a one handed backhand or two handed backhand. I've been using a 2 hander and it used to be good but now its getting worse (maybe from lack of practice) so I was just wondering what you guys think are the pros and cons of each shot. Thanks in advance and sorry if this was already posted. Also if you don't mind, it would be helpful if you could mention some of the better 1 handed and 2 handed players.

·
Registered
17,533 Posts
I use a one hander, but its a matter of preference really. Which ever backhand you feel most comfortable hitting. The two hander is probably easier to control, but you have more options with the one handed backhand (ie., slice, topspin, etc.)

·
Banned
34,169 Posts
the scrappy players all use double handers: 99% of WTA, Agassi, Hewitt, Chang, Nadal.

the purists all use a single hander: Federer, Gaudio, Gasquet, Henin, Fena Gonzalez, Guga etc.

as well as retired players: Sampras, Edberg, Vilas and so on...

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
its.like.that said:
the purists all use a single hander: Federer, Gaudio, Gasquet, Henin, Fena Gonzalez, Guga etc. as well as retired players: Wilander, Sampras, Edberg, Vilas and so on...
Wilander had a two-handed backhand. He sometimes played a one handed backhand slice, but the two-handed backhand was even his most famous shot.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
one hander:
pros: more disguise, farther reach, more shot choices
cons: less power and control compared to two hander (not always though, depends on the player)

two hander:
pros: more power, more control, can get away with not changing grips drastically
cons: lesser reach, less disguise and flexibility

·
F***ing have it
17,562 Posts
less disguise with a two-handed ... :scratch: ... ask Hingis, Pierce, Venus, Serena, Andre or Nalby :bowdown:

·
Registered
565 Posts
My kid's (he's 12) instructor just switched him from a one handed to a two handed. He started hitting it so much better, and having way more control. I was devastated (not really, just that I love the one handed so much more.) The instructor did tell him he will work on his one handed, especially as an approach shot to get him into net - so all is not completely lost.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
i think it depends how good you are. for a more better player it is more easy to develop an good one hander. but when you are not real good the one handed is then the ugliest one most of the times. stick to your double handed one...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I've just switched my double handed backhand to a single handed, so I think I can answer this

I don't regret my decision one bit, you can do so much more with a single handed

To me there are three lesser aspects about it: it's harder on shoulder height balls, it is worse for your elbow and it's not easy to play with in windy conditions

But apart from that a one handed is magic, you can do so much more with

and btw that you would have less power with a single handed is absolute bullshit

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
i use doublehanded because i'm a weak girl :sad:
Safins 2handed is really great!!! :drool:
The best 1handed ...........(sorry) Henin-Hardenne. Amazing!!!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
the best one handed backhand i ever saw is volandri's but because he is not real top you will never hear of that. and smashnovas backhand is better than the one of henin but same there...

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
It seems a case of beginner/amatuer vs profesional.

If you're a pro, then the one hander seems superior, especially in terms of power & flexibility as you can really swing your arm into it (ala Henin Hardenne), the only problem is it needs a 'wind up', much more so than a forehand or a 2 handed back hand.

The 2 hander can be brought to bear quickly as your other hand can support the other and you can pull off shots quicker. Especially superior to the one hander in this sense as you can react to a bad or random bounce quicker and with less damage to your shot.

I'm The Pro only in name, so I use a 2 hander, since I'm not powerful enough for 1, and I find the wind up to difficult to get right.

The 2 hander is a wee bit less flexible shot wise then the 1 hander, but it's cheap, cheerful and easy and gives you time to concentrate on things like what you're opponent's doing, what you're gonna do, and so on.

Also, I find topspin and slice easier to perform with a 2 hander, but I'd say it's even between 1 and 2 hands. It's mostly preference really.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Two-handed backhands are easier to learn and the results come faster. I think that's why so many coaches (especially American) teach it. The one-handed backhand is the Masterati of tennis shots. A high performance weapon with a lot of subtle parts that, when all fired up and working together, produce magical shot making in the supreme.

·
Registered
516 Posts
madmanfool said:
I've just switched my double handed backhand to a single handed, so I think I can answer this

I don't regret my decision one bit, you can do so much more with a single handed

To me there are three lesser aspects about it: it's harder on shoulder height balls, it is worse for your elbow and it's not easy to play with in windy conditions

But apart from that a one handed is magic, you can do so much more with

and btw that you would have less power with a single handed is absolute bullshit
Correct about the high shots to the backhand (case in point, Nadal v. Federer).

Windy conditions shouldn't make a one handed backhand more difficult. Tip top footwork is what you need in windy conditions (well, all the time really but especially in wind).

If you hit a one-handed backhand correctly, you should have ZERO problems with your elbow or any other body part. Get someone to check your technique. It's a painless shot when done correctly. This is true for all shots in tennis.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
the most talented players use single handed backhands. double handed backhands are so much easier to master, thats why most kids these days use double handed backhands.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
tennisace said:
My kid's (he's 12) instructor just switched him from a one handed to a two handed. He started hitting it so much better, and having way more control. I was devastated (not really, just that I love the one handed so much more.) The instructor did tell him he will work on his one handed, especially as an approach shot to get him into net - so all is not completely lost.
your kid is not strong enough to cope with a single handed backhand, most players develop it later when they become stronger. very few kids play with a single handed backhand at the beginning because its just to hard for them.
its good that he changed, mayb later when he gets older he might convert back if hes good enough.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
i have an 1 handed since i am 6...

·
Registered
516 Posts
tennisace said:

Your kid's instructor probably switched him to a two-hander because he doesn't know how to teach a one-hander very well. Of course your kid hit better with a two-hander, it's easier and results come quicker and the coach gets to keep his job. Pete was 12-13 years old when he switched from a two to a one-handed backhand.

The one hander approach to the net is nothing more than a slice. Hope your son doesn't come to rely on the slice, much the way Roddick is now.

Has anyone here noticed how much more Roddick is hitting the slice instead of a topspin backhand lately? Not good.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts