450 Posts
Re: Some Athletes’ Genes Help Outwit Doping Test

No such luck for Coria.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Re: California Becomes the 2nd State in the USA to Legalize Same-Sex Marriage

Good for California.

Now all they have to do is follow suit in the other 48 states. :)

·
Registered
5,228 Posts

Bad decision. Apparently the court is "legislating from the bench,"...which they can do...but, a recent proposition in California got 60+% approval to keep Gay marriage illegal. (2000?)

Interesting thing is: why? Why now? (2008 elections at the Federal level??--)

·
Registered
14,052 Posts

:clap2:

If the argument is going to be made that marriage is good for society, how can you deny certain people who help make up that society this benefit?

·
Registered
17,866 Posts

There is no reason to deny two non-related consenting adults the right to marry. This isn't holy matrimony and it has nothing to do with the church or religion, it's is a legal social contract between two people, and 'the state' has awarded benefits to the people who voluntarily choose this social contract. If the state did not give those benefits, then this probably wouldn't be an issue.

There was a time in the US when a married woman was considered property with no rights of her own, but thankfully our society progressed past that 'traditional' definition of marriage. It is time for us to make another step and recognize the rights of committed same sex couples.

Now, J'torian, does that mean you don't have to be my gay hubby anymore, and you can just be my husband now? :lol: Oh wait, that's a different issue, polyandry.

Reactions: Bibberz

·
#freeviktor
93,849 Posts

Awesome news :)

I hope NJ gets there soon :yeah:

·
Registered
6,736 Posts

New Jersey already has civil unions, which I think is sufficient as long as they guarantee the same rights as married couples. I know there are members of the LGBT community who will argue me about that.

·
Registered
14,645 Posts

Adeegee and Escude need to now move to California to fulfil their dreams.

·
Registered
14,052 Posts

good luck with that in the Southern states or West Virginia
I'm sure there was a time when that was thought of about slavery...

New Jersey already has civil unions, which I think is sufficient as long as they guarantee the same rights as married couples. I know there are members of the LGBT community who will argue me about that.
Separate but equal.
-Best American policy ever:yeah::tape:

·
Registered
124 Posts

I'm pretty indifferent towards gay marriage, but America was founded on a libertarian principle of minimal government, before the religious right's hostility to common sense became widespread. The more individual freedom the better.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts

good luck with that in the Southern states or West Virginia
I know. I mean, there is a southern State (forgot which one) where a blow job is illegal even between a married couple:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
97,310 Posts

Nikki will you marry me? :hearts:

·
Registered
17,115 Posts

I know. I mean, there is a southern State (forgot which one) where a blow is illegal even between a married couple:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:
This just makes it naughtier, improving the standard of living.

Reactions: partygirl

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

There is no reason to deny two non-related consenting adults the right to marry. This isn't holy matrimony and it has nothing to do with the church or religion, it's is a legal social contract between two people, and 'the state' has awarded benefits to the people who voluntarily choose this social contract. If the state did not give those benefits, then this probably wouldn't be an issue.

There was a time in the US when a married woman was considered property with no rights of her own, but thankfully our society progressed past that 'traditional' definition of marriage. It is time for us to make another step and recognize the rights of committed same sex couples.
Exactly. Good decision, but long overdue. There's no logical reason to deny gay-marriage. Why are so many people against something that won't effect them in any way (certainly not in a negative one) but is very important for those people involved and actually improves their quality of life?
I'll never understand that.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts

Well, the State Leg. legalized gay marriage twice already; the only reason it was never signed into law was 'cause we have a cyborg Republican for a governor. :p

The timing is interesting but this has been in court for four years now, since Newsom created all that fuss back then; I don't think there was anything behind the timing other than they finally got around to deciding on the case.
Met the Arnold...while I don't wanna give him much...(although did DID say he wasn't a great cultural conservative...) I don't want to trivially take anything away.

61%....five more points from the electorate, and that's an avalanche of public opinion the other way.

It did look like it was a personal conflict...the Governor out of the state and San Francisco allows gay marriages. :shrug:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts

Could it be a money thing?? Those gays have a lot of economic clout type of reasoning??

·
Registered
17,866 Posts

:spit: I'm still your gay hubby, but now I have rights to half your tennis souvenirs. :devil: Pay up! :armed: :lol:
Yeah, you can have half of my souvenirs from the 'not towels' category (which basically means all my back issues of Tennis mag). :ras:

{had falafel today without you, please don't hate me but it's too damn hot to cook dinner tonight}

Richard, this is not an economic decision, it's simply an equal rights decision.

1 - 20 of 388 Posts