Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Re: Baghdatis def. Safin 6-4 6-4 2-6 3-6 6-2

Most painful three hours of my life...sets 3 and 4 featured a great winner/ue differential from Marat but a slip in the fifth and it was over...

3rd and 4th sets had Marat using his head instead of what we've seen in 07 consisting of blasting every ball as hard as he possibly could...no, he saved that for set 5...sigh

·
Registered
878 Posts

Great fight from Safin to get back into it, but that last set was a huge disappointment.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,400 Posts

finally a good night session match

we could see a very good Safin for 2 sets but Baggy regrouped and Safin couldnt hold that rhythm anymore. He looked in control after the 4th but just lost the grip of the match

good serving from Marat (1-2 DFs I think ???? )

·
Registered
6,335 Posts

Safin disappeared in the 5th set, if he carried his form from the 4th set onwards it would of been close.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts

It was close to win to Marat...:sad:
Anyway, nice show from these players! :worship:

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts

Baggy nearly foot-faulted it away but overall had longer passages of good play than Safin, who flitted a lot more regularly from good play to 'doing a Safin'... :tape:

·
In hiding.
19,116 Posts

Great match at times, Safin showed some flashes of old, served well as well, but after losing sets 3 and 4, Marcos jumped out to a lead in the fifth and it was pretty much a done deal from then on.

Marcos certainly hasn't had an easy road to the third round, on paper at least, having beaten two previous champs at the AO. Quite interesting he had to meet them in the first two rounds. :lol:

·
Registered
288 Posts

That match was absolutely fan-freaking-tastic. It had me yelling @ my TV. My mom even came downstairs to tell me to shut up, but then she became enthralled herself.

Granted, there were a ton of errors on both sides, but it was very entertaining. They hyped this match to death, and I'm glad that I stuck around to watch it.

Safin did VERY well to come back from 2 sets down, but Baggy was just too much.:worship:

I know Baggy has a tough draw, but I'm starting to believe that he can really make a run here. The last time he did that, I became a permanent fan.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts

110 UFEs between them. Well-worth staying up for. Baghs found that extra gear and stepped it up in the fifth. Marat, even though he lost this was one of his best matches in over 2 years. He's definitely not done.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

I didn't expect that from Safin in the last set. He was dominating the 3rd and 4th set.

Has Safin ever come back from 2 sets down?

·
Ace Loveforty
83,400 Posts

good thing that there were no signs of injury for Baggy, he has a good chance against Hewitt if Lleyton plays like today

·
Ace Loveforty
83,400 Posts

I didn't expect that from Safin in the last set. He was dominating the 3rd and 4th set.

Has Safin ever come back from 2 sets down?
never

the EC commentators kept repeating that

·
Registered
3,735 Posts

Great match at times, Safin showed some flashes of old, served well as well, but after losing sets 3 and 4, Marcos jumped out to a lead in the fifth and it was pretty much a done deal from then on.

Marcos certainly hasn't had an easy road to the third round, on paper at least, having beaten two previous champs at the AO. Quite interesting he had to meet them in the first two rounds. :lol:
Marcos faces a former finalist in next round:)

1 - 20 of 149 Posts