Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Re: -★-★-★- US Open 2019: Come to my party -★-★-★-

With Roger's comeback in 2017, I had put aside the nerves and stress and was able to just enjoy having Roger out there. The AO win was the biggest part, but don't forget the IW/Miami double... and then of course Wimbledon.

Nadal won the French Open - which was fairly expected - but when he won the USO 2017 my heart sank a little -- seemed like putting some distance between himself and Rafa/Novak in the slam race just wasn't meant to be for Fed.

When he won #20 at AO 2018, I tried to really be at peace with whatever the final outcome was going to be (in terms of numbers) and just enjoy having Roger on the court; 20 is a good number, and you can't control what the others will do. And that lasted for a long while, even though he didn't add to his GS total. I was feeling fairly at peace.

But then the painful nature of the 2019 Wimbledon final has been eating away at me. But even before that: somehow in 2019 Roger just doesn't look as happy to be on the court as he did in 2017 and 18. I think he genuinely just wants to be enjoying himself out there -- but it's impossible to just shrug off a loss like the one at Wimbledon.

And it would be easier to take if newer players were able to really establish themselves. But they are so inconsistent and flaky - and so you just see Nadal and Djokovic taking advantage and cleaning up and Federer - for one reason or another - never able to do so.

* * * * * * * * *​

BUT... on the other hand -- I really can't be that "what have you done for me lately?" greedy person. I can't be like "the only thing that matters was 5 minutes ago" and act like I haven't been on this great ride for many, many years, with so many happy moments, just to whine about how these recent losses -- which are so heartbreaking for Roger -- affect me. I don't want to live that way -- it's a miserable way to live your life.

I can't pretend that this didn't happen and/or that it now doesn't mean anything:

*this image is #100

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Re: -★-★-★- US Open 2019: Come to my party -★-★-★-

Roger also hasn't tweeted or even posted anything on insta since first week of Wimbledon...that Wimbledon final hurt him really badly as expected...that's why I was hoping a win from USO would atleast help in erasing some of the painful memories of the Wimbledon final but it also ended in a bad way. If he would have gone past that Dimitrov match, I really think he could have won the title. USO has always ended in heartbreaks for more than a decade now. I have kinda given up on USO in future.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts