Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10,402 Posts
Re: -★-★-★- US Open 2019: Come to my party -★-★-★-

Getting closer to that for sure. Fed has a pretty open path to the final. We shall see how he does against Dimitrov.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts

Hoping that he'll do all right and the switch to nighttime again won't faze him. Afraid he'll have to do it without me - I seem to be coming down with a migraine :(

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Damn, I get home for the second set & he loses it. :frown2:

Come on, Roger...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

Finally get a USO feed and Fed looks tight, off a bit. Still hanging in though - lets go!

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Roger gets a break in the third set, then almost gives it back, but manages to save 2 BPs and hangs on for 5-3. Come on, Rog! :cheerleader:

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Fed breaks Dimi to take the third set 6-3! :banana:

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

oh damn! Roger broken in the first game of the 4th set. :fiery:

come on, Roger, get it back!!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

Not feeling it tonight - he is just going to have to tough this one out!

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Roger spends 12 minutes just to hold his serve and not go down a double break -- burned a lot of energy and he's still one break down, 3-4*

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Gaaahhh!! Fed had 6 break points -- including triple-break point (0-40) and failed on all of them. Dimitrov wins the fourth set. :fiery:

One more set to decide if our party is over or will go on.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Federer has called for the trainer during the break between sets, and has gone off-court for MTO. :crying:

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Roger broken in first game of 5th set. :crying:

But really I just want him to be okay no matter how the match ends.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Dimitrov serving for the match... 5-2. :crying:

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Sorry, guys.... the party is over. :crying:

That set was tough to watch.. I am glad it wasn't a bagel, easily could have been... especially knowing Fed would finish the match no matter what.

Get well soon, Roger; we love you. :sobbing:

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Sigh...
Some quotes from journos on Twitter from press:

Federer: ‘I feel low, you know. Just disappointed as I thought I was playing well. Thought if I could get through I’d have two days off. I was playing with it (the back injury) the whole time, but I was able to play.’
https://twitter.com/DavidLawTennis/status/1169098509536190464

Federer doesn't want to take it away from Dimitrov. "I was able to play. It's okay. It's how it goes. I tried my best. By far not too bad to give up or anything. Grigor was able to put me away. I fought with what I had. That's it. So it's okay"
https://twitter.com/josemorgado/status/1169103111828508673

A devastated rogerfederer said to me: «I have a good idea what the injury is. It’s something that will bother me today, tomorrow and the day after tommorrow. Then it will be okay. That makes it even more disappointing that I didn’t find a way today.» #rogerfederer #USOpen19
https://twitter.com/SimonGraf1/status/1169116726698696704

Video of press conference here: https://www.usopen.org/en_US/video/2019-09-04/1567570740925.html

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

:crying:

·
Registered
15,229 Posts

Well what a shit year it has been from what could've been his greatest. Played by far the best tennis amongst the "big 3"(always pisses me off when the other two pushers get clubbed with a once in a lifetime talent) in Wimbledon, and went home with nothing. As if one of DJ's returns couldn't have gone out or hit the net on one of the CPs, who drops sets to nobodies like RBA makes 100+ UEs against Simon, but no everything gotta land in against Fed.

Ofcourse Fed gets Nadal on the windiest day ever at RG when he doesn't even get a clear shot to test his improved BH strategy there. Nope can't have that. Has Fed ever got the rub of the green against Nadal at RG? I can't remember even one instance.

And the usual shitshow at USO only because they've completely ruined the USO courts and Fed picks up an injury cause he has to hit those heavy high bouncing balls in swamp conditions.

Atleast now I hope Fed's got all his rotten luck out of the way cause it seems he just can't catch a break while the other two pushers are showered with good luck and it's always gotta come against Fed. Either it's an injury/fluke return on CP/some random player GOATing. Always Gotta be something to topple the applecart. Fed winning is against the law.Can't have the greatest player ever to pick up a racquet win another a slam. What a weird world we live in. Just glad 2019's over. Hope 2020 isn't shittier.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts

Haven't been posting much here since the Wimbledon debacle. I attended my first US Open last week...was lucky to watch all 3 matches of Roger. First 2 matches made me worried but he looked so good in the 3rd match. He was flying all over the court. He also looked so freaking good vs Goffin. That's when I realized that there has been extreme contrast in Roger's performances at USO between day and night sessions. So, I was hoping he can scrape through that Dimitrov match considering he wouldn't be playing another night session after that but damn the back issues came at the worst possible time. I still felt he could have won it in 3 despite playing poorly if he took care of the 4-5 game in 2nd set well but that was a very weird service game. That's when I thought he isn't gonna win this today. Looks like this USO is pretty similar to 2017...Roger having back issues & losing in QF...Rafa winning without having to play rest of the big3 and having a relatively easy draw. I always wanted Roger to win another US Open as it was my favorite slam growing up and loved watching Roger the most on the US Open courts but the way he has been struggling in night sessions in recent years makes me think that his chances of winning another US Open is very minimal at this stage. And also doesn't help that the courts are freaking slow.

On a side note, US Open trip was very enjoyable. Almost all the tennis merchandise I saw at US Open was Roger related (RF hats, RF shirts)...the New York crowd loves him so much..they cheer for Roger everytime even when he is up vs an underdog...was lovely to see so much Roger love. I also met a lot of random Roger fans during the trip(people coming from all over the world) and shared lot of fun stories related to Roger/tennis.

Aside from Roger, I also managed to saw almost all the top players play. Managed to watch my other favs (Bianca, Vika, Muchova) play from nice courtside seats as they played in outside courts in initial rounds. I was there for 5 days and managed to cover like 30-35 matches in that span. For someone like me who never even watched live tennis before, I enjoyed those 5 days a lot. Outside courts matches were loads of fun to watch to in the first week with awesome atmosphere. Overall, loved the US open and gotta say it was a great experience. Would love to go back again sometime in near future.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts

Does anyone else feel the same after the Wimbledon final?

That Wimbledon final might end up being a very crucial moment for me..ever since that match happened, my perspective regarding sports has changed. That match was exhausting emotionally. I used to be lot more emotional while watching sports and used to take lot of results very personally but now, I don't really feel that much. Roger is the only active athlete with whom I am still so attached emotionally...I still get nervous watching his matches but not as much as before. I guess accepting that he isn't gonna end his career with most no.of GS (which sucks) has made this process easier and has helped in taking these losses much better.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts

So, I was hoping he can scrape through that Dimitrov match considering he wouldn't be playing another night session after that but damn the back issues came at the worst possible time. [...] Looks like this USO is pretty similar to 2017...Roger having back issues & losing in QF...Rafa winning without having to play rest of the big3 and having a relatively easy draw.
Certainly looks like it - although at least he'll have to play *one* player in the top 20 this time. Poor Roger doesn't seem to be able to get a break - fancy tweaking his upper back/neck like that just before the match. With the extra day's rest afterwards, he'd likely have been all right if he'd been able to get past Grigor. I really didn't expect to see that score when I woke up the next morning :(

21 - 40 of 42 Posts