Srebrenica Genocide - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-10-2007, 01:13 AM   #1
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Srebrenica Genocide

The Srebrenica Massacre, also known as Srebrenica Genocide, was the July 1995 killing of an estimated 8,000 Bosniak males, in the region of Srebrenica in Bosnia and Herzegovina by units of the Army of Republika Srpska (VRS) under the command of General Ratko Mladić during the Bosnian War. In addition to the Army of Republika Srpska, a paramilitary unit from Serbia known as the "Scorpions" participated in the massacre.

The Srebrenica massacre is the largest mass murder in Europe since World War II. In the unanimous ruling "Prosecutor v. Krstic", the Appeals Chamber of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY), located in The Hague, ruled that the Srebrenica massacre was an act of genocide, the Presiding Judge Theodor Meron stating:

By seeking to eliminate a part of the Bosnian Muslims [Bosniaks], the Bosnian Serb forces committed genocide. They targeted for extinction the forty thousand Bosnian Muslims living in Srebrenica, a group which was emblematic of the Bosnian Muslims in general. They stripped all the male Muslim prisoners, military and civilian, elderly and young, of their personal belongings and identification, and deliberately and methodically killed them solely on the basis of their identity.

The International Court of Justice has subsequently confirmed the ICTY's finding that the Srebrenica massacre was an act of genocide. The United Nations had previously declared Srebrenica a UN protected "safe area", but they did not prevent the massacre, even though 400 armed Dutch peacekeepers were present at the time. The massacre included several instances where preteen children, elderly and women were also killed.The list of people missing or killed in Srebrenica compiled by the Federal Commission of Missing Persons so far includes 8,373 names.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdMOG3gJvYs

According to the report by Agence France Presse (AFP), a dozen Greek volunteers took part in the massacre of Srebrenica. These persons belonged to the Greek Volunteer Guard (ΕΕΦ), an integral part of the Drina Corps and were either members of the Golden Dawn, a Greek neo-Nazi group, or mercenaries. According to a book by Takis Michas, a Greek flag was raised in Srebrenica following the fall of the city while Radovan Karadžić had honored the volunteers. The pretense of involvement of Greek citizens in the massacre was to support their "Orthodox brothers" in battle.

On September 30, 2003, former US President Bill Clinton officially opened Srebrenica Genocide Memorial. Total cost of the project was around $6 million, of which the United States government provided $1 million. We remember this terrible crime because we dare not forget, because we must pay tribute to the innocent lives, many of them children who were snuffed out in what must be called genocidal madness, Clinton said

U.S. Congress resolution

On June 27, 2005, the United States House of Representatives passed a resolution (H. Res. 199 sponsored by Congressman Christopher Smith and Congressman Benjamin Cardin) commemorating the 10th anniversary of the Srebrenica genocide. The resolution was passed with overwhelming majority of 370—YES votes, 1—NO vote, and 62— ABSENT .[52] The resolution states that:

...the policies of aggression and ethnic cleansing as implemented by Serb forces in Bosnia and Herzegovina from 1992 and 1995 with the direct support of Serbian regime of Slobodan Milošević and its followers ultimately led to the displacement of more than 2,000,000 people, an estimated 200,000 killed, tens of thousands ***** or otherwise tortured and abused, and the innocent civilians of Sarajevo and other urban centers repeatedly subjected to shelling and sniper attacks; meet the terms defining the crime of genocide in Article 2 of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, created in Paris on December 9, 1948, and entered into force on January 12, 1951

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srebrenica_massacre

Old 04-10-2007, 01:37 AM   #2
country flag MissPovaFan

MissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Srebrenica Genocide

One of the worst things about the attoricity was the conduct of Mladic who targetted civilians and armed forces alike

Was it the Dutch military peacekeepers that were useless and allowed the Serb forces into the refugee camps? Almost to the extent that they assisted them if I remember correctly!

Anyway Serbia will never be able to progress and join the European Union until Mladic and co are brought to justice.
MissPovaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:45 AM   #3
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulHopkins View Post
One of the worst things about the attoricity was the conduct of Mladic who targetted civilians and armed forces alike

Was it the Dutch military peacekeepers that were useless and allowed the Serb forces into the refugee camps? Almost to the extent that they assisted them if I remember correctly!

Anyway Serbia will never be able to progress and join the European Union until Mladic and co are brought to justice.
The Dutch pretty much looked the other way.

Serbia is going no where fast.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:51 AM   #4
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Anything happen recently to prompt you to bring up this thread?
Otherwise there is nothing new to discuss.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:52 AM   #5
country flag MissPovaFan

MissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinals View Post
The Dutch pretty much looked the other way.

Serbia is going no where fast.
I was very shocked at the Dutch forces' reaction - they knew and saw what was going on and did sod all Eight odd thousand died in the end and I'm sure quite a number of those could have been prevented.

Serbia will suffer in the long run all the time the fugitives are not brought to justice - there will be envious eyes at Bosnia on July 1st anyway when the SAA goes through
Old 04-10-2007, 01:55 AM   #6
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
yes, things are getting heated again over there. its never going to be the same. Serbs cant stand Bosnians, Croats cant stand Serbians, Bosnians cant stand the serbians. just goes back and forth. seems like Croats and Bosnians are getting along again.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:57 AM   #7
country flag MissPovaFan

Quote:
The news that the war crimes tribunal allowed Serbia not to disclose key documents detailing the genocide that took place. It probably would have changed the verdict.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:02 AM   #8
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

Quote:
the world should never forgot that it turned its back on those people
Old 04-10-2007, 02:19 AM   #9
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulHopkins View Post
The news that the war crimes tribunal allowed Serbia not to disclose key documents detailing the genocide that took place. It probably would have changed the verdict.
I missed this.

Yes, I saw the Croatians bring their racism to the Masters Tournament in Toronto last summer.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:20 AM   #10
country flag MissPovaFan

Quote:
Yes, I saw the Croatians bring their racism to the Masters Tournament in Toronto last summer.
What was that all about?
Old 04-10-2007, 02:21 AM   #11
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinals View Post
the world should never forgot that it turned its back on those people
I never intended to suggest it should be forgotten, I just was curious as to whether there were new developments.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:22 AM   #12
country flag MissPovaFan

Quote:
I never intended to suggest it should be forgotten, I just was curious as to whether there were new developments.
It is a disrespect to the people of Srebrenica that the Hague allowed Serbia to keep hold of their documents, the reason being cited as national security!
Old 04-10-2007, 02:52 AM   #13
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand this war then and now, when I read about it But I remember well the heads of the soldiers which were cuted off and fixed to a bumper of a car in some forest (I saw it on TV) This was horrible
I was a little bit "closely" to this war in the 90's because in my house had been living for a two or three weeks, a Croat who supported financially Croatian's army. He was lived in Germany and my mother had worked in his house. Later my parents invited him to our house and he was talking a lot about the Bosnian War but mainly about Croatia. I feel sorrow for all the innocent victims of this war. Fucking, incomprehensible war is the worst thing in the world
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:59 AM   #14
country flag MissPovaFan

As wars go this was certainly the saddest for me since the Second World War. Such a waste
Old 04-10-2007, 03:01 AM   #15
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo de Mar View Post
I don't understand this war then and now, when I read about it But I remember well the heads of the soldiers which were cuted off and fixed to a bumper of a car in some forest (I saw it on TV) This was horrible
I was a little bit "closely" to this war in the 90's because in my house had been living for a two or three weeks, a Croat who supported financially Croatian's army. He was lived in Germany and my mother had worked in his house. Later my parents invited him to our house and he was talking a lot about the Bosnian War but mainly about Croatia. I feel sorrow for all the innocent victims of this war. Fucking, incomprehensible war is the worst thing in the world
it is a really really long story and it can get confusing because a lot of people confuse the Bosnian Serb, Bosnian Croat Bosnian Muslim(Bosnak), but the short of it is, in the early 1990's Yugoslavia started to break up ..Slovenia and Croatia left and Bosnia(Muslim) left, and the Serbs were not happy about that, so they attacked Bosnia and attacked Croatia but not a much
the reason Serbs were able to attack, is when it all use to be Yugoslavia(which was 4th strongest Army in the world after WWII) all the main military weapons were on serbian territory, so they used those to attack Bosnia which didnt have many weapons, so Iran, Turkey and other Muslim countries started to help out, thats when USA and UN stepped in and stopped the war. Bosnians(muslims) started to gain back ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnian_War if you have time read all that.