The "Thanks for living down to our expectations Andy. Love ya!" clay thread (RG) - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #46
country flag GollyLou

GollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "No idea what to call it b/c the Houston draw sucks" clay thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis lover View Post
In Jo-land, Andy is going to play MC next year and I am going to do my best to go and watch him!
It's plausible considering he won't actually have a tournament he feels the need to go (and has ties to) to the week before. Though, it is Andy so playing MC... is doubtful.

at one point in your life you have the thing you want or the reasons why you don't

my tennis photos: recently uploaded: cincinnati [august 10]
GollyLou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2007, 08:57 PM   #47
country flag otowngurl86apa

otowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond repute

Well I hate to have to post this but...
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Quote:
HOUSTON (AP) -- Top-seeded Andy Roddick withdrew from the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships on Monday because of a hamstring injury that he aggravated in Davis Cup play last week.

Roddick, ranked No. 3, injured his left hamstring while lunging for a shot in a quarterfinal match at the Sony Ericsson Open in Florida late last month and was forced to retire.

He said he "kind of tweaked it" again Friday in his Davis Cup win over Fernando Verdasco of Spain in Winston-Salem, N.C.

"Luckily, the adrenaline there was able to kind of get me through," Roddick said. The injury "is not one that heals in two days."

A doubles win by Americans Bob and Mike Bryan on Saturday gave the U.S. team a 3-0 lead and kept Roddick from having to play Sunday in a second singles match. The U.S. beat Spain 4-1.

Roddick has enjoyed considerable success at the Houston tournament, which is being played for the last time here this week. He played in five of the past six finals and won three.

Updated on Monday, Apr 9, 2007 4:26 pm EDT

to: Fish, Roddick, Bryans, Isner, Delic, Querrey, Haas, Safin, Ancic, Johannson
otowngurl86apa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #48
country flag GollyLou

GollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Andy actually appears to be using his brain. I hate that it's Houston he had to pull out of because he loves that tournament but I think he's doing the right thing.

at one point in your life you have the thing you want or the reasons why you don't

my tennis photos: recently uploaded: cincinnati [august 10]
GollyLou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #49

otowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond reputeotowngurl86apa has a reputation beyond repute

I think so too.
Another article:
Quote:
April 9, 2007, 3:34PM
Injury forces Roddick out of Westside's Clay Courts event

By DALE ROBERTSON
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

TOOLS
Email
Get section feed
Print
Subscribe NOW
Andy Roddick, the top seed and a three-time former champion, pulled out of the final U.S. Men's Clay Court Championsh ips at Westside Tennis and Fitness Club Monday because of a pulled left hamstring suffered in a match against Andy Murray 12 days ago in Florida.

Roddick played and won a Davis Cup match against Spain's Fernando Verdasco Friday in Winston-Salem, N.C., but admitted he "tweaked" the muscle early and got through "only on my adrenalin." Doctors have advised him to take a week to 10 days completely off from tennis.

"The unfortunat e thing about a hamstring injury is that it's one of the most susceptibl e to re-injury over and over," Roddick said. "At this point, instead of changing surfaces – you know how natural my movement is on clay in the first place – it would probably be best to make sure I get healthy."

He said his decision, although prudent medically, was especially disappoint ing because it's the last time the tournament will be played at Westside and he has developed a close friendship with the club's owners, Jim and Linda McIngvale.

"On a personal note, I'm not happy that I don't get to participat e in the last year," he said. "I've sort of grown up here. I've got a lot of good memories at this tournament and this club. It's been great. I'm just thankful I've had an opportunit y to play here a lot and thankful to the McIngvales for putting up with us for as long as they have."

Roddick flew into Houston from North Carolina Sunday night and will stay maybe through Tuesday, "doing whatever Linda (the tournament director) wants me to do." He'll then return to his home in Austin.

It's unclear when he'll play again – the Masters Series tournament in Rome the week of May 7 was his next scheduled event after Houston - but he said he's not yet prepared to concede the entire clay-court season, which culminates with Roland Garros at the end of May.

"I hope not," he said.

With the third-ranked Roddick out, second-seeded James Blake becomes the top player in the field at No. 9. Tommy Haas, who beat Roddick for the 2004 title, is No. 10.

Alexander Peya of Austria, Monday's "lucky loser" – the highest-ranked player not to advance from qualifying – will replace Roddick in the draw against Spaniard Albert Montañes Tuesday.

The 24-year-old Roddick won the Clay Courts the first two years it was held here, in 2001 and 2002, then won again in 2004. Last spring was the only time he didn't reach the final, losing to Haas in the quarterfin als.

He also reached the semifinals of both Masters Cup tournament s at Westside, in 2003 and 2004

Old 04-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #50
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

That sucks.
Tytta!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #51
country flag jeahhh!
Madness is genius

Location: Back with the sisterhood, joining forces for the AO
jeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond repute

That does suck poor Andy.
jeahhh! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:06 PM   #52
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

That's too bad Good for him playing Davis Cup Wonder if he will hang around Houston to do any PR or not
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:08 PM   #53
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

At least he won't lose.
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:10 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
That's too bad Good for him playing Davis Cup Wonder if he will hang around Houston to do any PR or not
It makes me wonder if he was ever healed in the first place, I know these things can take a long time to heal. I'm just glad he got through the DC match! Sounds like it. The end of the second article I posted said he was going to stick around until tomorrow night.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:11 PM   #55
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirl View Post
At least he won't lose.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #56
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowngurl86apa View Post
It makes me wonder if he was ever healed in the first place, I know these things can take a long time to heal. I'm just glad he got through the DC match! Sounds like it. The end of the second article I posted said he was going to stick around until tomorrow night.
Hopefully Linda Mac will lead him around by the nose
Old 04-09-2007, 10:30 PM   #57
country flag tennis lover

tennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyLou View Post
It's plausible considering he won't actually have a tournament he feels the need to go (and has ties to) to the week before. Though, it is Andy so playing MC... is doubtful.
Oh lord, you've given me hope now!

and yeah, it sucks about the injury but I'm glad he's doing the right thing rather than playing because he feels he has to.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
tennis lover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:36 PM   #58
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"The unfortunat e thing about a hamstring injury is that it's one of the most susceptibl e to re-injury over and over," Roddick said. "At this point, instead of changing surfaces – you know how natural my movement is on clay in the first place – it would probably be best to make sure I get healthy."

Yes, we know.

Quote:
Oh lord, you've given me hope now!
Yup, me too. He's withdrawn from Houston and he's still on the entry list for MC.

Come on Andy, you know you want to.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #59
country flag tennis lover

tennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
Yup, me too. He's withdrawn from Houston and he's still on the entry list for MC.

Come on Andy, you know you want to.
well, it is more of a possibility for this year now I suppose, although I can just imagine Andy taking the extra week off and he might need the extra time anyway. But I want him to play there next year!

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
tennis lover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:08 PM   #60
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
well, it is more of a possibility for this year now I suppose, although I can just imagine Andy taking the extra week off and he might need the extra time anyway. But I want him to play there next year!
He desperately needs the clay matches if he wants to prepare himself properly but I just don't see him leaving home to play one or two matches in MC. Maybe the fact that he would get a bye to the 2nd round might encouage him.

As you say, he'll probably end up taking the next week or two off and then start practising. It would be slightly better if he could at least play a tournament the week before Rome, but that's not going to happen.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote