Temporary Blip or Worrying Signs? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #61
country flag lunahielo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

lunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Blip or Worrying Signs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I sometimes think Roger's greatest motivation is ... revenge!
Well, whatever it takes!! lol
luna

Seat #19 on the Federer Express
lunahielo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #62
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSwan View Post
He could face Nalbandian again already this week! They're scheduled to bump into each other in the semis at Basel!
Yes!!!Go Roger!!

Show David your wonderful tennis~!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:48 PM   #63
country flag FSRteam

FSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSwan View Post
He could face Nalbandian again already this week! They're scheduled to bump into each other in the semis at Basel!
stan will take care of fatdave as he did for their last 3 matchs!!!
FSRteam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:45 AM   #64
country flag wombat

wombat has a reputation beyond reputewombat has a reputation beyond reputewombat has a reputation beyond reputewombat has a reputation beyond reputewombat has a reputation beyond reputewombat has a reputation beyond reputewombat has a reputation beyond reputewombat has a reputation beyond reputewombat has a reputation beyond reputewombat has a reputation beyond reputewombat has a reputation beyond repute

What to you expect from Roger??? To win all the time. Guys... he is just human.
wombat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:44 PM   #65
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

he is the most like "Tennis God " human~
Old 11-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #66
country flag wackykid

wackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond repute

can't helped but resurrect this thread after the latest lost to gonzalez... whom federer has never lost to for 10 matches...

but really... i think the signs are more worrying than "temporary blip" ...

but everyone... even the greatest will have his blips... tiger woods has had his blips couple of years back when he lost no.1 to vijay singh after a record 264 consecutive weeks at no.1... there is real chance we could be seeing that happen to federer next year....!

well of coz despite his slump in form this year... wat he has achieved is nothing short of legendary... this is a fact that has already been engraved in history. as much as many ppl considers federer as GOAT... the statisticians would scorn off a number of things he never achieved to be considered GOAT:
1) win the grand slam (at least career grand slam)
2) win the most grand slam titles
3) total no of weeks at no. 1

in order to silence these statisticians... hopefully federer can break all the above records. however... considering his late blooming... and his recent rather consistent slump of form... and tennis is not like golf... if he were to lose his no.1 ranking, or start losing slams... he might not achieve the above... in particular (1) and (3) ... considering alot of youngsters are on the rise and federer as start to age... his reflexes, speed will slow down.

someone might still point out that despite all the losses this year... federer still won 3 out of 4 slams (he almost lost wimbledon). that may be true... but i think federer has the edge over other opponents in terms of slams experience. this year... i feel that federer is no longer become intimidating. every tournament and match... you worry for federer whether he will screw it up. it is unlike some 2-3 years ago... he has this invincible aura... the opponents FEARS him. but this year he just showed others that he CAN be beaten and what it takes to beat federer. i also believe federer has raised the standard of the overall game in tennis... so the opponents are tougher now.

so instead simply dismissing his recent form as "temporary blips" and believe federer will make a comeback... i think it is better to start getting worried and be prepared for the worst. i will be very happy if he is able to win just 2 more slams in his remaining career.

my two cents...

regards,
wacky
wackykid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:43 AM   #67
country flag Stroba

Stroba has a reputation beyond reputeStroba has a reputation beyond reputeStroba has a reputation beyond reputeStroba has a reputation beyond reputeStroba has a reputation beyond reputeStroba has a reputation beyond reputeStroba has a reputation beyond reputeStroba has a reputation beyond reputeStroba has a reputation beyond reputeStroba has a reputation beyond reputeStroba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackykid View Post
can't helped but resurrect this thread after the latest lost to gonzalez... whom federer has never lost to for 10 matches...
but really... i think the signs are more worrying than "temporary blip" ...

but everyone... even the greatest will have his blips... tiger woods has had his blips couple of years back when he lost no.1 to vijay singh after a record 264 consecutive weeks at no.1... there is real chance we could be seeing that happen to federer next year....!

well of coz despite his slump in form this year... wat he has achieved is nothing short of legendary... this is a fact that has already been engraved in history. as much as many ppl considers federer as GOAT... the statisticians would scorn off a number of things he never achieved to be considered GOAT:
1) win the grand slam (at least career grand slam)
2) win the most grand slam titles
3) total no of weeks at no. 1

in order to silence these statisticians... hopefully federer can break all the above records. however... considering his late blooming... and his recent rather consistent slump of form... and tennis is not like golf... if he were to lose his no.1 ranking, or start losing slams... he might not achieve the above... in particular (1) and (3) ... considering alot of youngsters are on the rise and federer as start to age... his reflexes, speed will slow down.

someone might still point out that despite all the losses this year... federer still won 3 out of 4 slams (he almost lost wimbledon). that may be true... but i think federer has the edge over other opponents in terms of slams experience. this year... i feel that federer is no longer become intimidating. every tournament and match... you worry for federer whether he will screw it up. it is unlike some 2-3 years ago... he has this invincible aura... the opponents FEARS him. but this year he just showed others that he CAN be beaten and what it takes to beat federer. i also believe federer has raised the standard of the overall game in tennis... so the opponents are tougher now.

so instead simply dismissing his recent form as "temporary blips" and believe federer will make a comeback... i think it is better to start getting worried and be prepared for the worst. i will be very happy if he is able to win just 2 more slams in his remaining career.my two cents...

regards,
wacky
Well during his last 3 matches at the masters cup you got the feeling Roger might be getting better than ever.

I don´t post much but I have pointed out a few times I feel there is no real sign of Roger declining. Remember during the 5 most important tournaments this year Roger racked up 31 out of 33 possible wins, winning 4/5 tournaments.
During the next 2-3 years I still feel Rogers biggest threat will be his own motivation, or should we say lack of it during lesser tournaments.
But being ONLY 26 and playing as efficiently as Roger, he might keep his level for even another 7-10 years if he only keep working as hard (not likely but possible). So it´s really up the the others to reach Rogers level, which personnally I don´t see happening. The likes of Gasquet, Djokovic and Murray might come close but to me, none of them seems potentially as complete as Roger.

So IMO I feel it´s really up to Roger. Will he be safisfied and "calm down" once (if) he has broken Sampras record or/and won RG? Or will he even attempt to surpass Grafs GS record? At this point even that record doesn´t seem completely unreachable for Roger.

To conclude with I predict Roger will feel satisfied with his achievements in two or three years time and his level of play will slowly come down in slams as well. I think he will end up with something like 16-19 slams.

Last edited by Stroba : 11-21-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Stroba is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:52 AM   #68
country flag FedFan_2007

FedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Federer's biggest challenger is Shadow Federer(the one from 2004-2006). He's always lurking and mocking the more human Federer. I think key milestones:

15 slams(w/o French)
or
winning the French for his 13th slam

whichever comes first will be a big turning point for how Fed approaches the rest of his career. Also I think he should skip Indian Wells to have a bigger rest after Dubai. Then play Miami, Estoril, skip Monte Carlo, play Rome, skip Hamburg.

Last edited by FedFan_2007 : 11-21-2007 at 07:58 AM.
FedFan_2007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #69
country flag SUKTUEN

yes, Shadow Federer(the one from 2004-2006) is the most great fighter of Roger!
Old 11-23-2007, 07:04 AM   #70
country flag wackykid

wackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroba View Post
Well during his last 3 matches at the masters cup you got the feeling Roger might be getting better than ever.

I don´t post much but I have pointed out a few times I feel there is no real sign of Roger declining. Remember during the 5 most important tournaments this year Roger racked up 31 out of 33 possible wins, winning 4/5 tournaments.
During the next 2-3 years I still feel Rogers biggest threat will be his own motivation, or should we say lack of it during lesser tournaments.
But being ONLY 26 and playing as efficiently as Roger, he might keep his level for even another 7-10 years if he only keep working as hard (not likely but possible). So it´s really up the the others to reach Rogers level, which personnally I don´t see happening. The likes of Gasquet, Djokovic and Murray might come close but to me, none of them seems potentially as complete as Roger.

So IMO I feel it´s really up to Roger. Will he be safisfied and "calm down" once (if) he has broken Sampras record or/and won RG? Or will he even attempt to surpass Grafs GS record? At this point even that record doesn´t seem completely unreachable for Roger.

To conclude with I predict Roger will feel satisfied with his achievements in two or three years time and his level of play will slowly come down in slams as well. I think he will end up with something like 16-19 slams.
i must agree that his last 3 matches have impressed me and convinced me that he might be back to his best...

i don't want to go by statistics... it's the WAY he play that counts... whether it's a win or loss. someone can play badly and win... or play very good and lose... i rather look at the WAY fed plays. in the earlier part of the year when he is winning grand slams... although he defended all 3 of his grand slams... i feel that he consistently didn't live up to his game for most of the matches even though he delivers results. he simply plays "just enough to win".

but the last 3 matches in TMC is vintage federer... THAT's the way he should be playing. he should not just win... he should obliterate the opponents. because if he plays like that... it's HARD to lose to ANYBODY even at their best. (bring on nalby's best!!) more importantly... to win games fast reduces fatigue and chances of injury. fed in the past has usually win games fast and efficiently (like the last 3 TMC games).

and yeah i think motivation plays a BIG part for federer to keep up with his level of play...

regards,
wacky
Old 11-23-2007, 07:06 AM   #71
country flag wackykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKTUEN View Post
yes, Shadow Federer(the one from 2004-2006) is the most great fighter of Roger!
yeah!! hope to see shadow federer back in 2008!!

regards,
wacky
Old 11-23-2007, 08:44 AM   #72
country flag didadida

didadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackykid View Post
i must agree that his last 3 matches have impressed me and convinced me that he might be back to his best...

i don't want to go by statistics... it's the WAY he play that counts... whether it's a win or loss. someone can play badly and win... or play very good and lose... i rather look at the WAY fed plays. in the earlier part of the year when he is winning grand slams... although he defended all 3 of his grand slams... i feel that he consistently didn't live up to his game for most of the matches even though he delivers results. he simply plays "just enough to win".

but the last 3 matches in TMC is vintage federer... THAT's the way he should be playing. he should not just win... he should obliterate the opponents. because if he plays like that... it's HARD to lose to ANYBODY even at their best. (bring on nalby's best!!) more importantly... to win games fast reduces fatigue and chances of injury. fed in the past has usually win games fast and efficiently (like the last 3 TMC games).

and yeah i think motivation plays a BIG part for federer to keep up with his level of play...

regards,
wacky

totally agree with you
hope to see roger in his fight spirit in 2008

the recipe is simple yet but extremely rare:buckets of athletic ability coupled with gallons of mental tenacity are the core ingredients that produce a Tiger Woods,a Michael Jordan...a Roger Federer

roger is the best
didadida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:38 PM   #73
country flag SUKTUEN

Good Luck Roger in 2008 too!!
Old 11-24-2007, 06:49 AM   #74
country flag Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond repute

It is worrying indeed, as Roger just got destroyed by a 36 year old man five years into retirement. Perhaps this has all been a fluke after all. In my book, Roger has zero slams.

I am a fan of Federer, Gasquet, Baghdatis, the long-deceased Safin, Youzhny, Nalbandian, Rochus, Tsonga, the sadly-departed Santoro, and good, hearty, competitive tennis matches. The quality of my life does not rest solely on who wins these matches. In fact, I would even go as far as to say that I can live quite happily after a player I like chokes, mugs, bashes, or otherwise succumbs to a loss.
Flibbertigibbet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:57 AM   #75
country flag Marek.

Marek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they might as well put an asterisk next to all of his achievements.
Marek. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote