Temporary Blip or Worrying Signs? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #31
country flag TenHound

TenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Blip or Worrying Signs?

There's actually a good reason for Miami to be a bit slow for a hc. It's basically a tournament that Am. puts on for Latin America, so they want to feature & enable clay courters. But this is ridiculous.
TenHound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2007, 08:28 PM   #32
country flag soraya

soraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe View Post
People are saying that the courts slowing down is intentional but Miami has always been slow so I don't think anything has changed with respect to Miami. I guess people want more matches like the snooze fest I witnessed between Robredo/Canas. If the US Open series tournaments and the US Open are made to play like Miami, I will be very disappointed.
I was not able to watch the Robredo/Canas match, but this is what Bodo thinks about it:
Quote:
They started out in fourth gear and stayed in fourth gear. If you ever wanted to see two very dedicated, talented players go out and whack the kitten around just to see who can hit it harder, for longer, this was your match. It was like two little kids spinning around, trying to see who would get dizzy enough to fall over first.
In a way, it was the perfect match for the hordes of Spanish speaking fans who have made this event the de facto Grand Slam of South America: a pair of Spanish speakers, acting out a Quien es mas macho? skit to which they could all relate. Which reminds me: these fans are starting to but me. What is there, some secret Andalusian law against being Cuban or Argentinian or Panamanian and actually rooting for someone whose mother tongue isn't Spanish? You know what, caballeros - It's okay to be from Venezuela and cheer for Roger Federer. Honest! Or Ivan Ljubicic. Or Andy Roddick. Oh, I know it's a harmless expression of some kind of collective pride, but I'm bored by the predictability and sameness of it all.
You get the feeling that if The Mighty Fed were on the cusp of completing a historic Grand Slam, crawling to the service line with his entrails hanging out to serve for the match after being two sets, two breaks, and three match points down down to Feliciano Lopez (as if. . .), this crowd would be chanting, Feli! Feli! Feli!
soraya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:13 PM   #33
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by soraya View Post
I was not able to watch the Robredo/Canas match, but this is what Bodo thinks about it:

They started out in fourth gear and stayed in fourth gear. If you ever wanted to see two very dedicated, talented players go out and whack the kitten around just to see who can hit it harder, for longer, this was your match. It was like two little kids spinning around, trying to see who would get dizzy enough to fall over first.
The problem was that there was no pace so I disagree with that particular statement. It was two players waiting for the other to make an UE and content to get the ball in play. At least Tommy was trying to force the pace when he started losing though that may have something to do with his frustration.

The only good thing I can say about Canas' game yesterday was his serve. He seems to have the ability to add a lot of power and it gave him cheap points (though it is somewhat predictable). I don't remember if he always had this ability or not.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:40 PM   #34
country flag avocadoe

avocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond repute

Federer should have won the match in Miami against Canas. He recognized the problem, he didn't play the important points well. That used to happen early in his career, and has occasionally surfaced for a bit, this time was an instance of that. Too bad. IF he has a great clay court season, even wins the French, these losses will be very small pieces of humble-pie. Canas's game is steady and tough but not like Nadal's, imo, more like an earlier matchup with Nalbandian before he got his number and occasionally Kiefer.
avocadoe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:30 PM   #35
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenHound View Post
�Thanks. all, for the support.

We need to try to eliminate some physical factors to make sense of things.

Since the Brains of the forum have no definitive answers, I'm going to try my luck @AskRoger forum of his website, asking: 1) Was Miami slower this yr. than last. (Also, IW, but I figure that his failure to prepare sufficiently there, could account for the disaster. 2) Has he completely switched to new racquet? Did he fully test it on slow courts & in wind before adopting it? Might he switch back.

I'll wait a day before posting in case anyone here has any other questions they think we should ask.

ALERT NYCtennisfan. Alex, as our Sr. Forum Analyst, would you undertake an assignment for us, please? Would you compare Roger's match this yr. @Miami to his play last yr. to see what you can see re court speed (& of course, anything else you notice) - and maybe double check his interviews to see what he has to say. Could he hit winners last yr, as he said he couldn't this yr.? If you don't have last yrs. on tape/disk you can get them for a few bucks from tennisdvds.net. A friend of mine had good things to say about doing business w/him.
Due to muggier conditions this year with some heavy weather systems in the nearby area, Miami was playing probably a slight bit slower than last year. Roger did say that it is hard to hit an outright winner on these courts before the tournament, but I believe he was talking in general about all the years where it is hard to hit winners.

If you look at the stats, there were very few matches in the entire draw where a player hit more winners than errors which indicates that the courts are slow. Federer was the only player in the draw that did that in all of his matches (min of three matches played). Then again this is the case for most tournaments outside of grass and fast carpet surfaces and occasionally the fast hardcourts of the summer.

Federer's winners numbers were pretty consistent for him. In fact, he hit more winners in his match against Canas than any other player did during the tournament. It was a long match, but it was also against a guy like Canas who gets eveyrthing back.

If the courts were playing like the USO courts, the match would've been a lot easier for Federer because a lot of points he lost would've been over before Federer hit his error. He should have won THIS match though so it's really moot point.

Bottomline, all players have days like this, his game looked fine, he choked on some big points...he'll be alright.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:32 PM   #36
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe View Post
The problem was that there was no pace so I disagree with that particular statement. It was two players waiting for the other to make an UE and content to get the ball in play. At least Tommy was trying to force the pace when he started losing though that may have something to do with his frustration.

The only good thing I can say about Canas' game yesterday was his serve. He seems to have the ability to add a lot of power and it gave him cheap points (though it is somewhat predictable). I don't remember if he always had this ability or not.
You are absolutely right. Robredo/Canas was pretty much unwatchable.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:30 AM   #37
country flag TenHound

TenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond repute

NYCtennisfan, thanks for your always stellar posts. Sorry I posted such drivel. I just saw the match, first part at least. I was responding to UE's & other peoples crap around the web. Won't do that again.

After seeing part of the match, the wonder isn't that Roger lost, but that people are so blown away. I'm disappointed he didn't pull it out, and yes, I expected it going in. But Remember the 2 Laws to Defeat Roger Federer.

1) Slow down the surface to take away as much of his game as possible.
2) He plays his way into Tournaments. If you want to get to him, you have to do it early. Canas, radically under--ranked due to well-know circumstances, was the perfectly positioned guy to do that. Go Willy - win this damn final & get yr. ranking up as far as possible pronto. Thanks.

My concerns going forward are that tournament organizers are getting more ambitious this yr. in the variables they're manipulating in their quest to make ever more money/inc. ratings, blah blah. Now it's on to surfaces, and I worry that they'll add more sand to NYC this yr - make it more competitive, ya de ya...AO has already floated moving away from Rebound Ace to hc's, so they could slow them down even more w/sand next yr., esp. since Hewitt won't be in contention there any more. {Presumably, this will be to mollify clay-courters for cutting back on clay court Masters - fewer clay courts, slower hc's...}

Pls. be sure to vote in GM poll up no on how crappy it is that Roger isn't dominating. Just in case anyone in marketing looks at that. And don't forget to go enjoy yr. life when Roger isn't playing, rather than park in front of TV...the more ratings go in the toilet, the less the variables get manipulated against him. Now that it's spring I know that'll come naturally anyway I mean would you rather sit inside watching Canas, who should have been suspended from the tour for boring competitors & spectators to tears or go play outside?
TenHound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:48 AM   #38
country flag DONADANG

DONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond repute

This thread seems particularly relevant atm.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:23 AM   #39
country flag soraya

soraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, and I as a Federerian have still faith in him.
"Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.”- Muhammad Ali“

————————————
soraya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #40
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

what is that thread for ?
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #41
country flag R.Federer

R.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond repute

He needed a "dirty win" like today against Ferrer to increase his belief. He needs tough wins. Lets see you win Hamburg Federer, come on!
Old 05-18-2007, 05:43 PM   #42
country flag oz_boz

oz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond repute

I say these losses of late are signs of getting past the peak, I felt that when he lost to Canas the second time. The first was an implosion a la MurrayCincy last year, the second one he definitely should have won had he been his old self. I don't buy matchup problems with Canas.

Then came the Volandri debacle in Rome, and Fed's timing problems became acutely obvious. He doesn't get to the ball in time like he did the last three years, he is just a tad too slow, and that brought him huge confidence problems that day and probably later on too.

I think Nadal will challenge Fed for the year end #1 unless he gets injured - he will defend his clay points and win Hamburg, and Fed has a lot to lose in the fall. Roger will probably be able to come back big on occasions and win a couple more slams - Wimbly should still be his this year - but dominate like last year - never again. My 5 c.

I don't like hypocrites, but even worse are the ones who think it's OK to be an asshole as long as you are not hypocritical.
oz_boz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #43
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be so sad about Rogers current situation. He knows best that such a moment in his career had to happen. It was unbelievable what he has achieved in the last years. We shouldn't forget that he came through some matches which he could have easily lost in the last year as well. Off course we don't know how it looks deep inside him now, but we shouldn't write him off. Every great player went to such a period in his career and it is Rogers biggest challenge now to come through this time.
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:10 PM   #44
country flag ExpectedWinner

ExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz_boz View Post
but dominate like last year - never again. My 5 c.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that last year was the peak performance and it can not be repeated by anyone, including the man himself. My 3 roubles.
ExpectedWinner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:56 AM   #45
country flag soonha

soonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond repute

In fact, what he did last year is almost impossible to be repeated. And he is getting old now. We will never be able to see him win everything he plays like last year again. Yes, he has passed the peak.

I think that his current slump is a result of an unfortunate domino phenomenon. I suspect that the losses to Canas were attributed to a matchup problem PLUS a temporary mental letdown after AO (even for him, the AO win must've been a huge achievement like conquering Mr. Everest; a 2-digit GS count, winning without dropping a set, perfect performance in SF and finals, etc. Understandable). Unfortunately those two early round losses costed him too many things. They took away precious opportunities of match practice and his confidence and rhythm. He played just 9 matches after AO during 2 and 1/2 months. Then there came clay, his worst surface. Bad timing for his confidence. I don't think that Roger had anything different to do to overcome lack of match practice and confidence on his least favorite surface esp. under the pressure of winning FO. Things already had been gone bad and got worse. The final outcome: the Volandri loss.

I think that his mid-match lapse in late matches also results from lack of match play. It seems that he forgot how to maintain intensity throughout the match. He lost fluidity. Hence I am glad whenever Roger wins, nomatterhow tough it is. For his confidence and rhythm back, he needs any type of match and win. Forget FO. I will be extremely happy if he reachs the finals and saves his ranking points. A more important thing is whether his game will be back on time at Wimbledon and in summer hard court season. If he can do well during grass and hard court season, he will stay as a no.1. IMO, that's what matters the most. Domination is the last thing to think about.
soonha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote