Temporary Blip or Worrying Signs? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-29-2007, 05:09 PM   #16
country flag OlderfanCA

OlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Blip or Worrying Signs?

I simply think that Canas has a similar playing style to Nadal. Strong, deep groundstrokes with quick foot movement. He constantly rushes Federer which does not give Roger time to set up his shots. Federer is uncomfortable when he is rushed.

Having said this, I believe Federer will find a way to answer Canas play style, just as he was able to figure out Nadal and other challengers before them.

One cannot expect Federer to sail through multiple seasons forever. New (and possibly old) players will start figuring out ways to beat him or at the least challenge him. As a champion, Federer will relish the opportunity to meet these challenges and raise his game.

He is 25 year old now and probably has two to three more years of prime performance left. The closer he gets to 27, the less likely he will dominate.

As fans we must accept that this day will come and the party train will not last forever.
OlderfanCA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #17
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPower View Post
Plus Roger said he was well prepared and was feeling good. Why would he lie about that ? .shrug:
All we have to go on is what he tells us. Of course anyone can watch a match and based on what they see come up with their own conclusions about his fitness and whether or not he might be injured.

I just take issue with the 'he should be spending every waking minute when he's not playing either practicing or conditioning' Ok I know that's an exaggeration but it's a sure fire way for him to burn out. Obviously he's working on finding the right balance so he's not burnt out, so he can peak at the right moments. Maybe playing only AO and Dubai prior to IW/Miami isn't enough. Maybe he needs more match play. Or maybe he puts less importance on IW and Miami because he's won them multiple times and puts all his effort on the clay season.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #18
country flag lunahielo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

lunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond repute

This is the mood I am in right now. I am certainly not wise enought to give any advice~~to anyone, but I think these lyrics are what I would sing to Roger (If I could sing )

FLEETWOOD MAC DON'T STOP THINKING ABOUT TOMORROW LYRICS

Written by christine mcvie.

If you wake up and dont want to smile,
If it takes just a little while,
Open your eyes and look at the day,
Youll see things in a different way.

Dont stop, thinking about tomorrow,[COLOR="Red]
Dont stop, itll soon be here,
Itll be, better than before,
Yesterdays gone, yesterdays gone.

Why not think about times to come,
And not about the things that youve done,
If your life was bad to you,
Just think what tomorrow will do.

Dont stop, thinking about tomorrow,
It'll be, better than before,

All I want is to see you smile,
If it takes just a little while,
I know you dont believe that its true,
I never meant any harm to you.

Dont stop, thinking about tomorrow,
Itll be, better than before,

Dont you look back,
Dont you look back.

After all it helped to get a US president elected...
luna

Seat #19 on the Federer Express
lunahielo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:15 PM   #19
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a momentary blip. The best comparison that I can use is Sampras. Fed only really needs to worry if one of two things happens: his game totally falls apart or someone comes along who is better than him. None has happend yet.

When Sampras was aging, I didn't see any player who was young coming up who I thought was better than him. They beat him on occasion, but there was none that I thought was a better player when on. That was the case until Safin in 2000. At that point, you could say that the young generationm used to playing with the new racquet technology and having to accept the fact that they had to be superior athletes along with being skilled at tennis, had caught up to Sampras. But at that point, it did not matter because Sampras was holding 13 slam titles and would win one more to end his career.

I see the same thing now with Federer. I don't see anyone who I think in full flight is a better player than Federer or even close really. I thought Djokovic would be someone who seriously challenge his spot and he probably will at some point, but Djokovic has toned down his game from a real attacker to being more conservative especially off of the BH side. You have Murray who will give Fed fits because of his game, Berdman, and others, but I don't see anyone who is a better player than Federer.

Federer knows this as well and I think it gives him confidence even if he loses.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #20
country flag FSRteam

FSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond repute

I read you posts guys and for most of you I want to sing: "Don't you worry, everything's gonna be alright!".

Seriously guys, the way fed played the other day he would just have destroyed anyone else except maybe an inform nadal or indeed a never die canas! We all know fed should've (could've) won that match. The reason he lost it was that canas would not let it go and hung like a... pig and the fact that fed made mistakes at the worst times! For the rest he was just above canas in term of play.

As some of you said he won matches he should've (could've) lost last year. I kind of agree with what nyctennisfan says. As long as fed plays as he does right now, there's no reason to be worried and I am not. That's true that he made many UEs but those were due to canas retrieving every single ball à la nadal, that's simply it!

I am sure fed will be fired up as ever comes monte carlo and knowing the guy is champ he will just make things clear to everyone.

To me canas is a bad match-up for fed so is nadal. But who's been #1 since rafa has arrived on the atptour?!? Rembember fed lost 5 straight times to rafa and still had his best year last year! Plus do you really imagine canas beating fed 5 straight times?!? No way!!!

Also remember last year when he lost monte carlo, rome and rg, he then hardly won halle but simply destroyed anyone in wimbledon. I am sure this year is going to be great again! Grand Slam anyone?!?
FSRteam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:36 PM   #21
country flag whatashot

whatashot has a reputation beyond reputewhatashot has a reputation beyond reputewhatashot has a reputation beyond reputewhatashot has a reputation beyond reputewhatashot has a reputation beyond reputewhatashot has a reputation beyond reputewhatashot has a reputation beyond reputewhatashot has a reputation beyond reputewhatashot has a reputation beyond reputewhatashot has a reputation beyond reputewhatashot has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's either a blip or a worrying sign. Think back 2 years to 2005 Miami final against Nadal. Nadal won the first two sets. That would have been the match in an earlier round. Canas is just another Nadal whose game matches up well against Federer particularly on a slow court like Miami or a high bouncing court like IW. It was good to see that Roger was annoyed by the latest loss, I thought he took the last one a bit too well. Hopefully this loss has reminded him how much he hates losing.

He is easily the greatest player I have ever seen - no question - and I've been watching tennis for many years.
whatashot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:43 PM   #22
country flag shacklebolt

shacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond repute

I believe these last two losses are more of a temporary blip. Let's face it, Roger's win/loss ratio over the past three years has been remarkable even for the number one player in the world. I remember the commentary during the Masters Cup Series about this unprecedented ratio when compared to three-year periods of other number one players. I still believe there will be other long winning streaks for Roger and that he will win the French. That said, I also think Roger 's demeanor will not allow him to fully express any concerns he may have about his play. When I think what it must have taken for him to master his emotions before he began to have success, I have no doubt that he is taking special care to handle the mental aspects of these two losses.
shacklebolt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:43 AM   #23
country flag TenHound

TenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond repute

I thght. yesterday, what I thght. yesterday, it's different today & will prob. be again tomorrow. Above all it's frustrating to know nothing, but miss his beautiful play so much. There's Roger & then there's guys tennis - y...a...w...n.... Fun to occas. see this player or that, but I could never go back to really caring or investing more than a few mins. in it - which is another reason I suspect that they'd be happy for Roger to vaporize in favor of players that can be more easily manufactured, as it were.

To me the key bit of information we need to know before advancing any tentative thoughts, is whether they added more sand to IW & Miami this yr. than last. Does anyone know for sure? I understood they did IW & I think also Miami from what Roger &PMac said. During Djoke match PMac observed a bad bounce & said players are commenting on that. Who knows what on this?
TenHound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:37 AM   #24
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

People are saying that the courts slowing down is intentional but Miami has always been slow so I don't think anything has changed with respect to Miami. I guess people want more matches like the snooze fest I witnessed between Robredo/Canas. If the US Open series tournaments and the US Open are made to play like Miami, I will be very disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenHound View Post
I thght. yesterday, what I thght. yesterday, it's different today & will prob. be again tomorrow. Above all it's frustrating to know nothing, but miss his beautiful play so much. There's Roger & then there's guys tennis - y...a...w...n.... Fun to occas. see this player or that, but I could never go back to really caring or investing more than a few mins. in it - which is another reason I suspect that they'd be happy for Roger to vaporize in favor of players that can be more easily manufactured, as it were.

To me the key bit of information we need to know before advancing any tentative thoughts, is whether they added more sand to IW & Miami this yr. than last. Does anyone know for sure? I understood they did IW & I think also Miami from what Roger &PMac said. During Djoke match PMac observed a bad bounce & said players are commenting on that. Who knows what on this?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:55 AM   #25
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

My thoughts exactly.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:12 AM   #26
country flag soonha

soonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond reputesoonha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Above all it's frustrating to know nothing, but miss his beautiful play so much. There's Roger & then there's guys tennis - y...a...w...n....
Same here. I miss his tennis so much that I almost feel deprivation symptoms.
soonha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:15 AM   #27
country flag Marek.

Marek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond repute

I got the feeling that Federer didn't really care about these two events this year. Of course he wanted to beat Canas (in Miami) and in the end should have beaten him, but in the long run, I don't see these two losses affecting him, especially since he played well in the second one.

Some are worried about how he played bad during the big points and I don't think that's something to worry about either. Everyone chokes away matches, even the best. It's better he does it here than during a grand slam.

I hope this post makes sense
Marek. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:04 AM   #28
country flag TenHound

TenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond repute

�Thanks. all, for the support.

We need to try to eliminate some physical factors to make sense of things.

Since the Brains of the forum have no definitive answers, I'm going to try my luck @AskRoger forum of his website, asking: 1) Was Miami slower this yr. than last. (Also, IW, but I figure that his failure to prepare sufficiently there, could account for the disaster. 2) Has he completely switched to new racquet? Did he fully test it on slow courts & in wind before adopting it? Might he switch back.

I'll wait a day before posting in case anyone here has any other questions they think we should ask.

ALERT NYCtennisfan. Alex, as our Sr. Forum Analyst, would you undertake an assignment for us, please? Would you compare Roger's match this yr. @Miami to his play last yr. to see what you can see re court speed (& of course, anything else you notice) - and maybe double check his interviews to see what he has to say. Could he hit winners last yr, as he said he couldn't this yr.? If you don't have last yrs. on tape/disk you can get them for a few bucks from tennisdvds.net. A friend of mine had good things to say about doing business w/him.

Finally, I'm going to post art. in Articles Thread that EVERYONE SHOULD READ WHO WANTS TO MAKE SENSE OF DEVELPMENTS IN PROFESIONAL TENNIS. It's NYT article, pub. during AO, on guy who bought IMG after death of its founder, Mark McCormack(sp). When analyzing things you have to try to think not as tennis lover, who respects the game, but as this guy might. He's seriously Radical. Mark, who built IMG, truly loved the game. This guy, Teddy Forstmann, is a lifelong speculator who truly worships making as much money as he can. How radical is he? Even the NYT was less than sanguine, ending the article w/this quote from him: he offered his credo: “This is not a golf or tennis or media business. We work for the greater glory of IMG.

So, for example, why were Miami courts green & purple? Did y'all figure it out? Simple. IMG produces & possibly owns, or did own, Miami. It also represents Wimby. Americans have nothing to do w/Euro clay court season. So, he was using Wimby colors to prepare people. Now that's a small thing.

But supposing their ratings went up if guys tuned into a tournament not knowing who would win. Suppose RN, who he also represents, made him more money if he could be presented as more than a clay court player. Why wouldn't they add more sand. So Roger loses more. Remember ALL that matters is how rich he gets...So, go read the article, so yr. thinking is up to date. (Note AR is not IMG, he's SFX/Octagon; but everyone in industry says they make more money w/top Am. playing, so he gets protected. Note top youngsters were rotated btw. Roger's section & RN's section @IW &Miami.)
TenHound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #29
country flag shacklebolt

shacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond reputeshacklebolt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
My thoughts exactly.
Totally agree. Roger's grace and elegance as he plays captured my imagination and there is no substitute for it, no matter who is playing.
shacklebolt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #30
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe View Post
People are saying that the courts slowing down is intentional but Miami has always been slow so I don't think anything has changed with respect to Miami. I guess people want more matches like the snooze fest I witnessed between Robredo/Canas. If the US Open series tournaments and the US Open are made to play like Miami, I will be very disappointed.
Does anyone know the reason why IW and Miami are so slow? Is it up to each tournament director to decide? I know in San Jose they made the court faster based on player feedback I believe.

I have no problem with some hard courts being slower than others but watching a clay court type match on hard court is ridiculous. I think they've taken the slowing down of courts too far. Especially now with most players being baseliners. It's not like the US Open or indoor events in the fall are just serve fests.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote