Is Lleyton Hewitt a "phenomenon?" - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-16-2002, 05:00 AM   #16
country flag Dissident

Dissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond repute

His mind control and focus is phenomenal.
He is a great player, but what makes him get to the top is the mind and his anticipation. If any of you have the opportunity to see him play live, just check him on defensive. The opponent is not even hitting the ball yet and he is already running to the place where it is gonna be hit.

As much as I dont like him I have to admit that.

TWENTY!
'97 ROLAND GARROS, '98 Stuttgart, '98 Mallorca, '99 MONTE CARLO, '99 ROMA, '00 Santiago, '00 HAMBURG, '00 ROLAND GARROS, '00 Indianapolis, '00 MASTERS CUP LISBOA, '01 Buenos Aires, '01 Acapulco, '01 MONTE CARLO, '01 ROLAND GARROS, '01 Stuttgart, '01 CINCINNATI, '02 Costa do Sauipe, '03 Auckland, '03 St. Petersburg, '04 Costa do Sauipe.
Dissident is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2002, 05:17 AM   #17
safin_fan

safin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond repute

I admire his work ethic!

A 150% Safin lover

safin_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 06:49 AM   #18
luvbadboys

luvbadboys has a reputation beyond reputeluvbadboys has a reputation beyond reputeluvbadboys has a reputation beyond reputeluvbadboys has a reputation beyond reputeluvbadboys has a reputation beyond reputeluvbadboys has a reputation beyond reputeluvbadboys has a reputation beyond reputeluvbadboys has a reputation beyond reputeluvbadboys has a reputation beyond reputeluvbadboys has a reputation beyond reputeluvbadboys has a reputation beyond repute

Well he just lost to Rusedski . But that does not worry me he had a sucky lead up to last year's USOPEN also but what I'd like to know is: does anyone know if he's happy with the way he played like after he lost to Moya or does he feel that his game is not there? Basically I'm asking where is his confidence level?
luvbadboys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 02:24 PM   #19
lurker

lurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think he is happy with the Moya match because he even stated that he knows he's got to work on taking the big points better...something he didn't do in that match.

I agree with the anticipation thing...that's why Moya troubled him so much. No one can tell where he's gonna go with the forehand and he wasn't missing either, like Gonzalez. And net rushers like Rusedski have to be on top of their game to beat him. Volleys cut off return time. Hewitt gets all over Sampras because he anticipates the serve better and usually passes him at will. Both Moya and Rusedski involve a slow ball game then generate pace only to attack...Moya from the back court and Rusedski from the net. This also garners more errors from Hewitt when he tries to attack.
lurker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 02:40 PM   #20
tennischick

tennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond repute

absoluetly lurker. it's the lack of pace that seems to throw hewitt off -- and greg is really good at slicing and dicing the ball and forcing you to generate your own pace. that and deep topspin (Moya) seem to be the key to beating hewitt. and the more guys that figure this out, the more he will have dificculty avoiding being peeled. however his lead at #1 is so huge that he won't be passed any time soon.

ANDY RODDICK: Motivation? No. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy what I do. You know, I've never been one to, you know, blow off practice or, you know, do anything like that.

You know, I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to practicing the next two days as opposed to playing here. That part is gonna suck...(2010 Aegon Championships)
tennischick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 04:34 PM   #21
Gandalf

Gandalf has a reputation beyond reputeGandalf has a reputation beyond reputeGandalf has a reputation beyond reputeGandalf has a reputation beyond reputeGandalf has a reputation beyond reputeGandalf has a reputation beyond reputeGandalf has a reputation beyond reputeGandalf has a reputation beyond reputeGandalf has a reputation beyond reputeGandalf has a reputation beyond reputeGandalf has a reputation beyond repute

His mind is a phenomenon, his tennis not that much...even though he's a very good player I wouldn't consider him 'great' as Pete or André are. His fighting and court savy are his strenghts, but overall I find him just 'solid'.
Gandalf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 04:47 PM   #22
irma

irma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond reputeirma has a reputation beyond repute

well he is irritating, he dates the sweetest girl in the wta , he keeps people talking about him and he has the results .

So yes in fact he is despite that he can be annoying
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 07:47 PM   #23
Lily

Lily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt isn't impossible to beat, but to answer the question- yes.

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice."--Rogi's motto
Lily is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 08:34 PM   #24
Layla

Layla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Of course he's a phenomenon, for all the reasons luvbadboys stated and more. What else do you call someone who is 2000 points ahead of everyone

I just wish the media would finally warm up to him. It's a shame that they have to constantly bash the number one player.

While Lleyton doesn't have the greatest game in the world, the whole package is definitely phenomenal and it obviously produces results. But unbeatable? I don't know about that.

Quote:
Originally posted by hail2guga
Well, I don't think he will win as many grandslams as pete or even andre. He has beaten many top guys in the regular tournamens. However, I think in his grandslams victories, he has not faced the top contenders like federer, safin, or haas.
Don't you consider Sampras at the US Open a top conteder?
Layla is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 02:30 AM   #25
Jackie

Jackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond repute

At this stage I think Sampras would need a bloody good draw in order to do well in the US. I'm not denying that he is still a good player, but he was a great player. After about 10 years of dominating, he had to burn out sometime
Jackie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 05:58 AM   #26
safin_fan

safin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond reputesafin_fan has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt a phenomenon? Not quite. Hewitt's head with Safin's game, now that's a phenomenon!

A 150% Safin lover

safin_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 06:10 AM   #27
Jackie

Jackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond reputeJackie has a reputation beyond repute

?
Jackie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 08:09 AM   #28
Layla

Layla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by untitled2284
At this stage I think Sampras would need a bloody good draw in order to do well in the US. I'm not denying that he is still a good player, but he was a great player. After about 10 years of dominating, he had to burn out sometime
No, I meant last year. He was a contender last year when Lleyton defeated him in the final. I was just saying that was a great win for Lleyton. I think Pete's chances this year are pretty slim, actually.
Layla is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 02:43 PM   #29
Experimentee

Experimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond repute

Hes not a phenomenon he just happened to play his best tennis at a time when the top players were all dropping out early. I think to be truly great you have to beat the best and Hewitt didnt do that in either of his Grand Slam wins.
Beating Sampras in the final last year was a fairly good win, but at that stage Sampras was starting to decline and he'd played a lot of tennis for an old guy that week.
And its not like Hewitt is unbeatable this year either, he's had recent losses to Mantilla, Moya and Rusedski, so hes not dominating the tour. He's just had less bad losses than any other top 10 player.
Experimentee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote