Tennis savants? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-04-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
country flag gurseal

gurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Tennis savants?

Okay, MTF. I'll stop lurking to learn and feeling guilty and impotent about being able ONLY to ask questions about a sport I like to watch, but rarely ever played.

Are there, or have there ever been, any professional players who have excelled in the sport minus the preparatory benefits of playing juniors, attending academies, playing long term on school and university teams, and the like? Is there the odd player who has excelled merely with the guidance of the country club pro? If it is not ignorant of me to think so, I am refering to players who have reached the top 35 or 40 on the ATP rankings and tend to win a couple or three rounds in majors.
gurseal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
country flag player2k0

player2k0 has a reputation beyond reputeplayer2k0 has a reputation beyond reputeplayer2k0 has a reputation beyond reputeplayer2k0 has a reputation beyond reputeplayer2k0 has a reputation beyond reputeplayer2k0 has a reputation beyond reputeplayer2k0 has a reputation beyond reputeplayer2k0 has a reputation beyond reputeplayer2k0 has a reputation beyond reputeplayer2k0 has a reputation beyond reputeplayer2k0 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis savants?

probably not, tennis savants sooner or later get promoted. i doubt you can grow a top5000 player without catching any attention.
player2k0 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Gaudio?
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
country flag danton

danton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond reputedanton has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't Nadal train with Uncle Tony and not bother the junior circuit?
danton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by danton View Post
Didn't Nadal train with Uncle Tony and not bother the junior circuit?
not entirely. he didnt bother with the junior ITF circuit. although he did play Wimbly juniors in 03 i believe and made the semis. also true that he didnt go away to the major tennis junior camps like his compatriots. he did travel around spain when he was younger playing tourneys, and has known richie gasquet for years. he could be a good example of it, but not entirely with just one pro a a tennis club somewhere.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2007, 12:55 AM   #6
country flag gurseal

gurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond reputegurseal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze-2004 View Post
Gaudio?
Thanks for the replies.

Blaze, how so, Gaudio? I seem to recall reading about his knowing some of his fellow Argentine tennis players when they were younger. On second thought, no. That was Coria.
gurseal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:58 AM   #7
Future ATP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurseal View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Blaze, how so, Gaudio? I seem to recall reading about his knowing some of his fellow Argentine tennis players when they were younger. On second thought, no. That was Coria.
i know gaudio wasnt trained and groomed to be a tennis pro like coria. he played football and rugby as well. i dont know all the details, GWH might be an authority on this.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2007, 02:01 AM   #8
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze-2004 View Post
i know gaudio wasnt trained and groomed to be a tennis pro like coria. he played football and rugby as well. i dont know all the details, GWH might be an authority on this.
Yes, blaze you got the crux of that right. Gaudio didn't set out to become a tennis player and he played rugby and football as well. Zabaleta and Puerta were the big juniors at that time and Gaudio didn't play international junior events and got serious when he realised that Puerta was doing well and it was a good way to help out his family.

Mecir was another one who didn't travel with a coach and he only took the game as something a bit more than fun when he was 15 and made a tour final at 18.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #9
country flag Federerhingis

Federerhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond repute

One observation of note I would not use the term savant in this case. Savants aren't really trained they just possess and uncanny ability to process tons of information or are very gifted at a particular subject.

They tend to be good with spatial activities, maps, geometry, numbers and music usually areas devoted to the left hemishere. Memorization is a subject where savants excel they tend to like repetitive activities and things of this nature. Can one really be a "savant" of sorts in sports? Well some human beings are just gifted athletically from the moment they can walk and coordinate their motor system, but sports have to be learned and require some sort of training at whatever capacity.
when he has done you no harm, Proverbs3:30"

So long Marat Safin, C'mon Lleyton Hewitt,Viel gluck Tommy Haas, Bring it on Marcos Baghdatis, Gut Spielen Nicolas Kiefer, Dale Fernando Gonzalez, Dale David Nalbandian, Davai Nikolay Davydenko and Allez Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Roger continue marvelling us the tennis mortals

Roger Federer & Martina Hingis (TENNIS)
Federerhingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
country flag BgStallion

BgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond reputeBgStallion has a reputation beyond repute

There are :P I mean Bahrami didn't even have a coach ,but he was unique and tennis was diffrent back then
BgStallion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:20 PM   #11
country flag FluffyYellowBall

FluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler View Post
Yes, blaze you got the crux of that right. Gaudio didn't set out to become a tennis player and he played rugby and football as well. Zabaleta and Puerta were the big juniors at that time and Gaudio didn't play international junior events and got serious when he realised that Puerta was doing well and it was a good way to help out his family.

Mecir was another one who didn't travel with a coach and he only took the game as something a bit more than fun when he was 15 and made a tour final at 18.
So he started taking it seriously at 15??? Are u telling me that before 15 he just played tennis for fun No serious tournaments (or any maybe) and nothing but tennis for pure fun?? That would be.....weiiiirrd
Old 03-08-2007, 02:45 AM   #12
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyYellowBall View Post
So he started taking it seriously at 15??? Are u telling me that before 15 he just played tennis for fun No serious tournaments (or any maybe) and nothing but tennis for pure fun?? That would be.....weiiiirrd
Why would that be weird? El Ayanoui didn't take it seriously until a late age and then there were guys who started at 11 like Rios.

Mecir played some internal events in what was Czechoslovakia then, but he didn't travel to junior events and was never part of the system. He was a different character.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-08-2007, 07:30 AM   #13
country flag FluffyYellowBall

FluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler View Post
Why would that be weird? El Ayanoui didn't take it seriously until a late age and then there were guys who started at 11 like Rios.

Mecir played some internal events in what was Czechoslovakia then, but he didn't travel to junior events and was never part of the system. He was a different character.

Well i always thought that professional players had to take it seriously fron a very young age. I started taking it seriously when i was 14 and that basically means anyone playing at my level can be the next Aynaoui or something alike.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:34 AM   #14
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Well i always thought that professional players had to take it seriously fron a very young age. I started taking it seriously when i was 14 and that basically means anyone playing at my level can be the next Aynaoui or something alike.
Actually no it doesn't. It means even fewer people will make it, then what there already is out there, if this path is taken.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-08-2007, 08:03 AM   #15
country flag oz_boz

oz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't know any sport where that is the case, if you have the right combination of talent and physical prerequisites you can start pretty late, how late probably also depends on the sport. My guess would be that a majority of the guys who are the best at 11-13 lose their position later on since so much happens with the body and mentality between 10 and 15.

I don't like hypocrites, but even worse are the ones who think it's OK to be an asshole as long as you are not hypocritical.
oz_boz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote