How long will it take Mr Disney to give up on the RR format? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: When will Mr Disney declare the Round Robin Experiment ended?

At the end of the year (because that was his original plan) 22 50.00%
After the next major fiasco (Buenos Aires and Las Vegas were not bad enough) 3 6.82%
When another scheduled RR tournament changes back (like Queens). 4 9.09%
When one of ATP poster boys, Fed or Nadal, say STOP! 6 13.64%
When a RR event gets no top 50 players because a traditional format event was available elsewhere. 9 20.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
country flag buzzy

buzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default How long will it take Mr Disney to give up on the RR format?

Last week had the Ferrero/Devilder/Lapentti fiasco in Buenos Aires. This week has crazy scenarios like the following that set itself up yesterday in Las Vegas...

"Gustavo Kuerten lost to Benjamin Becker today, and Becker earlier lost to Jan Hernych, so Kuerten is through if he can beat Hernych tomorrow by beating him in straight sets while losing less than six games. Unless one of the sets is 7-5 or 7-6, in which case he can lose seven games. If he beats him in straight sets but loses more than seven games (or more than eight games if one set goes 7-5 or 7-6), then Becker is through. And if Hernych can win one set against Kuerten, he’s through whether he wins or loses the match. If Kuerten beats Hernych in straight sets losing exactly seven games (e.g. 6-3, 6-4), then everyone is tied in terms of sets won/lost and games won/lost, and Becker is through because he’s the higher ranked player."
from http://tennisworld.typepad.com/trave..._merrygor.html

Does anyone at all, player or fan, want to waste time trying to figure that stuff out for every match of a tournament? What was wrong with the old fashioned way of advancing when you win and going home when you lose? The directors at Queens have seen the light and already backed out of the earlier decision to play RR format.

How long will it be till deVilliers finally gives up his absurd Round Robin idea?
buzzy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
country flag t0x

t0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long will it take Mr Disney to give up on the RR format?

It's crap...

Tanks can happen

And worst of all, it's confusing as hell! I fail to see how this is drawing new fans into the game... Too many scenarios and what the hell is the main draw elimination crap?

With Stockholm and Queens dropping out, hopefully more tournies will follow and eventually De Villiers will give up on it!
Federer Express Passenger #163

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~
un pour tous, tous pour un

Others: Safin - Tursunov - Gonzalez - Berdych - Ancic - Johansson - Youzhny - Cilic - Henman - Karlovic - Mahut
t0x is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
country flag vincayou

vincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond repute

It's good to try new things and I was ready to see what RR could give, but I doubt this one has a future. It's confusing, I don't see how it can bring new fans to this sport.
vincayou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

When Fed or Rafa tell him to stop playing around with the tournaments and get on his knees.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #5
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Not soon enough.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
country flag Caren

Caren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it'll be dropped before the end of the year, if the original plan was to see how it goes for a year then i'm sure it will be seen out. I really dislike it and fail to see the logical reasoning behind it but i doubt it'll take a bow out anytime soon.
Caren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:16 PM   #7
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

I voted 'Next Fiasco' - hopefully Mr. Disney isn't as bone-headed to let this atrocity go on any longer.

It apparently looks like the players need to get a Master's degree in maths before figuring out the RR-system. The viewers no less.

What a mess it is...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #8
country flag buzzy

buzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond reputebuzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayBuster View Post
I voted 'Next Fiasco' - hopefully Mr. Disney isn't as bone-headed to let this atrocity go on any longer.
It apparently looks like the players need to get a Master's degree in maths before figuring out the RR-system. The viewers no less.

What a mess it is...
Definitely a mess. I know that he had high hopes that this would work. But I would think he's smart enough to see the results after the few attempts so far have been less than stellar. As a matter of fact, I don't believe a single player who has been in one of these events has come out and said how much he liked it. Players' comments started with the noncommittal "we'll see how it goes" when the format was proposed and have progressed to the outright disgust "este sistema es una puta mierda" from Ferrero and "I don't like RR, its a disaster. The tennis is: if you win, you go on, if you lose, you leave" from Canas after one experience of each. (quotes from the thread Some players reactions about the RR format) So at this rate, it won't take long to alienate a big chunk of the top players.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
dylan24
Banned!

dylan24 has a reputation beyond reputedylan24 has a reputation beyond reputedylan24 has a reputation beyond reputedylan24 has a reputation beyond reputedylan24 has a reputation beyond reputedylan24 has a reputation beyond reputedylan24 has a reputation beyond reputedylan24 has a reputation beyond reputedylan24 has a reputation beyond reputedylan24 has a reputation beyond reputedylan24 has a reputation beyond repute

so if hernych wins first set, then both hernych and kuerten won't give a fuck about the rest of the match.

this disney bastard needs to be beaten to a bloody pulp w/ a wooden tennis racquet.
dylan24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #10
country flag Edith09

Edith09 has a reputation beyond reputeEdith09 has a reputation beyond reputeEdith09 has a reputation beyond reputeEdith09 has a reputation beyond reputeEdith09 has a reputation beyond reputeEdith09 has a reputation beyond reputeEdith09 has a reputation beyond reputeEdith09 has a reputation beyond reputeEdith09 has a reputation beyond reputeEdith09 has a reputation beyond reputeEdith09 has a reputation beyond repute

I really don´t like RR. Call me old fashioned, but if player looses match than he should be out of tournament. End of story.
Edith09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #11
country flag Galathea

Galathea has a reputation beyond reputeGalathea has a reputation beyond reputeGalathea has a reputation beyond reputeGalathea has a reputation beyond reputeGalathea has a reputation beyond reputeGalathea has a reputation beyond reputeGalathea has a reputation beyond reputeGalathea has a reputation beyond reputeGalathea has a reputation beyond reputeGalathea has a reputation beyond reputeGalathea has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I think after a huge fiasco. I don't think, for him what happened in Bs As is a fiasco. Probably will change his mind after a huuuuuge problem...
And I can't wait to see that tournament Come on! Don't tell me Bs As wasn't funny to see.... people searching and calling to know who was the winner of a group according to the RR format? For one moment, I thought Vilas was going to be the champion
Galathea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:35 PM   #12
country flag ChinoRios4Ever

ChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond repute

at the end of the year

TT Rankings: #62 (S) & #92 (D).
Results Singles: W Auckland 09, Washington 09, Acapulco 10, 's-Hertogenbosch 10 & Fürth CH 08, F Bucharest 10, 's-Hertogenbosch 11 & Bucaramanga CH 09.
Results Doubles: W Bogota CH 08 (w/ClaudiuS), F Acapulco 09 (w/lucho_coria), Bucaramanga CH 09 (w/Gallina), ROLAND GARROS 09, Los Angeles 09 (w/juakos17) & Sunrise CH 10 (w/hallso).
ChinoRios4Ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #13
country flag buzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
"Gustavo Kuerten lost to Benjamin Becker today, and Becker earlier lost to Jan Hernych, so Kuerten is through if he can beat Hernych tomorrow by beating him in straight sets while losing less than six games. Unless one of the sets is 7-5 or 7-6, in which case he can lose seven games. If he beats him in straight sets but loses more than seven games (or more than eight games if one set goes 7-5 or 7-6), then Becker is through. And if Hernych can win one set against Kuerten, he’s through whether he wins or loses the match. If Kuerten beats Hernych in straight sets losing exactly seven games (e.g. 6-3, 6-4), then everyone is tied in terms of sets won/lost and games won/lost, and Becker is through because he’s the higher ranked player."
from http://tennisworld.typepad.com/trave..._merrygor.html

Well, Hernych won the first set. So do you think either of them are giving their all for this next set? If you are Hernych, you can take it easy to rest for the next round. If you are Kuerten, you are already out so why bother.
Great system!
Old 03-01-2007, 09:18 PM   #14
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute

he knows it is crap but he wont just dump it in the middle of the season. he will wait to the end of the season then announce that although they considered it had some success they dont think it is right for the game. which is what us fans have known since it was announced
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #15
country flag buzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathea View Post
Honestly, I think after a huge fiasco. I don't think, for him what happened in Bs As is a fiasco. Probably will change his mind after a huuuuuge problem...
And I can't wait to see that tournament Come on! Don't tell me Bs As wasn't funny to see.... people searching and calling to know who was the winner of a group according to the RR format? For one moment, I thought Vilas was going to be the champion
I wonder if the Blake/DelPotro incident will qualify as a fiasco to him. Another example of major problems with his idea.

I really can't imagine him sticking out the year. These incidents are just going to keep happening and players are going to stop entering these RR tournaments. He should just cut his losses and say enough is enough. RR was a mistake. Let's get them all back to normal elimination format. NOW!!!