*** Laureus Award 2007 *** - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Default *** Laureus Award 2007 ***

Today the nominations for this years Laureus Award were announced and Roger is on the list as well.
Lets keep fingers crossed that he will be the first athlete who is going to receive this special Award for the third consecutive year

Quote:
Federer, Schumacher and Woods up for third Laureus Award

MADRID, Feb 27 (Reuters) - Tennis world number one Roger Federer, seven-times Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher and top golfer Tiger Woods are all in the running for a third Laureus World Sportsman of the Year Award in April.
Tennis grand slam champions Amelie Mauresmo and Maria Sharapova, and swimmer Laure Manaudou, who won four gold medals at the 2006 European swimming championships, are among the candidates for the Sportswoman of the Year Award.
The nominees in the seven categories were announced on Tuesday and the winners will be chosen by the members of the 43-strong Laureus World Sports Academy.
They will make public their decisions in the eighth edition of the annual event at a televised ceremony in Barcelona on April 2.
"It has been a great year for sport and the Academy are going to find it extremely difficult to decide who to vote for as winners," Academy chairman Edwin Moses said in a statement.
Another hotly contested category will be the Team of the Year Award where the All Blacks rugby team, Europe's Ryder Cup side, Renault's Formula One team, and Spain's Basketball World Cup winners go head-to-head.
From soccer, Italy's World Cup winners and the host city's European and Spanish Champions Barcelona, complete the nominees in this section.
Dutch wheelchair tennis champion Esther Vergeer, winner of the Laureus Disability Award in 2002, has been nominated for the fourth time after an unbeaten 2006.
Other awards include Breakthrough of the Year, Comeback of the Year, and Action Sportsperson of the Year.
For the latter, Spanish kiteboarder Gisela Pulido is the youngest ever nominee aged 12.
The nominees have been selected by 1068 members of the awards' media selection panel, from 128 countries.

Source: http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breaking...444160,00.html
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2007, 01:51 AM   #2
country flag TenHound

TenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *** Laureus Award 2007 ***

It's ok if he doesn't win & prob. shouldn't this yr. If he wins again this yr, & wins Grand Slam then he has to, or most definitely should, win it that yr. But winning that many times would start to make others restless, not to mention start diminishing the Award. After all, just how much does it mean if only a few are worthy of it. That's my take.
TenHound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:50 AM   #3
country flag blowfish

blowfish has a reputation beyond reputeblowfish has a reputation beyond reputeblowfish has a reputation beyond reputeblowfish has a reputation beyond reputeblowfish has a reputation beyond reputeblowfish has a reputation beyond reputeblowfish has a reputation beyond reputeblowfish has a reputation beyond reputeblowfish has a reputation beyond reputeblowfish has a reputation beyond reputeblowfish has a reputation beyond repute

I would want him to win, but it looks as if the award might be given to either Schumacher, Woods, or Alonso.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Roger said he support Tiger, but........
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Roger Federer
August 8, 1981 in Basel
Tennis
Switzerland

Nominee 2007 - Laureus World Sportsman of the Year

Winner 2006 - Laureus World Sportsman of the Year
Nominee 2006 - Laureus World Sportsman of the Year

Winner 2005 - Laureus World Sportsman of the Year
Nominee 2005 - Laureus World Sportsman of the Year

Nominee 2004 - Laureus World Sportsman of the Year

Brilliant Swiss star Roger Federer continued his near total domination of world tennis by collecting three more Grand Slam titles in the Laureus qualifying year, a feat which has given him the opportunity to win the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year Award for a record third straight time.
His win in the Australian Open final against Fernando Gonzalez in January 2007 was his tenth career Grand Slam title. He is now joint fifth on the all-time list of Grand Slam winners, and is just one behind Bjorn Borg and Rod Laver – at the age of just 25. In Melbourne he became the first man to win a Grand Slam title without dropping a set since Bjorn Borg at the 1980 French Open. Federer played one of his greatest ever matches in the semi-final against Andy Roddick, beating the American 6-4 6-0 6-2 in one hour and 23 minutes. Federer said: "It was one of those days where everything worked. I've played good matches here, but that's a highlight of my career."
Federer won Wimbledon for the fourth straight year in July, beating Spain's Rafael Nadal in the final and losing only one set throughout the championship. He also won the US Open for the third year, beating Roddick in the final. Only Nadal's win in the French Open stopped him becoming the first man since Rod Laver to hold all four Grand Slam titles at the same time.
Away from the Grand Slams, Federer was just as dominating. In November he won his third Masters Cup in Shanghai, giving him 12 titles in the calendar year. He is the only player in the Open Era to win ten or more ATP titles in a season for three consecutive years.

http://www.laureus.com/winners?q=node/418
Old 04-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

GO Roger!!
Old 04-02-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
country flag Stevens Point

Stevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond repute

Just a reminder, the ceremony is tonight in Barcelona.

Has there been any mention that Roger will be there??

good luck RF!!

my latest blog entry: a woman in a male locker room.. hello?? , Updated: January 6th 2009
Stevens Point is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
country flag SUKTUEN

Tonight????????????????????????????

I know that now. = = '''
Old 04-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

I just received an SMS alert (from RF mailing news) and they say Roger would be the laureus again, third in a row, first to do so

Still waiting for official announcements but those SMS news are generally quite reliable
Old 04-02-2007, 05:40 PM   #10
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Roger

Federer wins Laureus award for third year in a row
Posted on : Mon, 02 Apr 2007 17:07:02 GMT

Barcelona- Roger Federer won the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year award for the third year in succession, it was announced in Barcelona Monday. The world's top tennis player beat off competition from fellow nominees two-time Formula One champion Fernando Alonso, recently retired Michael Schumacher, World Cup winner Fabio Cannavaro of Italy, sprinter Asafa Powell and golfer Tiger Woods.
Olympic and world champion pole-vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva of Russia, who has now set 20 world records, won the Sportswoman of the year award, beating tennis stars Amelie Mauresmo and Maria Sharapova as well as swimmer Laure Manaudou.

France's Mauresmo had the consolation of taking the Breakthrough of the Year award while Italy captain Cannavaro also had something to cheer as the World Cup winners were named World Team of the Year.
Former world number one Serena Williams took the Comeback of the Year award. Williams started the year in 81st position in the women's WTA tennis rankings and claimed a surprise victory in this year's Australian Open.
She moved closer to the Top 10 after her thrilling victory over current number one Justin Henin in the Miami Masters at the weekend.
German football legend, Bayern Munich president and 2006 World Cup organizing committee Franz Beckenbauer received a lifetime achievement award.

Copyright © 2007 Respective Author

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/46884.html

Congratulations Roger
Old 04-02-2007, 05:43 PM   #11
country flag SUKTUEN

CONGRAT ROGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Love You!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #12
country flag TenHound

TenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. He won again - for last yr. Unfortunate timing of the award. Great for him to enjoy in off-season as a richly deserved reward. At the moment, however, the last thing he needs to be doing is revelling in images from the rear view mirror.
TenHound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #13
country flag fightclubber

fightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond repute

from the chisene forum
enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 times YES YES YES

ROGER FEDERER

Marco Chiudinelli

NovakDjokovic

CarlosMoya MaratSafin JuanMartinDelPotro RichardGasquet TomasBerdych
fightclubber is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #14
country flag Stevens Point

Stevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Roger!!

Seems he was not present at the ceremony, but he did a video message..

good luck RF!!

my latest blog entry: a woman in a male locker room.. hello?? , Updated: January 6th 2009
Stevens Point is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #15
country flag Mrs. B
MY BOY HAS 17 GRAND SLAMS

Mrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, well done, Roger! another 3-peat achievement.

lol, Silvy, what close ups! Some girls here will be kissing these images!

I think there is a round-up of this awards tonight (starts in 10 minutes actually) on RTL.

FRENCH KISS
Mrs. B is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote