Come & cheer for Fab on the Tour - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:16 AM   #106
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Come & cheer for Fab on the Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayane View Post
Someone has this final ....? I feel soo bad to not see this final ... this victory
It wasn't a good match, Mahut was pretty horrible, Fab just got the job done.
But his joy was so cute to see, it was great.
Quote:
Santoro pulls magic act to win Hall title
BY PETER GOBIS SUN CHRONICLE STAFF
Sunday, July 15, 2007 11:46 PM EDT

NEWPORT - Nicolas Mahut was merely seven years old when Fabrice Santoro began his professional tennis career in 1989. Mahut became Santoro's 430th victim on his nomadic journey to the tournament outposts on every continent.

Santoro continued his exhibition of two-fisted mightiness and his cunning craft of slice and spins with the tennis ball in dissecting Mahut for a 6-3, 6-4 championship victory at the International Tennis Hall of Fame Championships Sunday.

"I saw the musuem, I saw (Pete) Sampras, I played for a championship for the first time in front of my (six-year old) daughter and I have the trophy in my hands," said Santoro, who Sampras nicknamed "The Magician" after suffering one of his three career losses to the 34-year old Frenchman.

"Coming (the nickname in praise) from him was huge, it was the biggest compliment I've had," said Santoro, who won his fifth career title, but his first since 2002 at Dubai. "When you have not won in five years, you think maybe not (you won't win again), that's it," said Santoro, who pocketed $65,850 for winning five matches, four in straight sets.

"Everyone knows Fabrice well, he always plays the right shot at the right time," said Mahut, who double-faulted 10 times. "It seems like he know where I am going to play - when I pass, he puts it over my head."

That's why they call Santoro "The Magician," a veteran player that everyone respects, but nobody wants to play because of his two-fisted forehands and backhands, his skill at playing angles.

"Because of my style, you either like it or hate it - you can't be in between. My style is different from the way that the game is played today. I have nothing big... except my legs. I have to use the geometry of the court."

Mahut had won 10 of his last 12 matches on grass (6-11 on other surfaces) this season, but the 20-25 mph wreaked havoc with his service and his returns. "The conditions were really difficult, that was the main problem. It was not a good match.

"For me, my serve is my best weapon - today that was not the case. I didn't play at my best level."

Santoro won the first set by gaining a service break of Mahut in the seventh game, for a 4-3 lead. More impressively, Santoro lost just six points on his six service games in the first set, just one over his final three service games in the 37-minute adventure.

"It was very difficult for us to play a great match," said Santoro of the atmospheric conditions, ever more severe with the undecipherable bounces of the soft grass surface. "It was a big wind, the ball was moving a lot."

Santoro won three straight games early in the second set for a 3-1 lead, breaking Mahut's service (on a pair of double-faults at deuce) in the third game.

Mahut then reeled off three straight games, breaking Santoro's service in the sixth game to regain the lead at 4-3. Santoro then saved a break point in the eighth game to knot the score at 4-4.

Then in the ninth game, not only did Mahut double-fault to trail 0-30, he double-faulted again at break point.

"You try to play the ball he's not waiting for," said Santoro "He can serve many aces and today, he double-faults a lot. There are many times when you are playing well in a tournament, but sometimes you don't win.

"When you get a little bit older, you win your first match, your second match, then you play in the quarterfinals, it becomes more difficult physically." So that's why Santoro takes some shortcuts and plays the angles.
http://www.thesunchronicle.com/artic...ts/sports1.txt
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 08:22 AM   #107
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Santoro wins 1st ATP title in 5 years

NEWPORT, R.I. (AP) -- Fourth-seeded Fabrice Santoro rode his two-handed style to the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships' title Sunday, beating fifth-seeded Nicolas Mahut, 6-4, 6-4, in the first all-French final in the tournament's 31-year history.

Santoro, 34, won his fifth career ATP title, and his first since 2002 Dubai, to become the oldest player to win a tourney since Andre Agassi won in 2005 in Los Angeles at age 35.

"Every time you play a tournament you want to win," Santoro said. "But when you haven't won a tournament in five years, you think that's it for a career."

Santoro, who entered the week ranked 68th, showed why Saturday's Hall of Fame inductee Pete Sampras nicknamed him the "magician" five years ago after playing his style of two-handed forehand and backhand slices, cuts and lobs.

"It was one of the biggest compliments I've ever had," Santoro said of Sampras' comments. "Coming from him was huge for me."

With the match tied in the seventh game of the first set, Santoro used a pair of well-placed shots to frustrate Mahut en route to breaking his serve. Mahut hit a backhand long off his opponent's backhand slice, giving Santoro a 4-3 lead in the first set.

"He seems like he knows what I'm going to play," said Mahut, 25, who reached his second career final, both coming in the past month. "He's very difficult."

In the second set, Santoro went up a break in the first game, but Mahut broke back in the sixth game, evening it 3-all. Mahut double faulted twice in the ninth game, including the final point to give Santoro a 5-4 lead.

Santoro closed out the match with two-handed, backhand winner along the sideline and raised his arms to the air in triumph.

"It's just one of those weeks you'd like to have more often," he said with a smile.

Santoro collected $65,800 for his victory and Mahut earned $35,500 of the total $416,000 total payout.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...tion=si_latest
Old 07-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #108
country flag Tobi

Tobi has a reputation beyond reputeTobi has a reputation beyond reputeTobi has a reputation beyond reputeTobi has a reputation beyond reputeTobi has a reputation beyond reputeTobi has a reputation beyond reputeTobi has a reputation beyond reputeTobi has a reputation beyond reputeTobi has a reputation beyond reputeTobi has a reputation beyond reputeTobi has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Fabrice

Awesome week
Tobi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:33 PM   #109
country flag TMJordan

TMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond repute

Fab

FUck Fuck

Idiot Idiot

John

you shit Isner

I hate you
TMJordan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:23 AM   #110
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Torrent of Santoro/Mahut final is available:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...postcount=8298

"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:00 AM   #111
country flag Truc

He's taking a break and his next tournament will be the US Open according to l'Équipe.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #112
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Fab deserves a break but shouldn't he play a warm-up event before marching into the USO cold? I'd like to see him do well at USO.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #113
country flag Truc

He got a WC for a Challenger in Istanbul.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=106372
Old 08-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #114
country flag Truc

He retired against Muller in the 2nd round, not because he's injured, but because he was mad at the umpire, apparently... Ays25 explains what happened here:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...&postcount=123

On a more positive note, he makes the cover of Tennis Magazine this month:
Old 08-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #115
country flag Haile Selassie

Haile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond repute

Fab will play the us open
1st: Montañez

.Kuerten.Federer.Gaudio.Coria.Santoro.Gasquet.Araz i.Qureshi.Bopanna.
Calleri.Pella.Collarini.Estrella.Zeballos.Safin.Lo pez.Rochus.Malisse

.Wayne & Byron Black.T Martin.TJohansson.Vilas.Clerc.Jaite.
Haile Selassie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #116
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised he isnt playing doubles with Nenad.
I thought they would play the US Open together.
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:33 PM   #117
country flag Truc

I don't think that's an option anymore for Fab.
Even in Rom and Roland-Garros, they looked like they didn't get along very well anymore.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:47 PM   #118
country flag Haile Selassie

Haile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond repute

Fabrice beat Alberto Montañez and now will play against an american player James boring Blake. It will be a tought match but i belive in the smart and magic game of Fabrice.
Hopefully I will be able to see this match on television or by a livestream coz for sure it will be play it in a big court.

What a shame that Fab. dont play doubles with Nenad, it was(is) a very succesfull team. Anyone knows what happen?

.Kuerten.Federer.Gaudio.Coria.Santoro.Gasquet.Araz i.Qureshi.Bopanna.
Calleri.Pella.Collarini.Estrella.Zeballos.Safin.Lo pez.Rochus.Malisse

.Wayne & Byron Black.T Martin.TJohansson.Vilas.Clerc.Jaite.
Haile Selassie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:59 AM   #119
country flag Seneca

Seneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond repute

Blake-Santoro is the second match of the night session in Arthur Ashe, so it will be televised.

Night session starts at 7 PM East coast time. Shriekapova will first breeze by some nobody in straight sets so The Mother Of All Tennis Matches might start somewhere around 8.30 PM.

8.30 PM NYC time = 2.30 AM CET / 3.30 AM Eastern European time. Be prepared to wake up early
| Jarkko Eminem |
Seneca is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:16 PM   #120
country flag Truc

In l'Équipe today:
Quote:
Santoro : « Je me sens super jeune »
Fabrice Santoro, victime de crampes après son premier tour, pensait avoir
récupéré pour affronter aujourd’hui James Blake. « Après mon match
contre Montanes, j’avais des crampes partout, aux mollets, aux quadriceps,
aux ischios… Mais je savais que j’allais souffrir. Je dois être le seul
des 128 inscrits à ne pas avoir joué de l’été (unmatch et demi au Challenger
d’Istanbul).C’était une décision personnelle pour privilégier la famille
et les vacances scolaires ;mais ces six semaines de repos n’ont pas été des
semaines de chaise longue. Ceci dit, je me sens encore super jeune. On
n’est pas vieux à trente-quatre ans. Physiquement, pour affronter Blake,
j’aurai récupéré. Il est un des cinq ou six joueurs du tableau les plus durs à
battre pour moi : il est très, très mobile. C’est difficile de lui faire mal dans
l’échange. Est-ce que ce sera mon dernier match en Grand Chelem ? Estce
que je vais continuer un an de plus et battre le record des 61 tournois ?
Si je le bats, ça sera en Australie l’an prochain. Soit je le bats bien en
faisant une saison pleine, soit je ne le bats pas. Le tennis est une activité
que j’ai faite avec trop de sérieux pour jouer sans être prêt… Sportivement,
je n’ai aucune raison de ne pas continuer l’année prochaine. Tous
les voyants sont au vert. Le niveau de jeu est là, je suis aux alentours de la
40e place (44e) bien que j’aie joué peu cette année. La santé, ça roule.
L’envie de matcher, de me défoncer sur le court est intacte… » – Ph. B.
He was cramping after his first round match, but he means he will be fine for the Blake match. He knew he was going to suffer because he hasn't played at all this summer (apart one match in the Challenger in Istanbul). It was a choice in order to spend more time with his family. He still feels young though, 34 isn't old.
He says Blake is a bad match-up for him, one of the 5-6 most difficult opponents for him in the draw because he's very, very quick.
And he says again that he doesn't know if it's his last GS and if he will play the next season. But everything is looking fine so far, his game is OK, he's still ranked around #40 although he has played very few tournaments this year. He feels fine and he still has the desire to play, to give everything on the court.