Donald Young - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #166
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Donald Young

Very strange and curious indeed.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 04:55 AM   #167
country flag SHB

SHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond repute

Young is scuffling in a big way this year. First he lost to Isner in the Australian Open wild card playoff. (Technically that was in December, but it's close enough.) Then he was routed by Spadea in the third round of the Carson Challenger. Then he was beaten pretty decisively by Michael Russell in the first round of the Dallas Challenger. And tonight he was routed by 365th ranked Michael Ryderstedt in the second round of qualifying in San Jose. Heck, in the first round he dropped four games to a 16-year-old American junior who probably doesn't even rank among the top 10 players in his birth year. He couldn't be playing much worse, it would seem. I watched his first set against Russell, and after taking a one break lead midway through the set, he donated the next game and subsequently imploded. He played tentative and sloppy tennis. It wasn't the same guy I saw against Blake and on a few other occasions.

With his mental fragility, things could go downhill fast. I really hope that he starts regularly working with a coach other than his parents, preferably one that can help him with his psyche as well. Otherwise his ranking will probably plummet. I have long been optimistic about Young, but I'm starting to reassess.
SHB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:05 AM   #168
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Add all that to some really bad press he's gotten and the fact that an unknown 24 year old german was given a san jose wildcard instead of him, and it seems even some of the US tourneys are losing faith in him. plus he didn't even try to qualify for the AO, which doesn't exactly make his effort level look too good.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 02-08-2009, 05:13 AM   #169
country flag SHB

SHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
Add all that to some really bad press he's gotten and the fact that an unknown 24 year old german was given a san jose wildcard instead of him, and it seems even some of the US tourneys are losing faith in him.
Apparently I've missed the bad press. Is it related to him neglecting to stand during the national anthem following his loss to Russell? That incident just shows his emotional immaturity, which is his biggest liability. I'm sure he didn't mean to be disrepsectful, but it was improper nonetheless.

Giving a main draw wild card to a low ranked German is extremely odd. I'm sure Young isn't the only guy shaking his head over that.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:28 AM   #170
country flag Deboogle!.

I read an article somewhere else, I forget where though It's funny, because I sat in on his press conference last year at Indian Wells after Rafa kicked his butt, and I was impressed by his poise and eloquence, but he clearly hasn't grown up at all.

I agree, I looked at the qualie draw and saw several Americans that could've used it. I guess this guy is a college player, but still.... very strange. I'm sure there's a reason for it.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:39 AM   #171
country flag SHB

Quote:
I read an article somewhere else, I forget where though It's funny, because I sat in on his press conference last year at Indian Wells after Rafa kicked his butt, and I was impressed by his poise and eloquence, but he clearly hasn't grown up at all.

I agree, I looked at the qualie draw and saw several Americans that could've used it. I guess this guy is a college player, but still.... very strange. I'm sure there's a reason for it.
I'm sure the three Baylor tennis fans in San Jose will be thrilled.

On Young, he actually has struck me as a nice kid in several interviews. I just don't think he handles his emotions well when faced with adversity. It seems that he was overcome by anger, frustration, and perhaps self pity. That doesn't excuse it and I think he deserved some criticism, but I wouldn't go overboard in impugning his character.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:41 AM   #172
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHB View Post
I'm sure the three Baylor tennis fans in San Jose will be thrilled.

Quote:
On Young, he actually has struck me as a nice kid in several interviews. I just don't think he handles his emotions well when faced with adversity. It seems that he was overcome by anger, frustration, and perhaps self pity. That doesn't excuse it and I think he deserved some criticism, but I wouldn't go overboard in impugning his character.
Yeah, probably. But if any of this is true and the WCs stop coming his way, he'll find it a lot harder to maintain his ranking if he keeps falling so meekly in qualifying. He's obviously talented, so hopefully he can get his act together quickly and take control of his life and career before it's too late.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:55 AM   #173
country flag SHB

Quote:
Yeah, probably. But if any of this is true and the WCs stop coming his way, he'll find it a lot harder to maintain his ranking if he keeps falling so meekly in qualifying. He's obviously talented, so hopefully he can get his act together quickly and take control of his life and career before it's too late.
That's what I fear. Things could snowball fast. I remember hearing that he contemplated quitting tennis a couple years ago when he was struggling on the pro circuit. Might he do that again if he keeps piling up losses? Losses like the one he suffered tonight can place a huge strain on the confidence of a player. If you're not resilient, things can fall apart. I really believe that he could use a good coach. I'm sure his parents were great coaches for him when he was young, but it's time to move on. He flashes impressive talent at times, but that's the problem - they're just flashes. Can he put it together or will he go down in history as another example of a high profile junior flaming out? This year may be a crossroads for him.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #174
country flag SHB

Strangely enough, Young is playing Futures qualies in McAllen, Texas, this week. It actually might be a good idea. He needs to get out of the losing mode that he's in, and getting a few easy wins might be a way for him to build confidence.

He got a bye in the first round and beat Harry Fowler 6-4, 6-2 in the second round. It should have been easier than that, but I think he'll take any win he can get right now.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:48 AM   #175
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute

Random question for Deboogle. Who is that in your avatar?

BAGHDATIS | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO | TIPSY

JOHN | KENDO | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | SWEETING |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock Forever
Ozone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:55 AM   #176
country flag 10K Futures Qualifier
Athletic DNA

10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
Random question for Deboogle. Who is that in your avatar?
Roddick and Dwight
10K Futures Qualifier is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:58 AM   #177
country flag Deboogle!.

Yeah, Rainn Wilson from the Office

Old 03-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #178
country flag rice

rice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Strangely enough, Young is playing Futures qualies in McAllen, Texas, this week. It actually might be a good idea. He needs to get out of the losing mode that he's in, and getting a few easy wins might be a way for him to build confidence.

He got a bye in the first round and beat Harry Fowler 6-4, 6-2 in the second round. It should have been easier than that, but I think he'll take any win he can get right now.
Saw the match and it was 4 all before Donald broke Fowler at ad and Fowler did not convert a break to bring it 5-5. Also Fowler had a chance to go up 0-3 in the first set. Fowler's court behavior has really matured and he was competitive with Young. I beieve he is still 16. But from what I saw in McALlen Young needs to develop more weapons, particulary his first serve and he needs to do more with returning a second serve. Fowler missed a lot of first servces in the first set and Young did not attack his second serve at all.
rice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #179
country flag SHB

464th ranked Tigran Martirosyan def. Young 6-2, 7-6(4) in the second round of the McAllen Futures. Wow.

I don't even want to think about what Young's year-end ranking might be.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:23 AM   #180
country flag chowdahead25

chowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond reputechowdahead25 has a reputation beyond repute

Barf.
Maybe he has mono or something.
lol

Singles (131) -- Record - Qualifying: 20-14 Main Draw: 24-20 -- W: Gimcheon CH F: Astana-2 CH SF: Itajai CH, San Marino CH QF: Sarasota CH, Samarkand CH, Winston-Salem

Doubles (132) -- Record - Qualifying: 20-7 Main Draw: 27-24 -- W: Gimcheon CH F: Marseille, Arad CH SF: Itajai CH, Tianjin CH, Marburg CH, Vancouver CH, San Marino CH

Check out my new tennis "career" here!!! - http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=502881
chowdahead25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote