Donald Young - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #151
country flag tae04

tae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Donald Young

Where is the Don?
tae04 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #152
country flag 2moretogo

2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute

Just to update the thread, Donald is playing Newport, RI this week. He received a wildcard but is seeded 6th. He won his opening match against Woong-Sun Jun 6-3, 2-6, 6-4. His opponent next round is Alexander Peya. Tricky match for Donald, but at this point in his career, which match isn't?
2moretogo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:23 AM   #153
country flag 2moretogo

2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, what can I say really... Way to go Donald!!! He beat Haas 6-2, 6-4 first round of LA. Hopefully he can build off of this result.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:43 AM   #154
country flag SHB

SHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond repute

Stunning. He was downright terrible against Monfils last week. He hardly looked like a pro. Hell, his whole year has pretty much been a disaster outside of his win against Feliciano Lopez at Indian Wells.

I really hope he turns it around. I still think he has the potential to be a very good player. He needs cut down the unforced errors, learn to control his emotions, and get in the damn weight room. His serve seems weaker than it did last year at this time when it appeared that he was making big strides in that regard. He doesn't have to be all that powerful to be good (see Murray, Nieminen, Davydenko, etc.), but he needs a little more pop than he has now.
SHB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #155
country flag Alex.
should be empty.

Alex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't expecting a win, let alone just losing 6 games. Wow Donald.
m. raonic : b. tomic : d. istomin
Alex. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:54 AM   #156
country flag 2moretogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHB View Post
Stunning. He was downright terrible against Monfils last week. He hardly looked like a pro. Hell, his whole year has pretty much been a disaster outside of his win against Feliciano Lopez at Indian Wells.

I really hope he turns it around. I still think he has the potential to be a very good player. He needs cut down the unforced errors, learn to control his emotions, and get in the damn weight room. His serve seems weaker than it did last year at this time when it appeared that he was making big strides in that regard. He doesn't have to be all that powerful to be good (see Murray, Nieminen, Davydenko, etc.), but he needs a little more pop than he has now.
Yeah, he really stunk up the court @ Cincy against an visibly injured Monfils. It was the first time I felt that his confidence was like gone and he look uninterested. Don's problem is learning to be patient with the week in week out grind of the tour. You feel like he's so pissy out there at times he really needs to find balance. Fortunately he's got time. I still believe that if he can get over this hump he could not only be a good player but a great one. His learning curve has been so writ w/ pressure.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:23 AM   #157
country flag SHB

SHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, what a match against Blake. The first and third sets were much like the Monfils match (i.e. horrendous), but he played some great tennis in the second, fourth, and portions of the fifth set. I really thought he might pull it out as the pressure on Blake began to mount, but Blake played strong tennis at the end.

I don't care what anyone says, Young displayed top-10 talent tonight. He is quite a player when he is at his best. His hands, as McEnroe frequently mentions, really are outstanding. His speed is in the upper echelon. He can trouble opponents with heavy spin and he can flatten the ball out for a winner. His lefty serve, when it's on, can be difficult to handle, and he showed tonight that he's capable of hitting in the upper 120s on a fast surface. He can be very, very good, and should be in the top 50 right now.

I'm struggling to understand why he so rarely plays this well. Even in this match his great play was interspersed with awful play. I find it incredibly frustrating.

My best guess is that he lacks confidence and focus. He is a completely different player when he's confident. McEnroe talked about the need for him to receive coaching from people other than his parents, which he only occasionally receives now. He also thinks he needs to train against better competition and questioned whether he's as fit as he needs to be. In addition, several times in the match he pointed out lazy footwork by Young, which I've noticed as well. Poor footwork seems to be lead to many of his unforced errors. Good coaching should take care of that.

Young's performance tonight renews my belief that he can be a top player, but it has also renewed my frustration about his results. He's short-changing himself.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:30 AM   #158
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

he needs a good coach. He definitely demonstrated he has lots of raw talent, but unless and until he matures enough to take control over his own career and do what needs to be done, it's hard to see him advancing past where he is now, hovering between 75-150, with decent wins combined with horrible losses and inconsistent play.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...

Last edited by Deboogle!. : 08-26-2008 at 05:46 AM.
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #159
country flag Sexysova

Sexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond repute

US Open R1 - James Blake def. Donald Young 6-1 3-6 6-1 4-6 6-4

MATCH: http://forum.vaidisova-nicole.com/vi...9&p=7380#p7380

LAST GAME: http://forum.vaidisova-nicole.com/vi...7&p=7341#p7341

NICOLE VAIDISOVA

DJOKOVIC | GASQUET | GULBIS | FEDERER | RODDICK | STEPANEK | OTHER CZECHS

ALL MY TENNIS VIDEOS

Last edited by Sexysova : 08-27-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Sexysova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #160
country flag tae04

tae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond reputetae04 has a reputation beyond repute

So is Don playing the challengers this fall. He needs to defend more points or he'll keep dropping down the rankings.
tae04 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:16 PM   #161
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

He's playing the ATP tourney in Thailand next week - he got in off the ALT list

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #162
country flag 2moretogo

Don just lost the first set against Melzer... Let's see if he can regroup. Anyways, it is good that he is traveling and hopefully he will try to go to Europe before coming back to the US.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #163
country flag 2moretogo

does anyone know where/if Donald is playing prior to AO? Thanks.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:09 AM   #164
country flag SHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2moretogo View Post
does anyone know where/if Donald is playing prior to AO? Thanks.
I don't think he is, which I find odd. It seems like a waste of two weeks on his best surface. He certainly can't be tired coming off of a lengthy break.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:21 PM   #165
country flag SHB

Apparently Young has withdrawn from the AO. A bizarre decision if an injury isn't the reason.

He is entered in the Carson Challenger, which starts Jan. 26. If this is a matter of not wanting to go through qualifying, I have to question his judgment.