Early 2001 Article on Coria and Nalbandian - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-15-2002, 11:12 AM   #1
country flag Chloe le Bopper

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Early 2001 Article on Coria and Nalbandian

Well it isn't an article really, more comentary, but I always love to read stuff like this that is old and looking ahead.

http://www.tennis-ontheline.com/aw/aw010217.htm

Around the World with Mr. Ed (February 17, 2001)
by Ed Toombs

We pay tribute this week's to three of the hot hands in tennis, veteran Magdalena Maleeva and Argentine adolescents Guillermo Coria and David Nalbandian. And we also pay tribute to some intrepid Davis Cup warriors who literally had hot and cold hands.

Teenage Argentines shine in South America
It is well known that Argentina has become not only the dominant South American tennis nation, but also one of the world's tennis powers. The presence of seven Argentines in the top 100 (all ranking mentions will refer to the Entry Ranking) speaks for itself. And just in case anyone might think that this success is a flash in the pan, consider the emergence of two former junior stars now making waves on the tour: Guillermo Coria and David Nalbandian. The teenagers – 18 and 19 years old respectively – stood out at this week's tournament in Viña del Mar, Chile, with Coria reaching the semifinals (as of this writing) and Nalbandian the quarterfinals.
Coria's rise to prominence from the junior ranks, where he was the world's best in 1999, was startling. He began 2000 with a ranking of #737, and by year end he was already checking in at #88. Late last year he showed he was more than ready for the big events by outrageously dominating the tough Copa Ericsson Challenger circuit in Latin America, winning four straight tournaments on both hard courts and clay. It took tour regular Gastón Gaudio to bring Coria's 20-match winning streak to a close, at the season-ending Grán Copa Ericsson.

This season Coria has shown no signs of nerves at the bigger tour events. He has already reached the quarterfinals in Bogotá, in addition to his fine showing in Chile this week. His youthful good looks, dynamic tennis and confident swagger has already made him a major draw at the South American tournaments, and even made him the subject of a photo shoot at the Australian Open. The rest of the world will surely be discovering Guillermo Coria very soon.

If Coria is the hare of South American teen tennis, David Nalbandian is the tortoise. A year older than Coria, Nalbandian was also a junior star in the late 1990s, notably winning the 1999 U.S. Open final over Roger Federer and losing to… Coria in the 1999 Roland-Garros final.

David struggled initially to make his mark at the professional level, but on the strength of successive quarterfinals in Bogotá and Viña del mar appears to be ready to rumble on the main tour now. The discreet Nalbandian, one of the rare redheads in Argentina, has impressed observers with a mature, all-court game that makes up in precision and variety what it might lack in power.

Certainly all eyes will be on the two rising teenage stars when the ATP makes a stop in Buenos Aires, for the first Argentine tour event since 1995.

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2002, 02:53 AM   #2
Lucas Arg

Lucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rebecca for posting this article

DAVID NALBANDIAN - GUILLERMO CAÑAS
JUAN IGNACIO CHELA - GUILLERMO CORIA
GASTON GAUDIO - JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO
JOSE ACASUSO - AGUSTIN CALLERI
MARIANO ZABALETA - MARTIN GARCIA
DIEGO HARTFIELD - JUAN MONACO
JUAN PABLO GUZMAN - CARLOS BERLOCQ
SERGIO ROITMAN - MARTIN VASALLO ARGUELLO
Lucas Arg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 10:04 AM   #3

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute

Your welcome.

It is *so* hard to find David information in English.

I need to learn more languages

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 08-17-2002, 10:57 PM   #4
AdriRob

AdriRob has a reputation beyond reputeAdriRob has a reputation beyond reputeAdriRob has a reputation beyond reputeAdriRob has a reputation beyond reputeAdriRob has a reputation beyond reputeAdriRob has a reputation beyond reputeAdriRob has a reputation beyond reputeAdriRob has a reputation beyond reputeAdriRob has a reputation beyond reputeAdriRob has a reputation beyond reputeAdriRob has a reputation beyond repute

Becca, I thought you speak spanish.....

thank you for posting this article....I will help you look for info about David in english!!!
Old 08-18-2002, 12:52 AM   #5

Thankyou AdriRob - nope, no spanish here

I can read a lot of French mind you, but that doesn't really do me any good unless i want to read the biography of Gasquet or something of the like

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:48 PM   #6
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Early 2001 Article on Coria and Nalbandian

Interesting, indeed. And look how things have turned out for them....
sigmagirl91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 04:02 PM   #7
country flag Ma. Estefania

Ma. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx Becca.

It was very good, and the author definitely knew what he was talking about.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:49 PM   #8
country flag Catriel

Catriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond repute

Wow!
cool

Akhenaton rules - Horemherb sucks

Talk Tennis MessageBoard
Catriel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 10:53 PM   #9
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

The author is a huge fan of both Coria and Nalbandian.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 01:34 AM   #10
country flag Latinĝ1987

Latinĝ1987 has a reputation beyond reputeLatinĝ1987 has a reputation beyond reputeLatinĝ1987 has a reputation beyond reputeLatinĝ1987 has a reputation beyond reputeLatinĝ1987 has a reputation beyond reputeLatinĝ1987 has a reputation beyond reputeLatinĝ1987 has a reputation beyond reputeLatinĝ1987 has a reputation beyond reputeLatinĝ1987 has a reputation beyond reputeLatinĝ1987 has a reputation beyond reputeLatinĝ1987 has a reputation beyond repute

I can teach you spanish or help in somethings news or articles.
Latinĝ1987 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote