SI.com, Q&A: PETE SAMPRAS. - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #61
country flag Feketepuss

Feketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond reputeFeketepuss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SI.com, Q&A: PETE SAMPRAS.

He comments about Gonzo were outrageous I think.

Sampras's problem is that post tennis, he has no life. Sure, he can live like a king until his dying days but mentally, it's unhealthy especially for someone who led a highly structured disciplined life. All he can do is bitch and protect his status in the record books because the past is all he has. It's a pretty sad predicament I think. Contrast him with Lance Armstrong who went from cycling training to full time cancer awareness work. Lance has a new life and isn't bitching about the past. Pete is a hollow shell sadly and interviews like these will become all the more common.
Feketepuss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #62
country flag Andre'sNo1Fan

Andre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed=ATPTourkilla View Post
Oh yes he is. When his records go, he won't be remembered as #1 any more. So he has to pretend that the records aren't really going, that Fed's records are somehow "fake." Where do I see this? In just about everything he says. There are sly little digs all over the place - you don't have to look hard! (and other interviews have been worse than this one - at least here he pretends to be gracious). Examples of "sly little digs":

"People have mentioned to me: You should come back. There's not many great players today"

"He's winning these majors with pretty much ease. He's not challenged much."

"If there were three or four guys who were pushing him..."

"I don't see him slowing down or anyone slowing him down." (liked this one - "or anyone slowing him down")

"I would attack his backhand, which is his weaker side, and go from there. Unfortunately, we don't have anyone who can do that today" - this one is particularly silly as there are several players on tour with better backhands than Pete who have tried and failed to break down Fed's B/H. I mean Hewitt used to out-backhand Pete for god's sake. Federer's B/H is far superior to Pete's.

"James Blake is No. 6 in the world and I wonder what it would be like to play him at this stage of my life if he gave me a few months to prepare." - Translation: Even at 35 I can beat that sucker. Well, put your money where your mouth is, then! The Wimbledon W/C is waiting for you. If it is true that you can take out the world #6, you can certainly do some damage there. Better than being a bitter old man sniping from the sidelines.

"It is crazy the amount of power a guy like Fernando Gonzalez can get from that racket. It has made mediocre players better..." Translation: He is a mediocre player with a good racquet. I don't think this one is really on. Gonzo is not mediocre, he was posting winner/ UE stats at the AO that I can't remember Pete ever getting close to (although of course it may just be the racquet!)
It amazes me how much time people like you spend on things so trivial.

Andre'sNo1Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:40 PM   #63
country flag kobulingam

kobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoman View Post
Pete has done nothing to elevate the sport of tennis and he knows it. The fear of having to change his name to Pete Who after Fed wins his 15th Slam is the reason he is in constant defensive mode.
Yeah, and Sampras still has every single penny he earned on the tour and through endorsements. He still takes the free meals, etc. offered to him at restaraunts. He donates nothing, and never participated in charity events (until he recently started showing up to some events Agassi was organizing... I wonder how much appearance fee he got)?

He's a selfish bastard with a giant ego. He doesn't care about anyone except himself.
kobulingam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #64
country flag kobulingam

kobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisha View Post
i have always found pete boring!!!, so this isnt surprising. simply having more slams doesnt mean your are a better player but roger is closing that on him too. at the end of the day most people would agree, compared to pete... roger is in a world of his own, and to give the credit to racket technology is ungracious and stupid. pete was a great player, but i think agassi was a BETTER player as he kept up the "newer" generation of players longer!
I bet you Pete had access to better racquet technology when Baby Fed beat his ass down at Wimbledon. Agree?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:45 PM   #65
country flag kobulingam

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiel View Post
And what has Federer done to elevates it so far, not a damm thing, so leave Pete alone, you are just green with envy of the great man.
Federer does more around the world in a year than Sampras has dreamt of doing in his life. That's the truth.

It's a well known fact that Sampras is a selfish bastard. He's almost as money hungry as he is ego hungry.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:46 PM   #66
country flag marcRD
Banned!

marcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond repute

This is sadly Sampras competitive nature speaking, I think he is a nice guy with an enormeous competitive nature and the way he talks about players today is the only way he can get it out of his system, his lust to compete against them must be spoken out as he ant compete against them any longer. He fought so hard to get all those records and to see them broken by Federer so fast and he cant do anything about them. The only way for him to compete against Federer is to speak bad about his opponents.

I am sure Gonzalez or Blake who are the ones Sampras really is insulting badly (aswell as Nadal in earlier interviews) would accept an exhibition and Sampras could have all time he wants to prepare. That would maybe stop all this btching from Sampras about these mediocre players.
marcRD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:51 PM   #67
country flag kobulingam

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcRD View Post
This is sadly Sampras competitive nature speaking, I think he is a nice guy with an enormeous competitive nature and the way he talks about players today is the only way he can get it out of his system, his lust to compete against them must be spoken out as he ant compete against them any longer. He fought so hard to get all those records and to see them broken by Federer so fast and he cant do anything about them. The only way for him to compete against Federer is to speak bad about his opponents.

I am sure Gonzalez or Blake who are the ones Sampras really is insulting badly (aswell as Nadal in earlier interviews) would accept an exhibition and Sampras could have all time he wants to prepare. That would maybe stop all this btching from Sampras about these mediocre players.

I would love to see Sampras (even go back a few years to get Peak Sampras via a time machine) face Nadal on clay.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #68
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute

I think his main problem is boredom. His schedual made me want to kinda cry for him! How can a guy as young as 35 sit on his ass like that all day. I mean, he is *35*!!! I don't know, start a charity, go back to school? coach?

I just found it kind of depressing.
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:53 PM   #69
country flag World Beater

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcRD View Post

yep...agree...pete is not a bad guy but he does have a large ego. who can blame him? he won 14 slams after all. dlol...believe me past greats in other sports ARE MUCH WORSE. michael jordan, anyone? although considering he was way more legendary than sampras, he is still isnt as annoyed by the current generation combined with the fact that nobody is close to coming his achievements.
World Beater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:54 PM   #70

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

the funny thing is that pete forgets he lost to george bastl on grass. dlol...and he thinks he can beat nadal. in his prime , for sure...but now?

LMAO
Old 02-19-2007, 09:57 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre'sNo1Fan View Post

Old 02-19-2007, 10:10 PM   #72
country flag Bremen

Bremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre'sNo1Fan View Post
You're here too aren't you?
Bremen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:15 PM   #73
country flag Andre'sNo1Fan

Andre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen View Post
You're here too aren't you?
I'm not writing essays about a comment someone made, and what it actually means. I couldn't give a flying f.. what it actually means. I concentrate on the tennis, not some garbage talk.

Andre'sNo1Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:15 PM   #74
country flag BigAlbinoDonky

BigAlbinoDonky has a reputation beyond reputeBigAlbinoDonky has a reputation beyond reputeBigAlbinoDonky has a reputation beyond reputeBigAlbinoDonky has a reputation beyond reputeBigAlbinoDonky has a reputation beyond reputeBigAlbinoDonky has a reputation beyond reputeBigAlbinoDonky has a reputation beyond reputeBigAlbinoDonky has a reputation beyond reputeBigAlbinoDonky has a reputation beyond reputeBigAlbinoDonky has a reputation beyond reputeBigAlbinoDonky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobulingam View Post
Yeah, and Sampras still has every single penny he earned on the tour and through endorsements. He still takes the free meals, etc. offered to him at restaraunts. He donates nothing, and never participated in charity events (until he recently started showing up to some events Agassi was organizing... I wonder how much appearance fee he got)?

He's a selfish bastard with a giant ego. He doesn't care about anyone except himself.
Lmao....and you're Canadian. Owned.

And what percentage of $$$ do YOU give to charity Mr. Holier Than Thou?
BigAlbinoDonky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:18 PM   #75
country flag Apemant

Apemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond reputeApemant has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
Good interview with Petey. I'm not surprised to see the paranoid Fedtards all up in arms overreacting and misconstruing everything he says as being some kind of veiled diss to today's players. I saw nothing sinister behind his gracious words.

Saying how the racquet technology turns mediocre players into great ones is the epitome of class and grace. As is the claim that noone today is capable of attacking Fed's BH - implying that he would've done it any better. That's pure BS.

But I don't hold it against Sampras; he is still too young to act as an old wiseman who doesn't mind the youngsters get better than him. The way Fed's looming over all of his records still very much hurts his pride. It's also very much human. Noone's gonna hang him for that.
Apemant is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote