SI.com, Q&A: PETE SAMPRAS. - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-16-2007, 07:39 PM   #16
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SI.com, Q&A: PETE SAMPRAS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Beater View Post
in fairness, stefanki took a shot at sampras when he talked about federer saying that in todays game, one wouldnt be able to ride only a serve and a forehand to the top
One could almost interpret that as a shot at the pre-Stefanki Gonzalez too.... anyhow a dismissal of Sampras as "serve and forehand" would be inaccurate and unfair, in the same way dismissing current players as robotic power merchants is also unrealistic.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #17
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Federer View Post
Bittersweet. He believed, so many people believed, his record would stand the test of time. It might still but it is looking less likely the last year or so.

He is classy in his responses, particularly since it must be a friggin' pain to have to deal with Federer questions in every interview he is giving.

This was unnecessary

"A guy like Fernando Gonzo""? What does he mean? Does something about Gonzo's physical shape or ball swing suggest he would NOT get power?
this is not the first time Pete has said something like this. I remember him saying that seeing a "player like Nadal" making the Wimbly finals makes him "lick his lips" at the prospect of playing Wimbly again.

Not exactly complementative
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #18
country flag njnetswill

njnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond repute

If Pete thinks he is so great he should come back.

There is no doubt Sampras was THE player of his generation, but it isn't worth it to keep ratting on the current players when his time has passed. All it does is make him look defensive.

Winner:2012 Madrid, 2011 Rome, 2009 Delray Beach, Montreal 2008 Toronto, 2007 New Haven, 2005 St. Petersburg

TT Singles Career High: 7
TT Doubles Career High: 4

Singles Winner: 2010 Bucharest, 2007 Indian Wells
Doubles Winner: 2012 San Jose, Queens (w/hallso) 2011 Los Angeles (w/hallso)
njnetswill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:08 PM   #19
country flag Howard

Howard has a reputation beyond reputeHoward has a reputation beyond reputeHoward has a reputation beyond reputeHoward has a reputation beyond reputeHoward has a reputation beyond reputeHoward has a reputation beyond reputeHoward has a reputation beyond reputeHoward has a reputation beyond reputeHoward has a reputation beyond reputeHoward has a reputation beyond reputeHoward has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland View Post
I don't know about classy. I think he's clever in the way he gets his digs in. So bascially he's saying the guys out there now (other than Federer) are mediocre but because of racquet technology they're made to look good? Sorry I have a hard time believing racquets changed that much in the past 5-10 years.
As you get older, you tend to believe that people in your generation were smarter, cuter, more athletic, braver, nicer and just generally better than the current generation. In ten or fifteen years we'll be reminiscing about how much better players of "our" generation were.
Howard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:54 PM   #20
country flag nanoman

nanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond repute

Pete tried his hardest to act classy, but in some instances he couldn't help himself and his bitterness slipped through.
nanoman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:14 PM   #21
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised about the Gonzo comments. It is hard to say whether or not it is a jibe without actually HEARING him speak. However, that is how it looks. Truth be told, up till the final Gonzo played well enough to beat anyone in any era. I'm not even beggining to compare the two but I didn't ever see Sampras post the type of numbers Gonzo did, plus, should be easier for a big server.

Is interesting that he says he would take Goran's serve as the best stroke. I think that's pretty damn complementary for Goran coming from a server like him.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #22
country flag Whistleway

Whistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
Great post. you totally rocked that one.
Whistleway is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:58 PM   #23
country flag Whistleway

Whistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe how sour Sampras comes across. I use to like him much better when he used to let the racket do the talking. Now it seems like he is just trying so hard to impress...
Whistleway is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:18 PM   #24
country flag Pigpen Stinks

Pigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrosjeantheGreat View Post

He'z married to Screech?
Actually, I think Pete confused his wife with Oscar worthy actress Tori Spelling.
Pigpen Stinks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:25 PM   #25
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoman View Post
Pete tried his hardest to act classy, but in some instances he couldn't help himself and his bitterness slipped through.
hehe. nicely put.
Henry Chinaski is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:59 PM   #26
country flag marcRD
Banned!

marcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond repute

2002 Miami TMS Gonzalez df Sampras 7-6(1) 6-1
marcRD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:07 AM   #27
country flag senorgato

senorgato has a reputation beyond reputesenorgato has a reputation beyond reputesenorgato has a reputation beyond reputesenorgato has a reputation beyond reputesenorgato has a reputation beyond reputesenorgato has a reputation beyond reputesenorgato has a reputation beyond reputesenorgato has a reputation beyond reputesenorgato has a reputation beyond reputesenorgato has a reputation beyond reputesenorgato has a reputation beyond repute

Meh. Typical Sampras interview. He tries so hard to sound gracious, but comes off as ego-protective. Of all the "greats" in sports I have to say I like Pete's commentary the least.
senorgato is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:52 AM   #28
country flag SushiMinimal

SushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond reputeSushiMinimal has a reputation beyond repute

If the rackets are so good today why there aren't another guys hitting the ball that hard from 1 meter and a half from the baseline like gonzo ???

this gives me an idea: 2002 Miami TMS Gonzalez df Sampras 7-6(1) 6-1
SushiMinimal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:56 AM   #29
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze-2004 View Post
this is not the first time Pete has said something like this. I remember him saying that seeing a "player like Nadal" making the Wimbly finals makes him "lick his lips" at the prospect of playing Wimbly again.

Not exactly complementative
Yes he did say that. And last year when he played that exhibition with Ginepri when he was asked about Nadal he said he was a "great clay courter", but the way he said it was a bit dismissive. Like as if being great on clay was some how inferior to being great on another surface.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:06 AM   #30
country flag kobulingam

kobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond repute

With all the whining he has been doing, and the trashing of current
tennis players, Sampras is losing respect from both fans and players
alike. Pete should realize that he can either come back to the tour
and put an end to the debate on who is a superior player, or should
shut up instead of responding to the stupid questions that the media
throws at him about Federer and other players. I used to like Sampras,
but he is sounding more and more like a big time loser with all the
mouthing off he has been doing lately. What a shame?. The Rod-dicks
and Gimbel-Pricks losing to him does not meet shit. If that makes him
think he has still got game, let him come on back to the tour and
prove it. Or, shut the fuck up.