Coria and Gaudio history? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-28-2004, 02:45 AM   #1
Steve-o

Steve-o is on a distinguished road
Default Coria and Gaudio history?

Can someone please explain what the history is between Gaudio and Coria? Its obvious there is some sort of personal feud between the two.

Also, who is considered more friendly, Guillermo or Gaston?

Thanks.
Steve-o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2004, 02:25 PM   #2
WillyCañasMaster

WillyCañasMaster is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Coria and Gaudio history?

Well, Steve-O, I really don´t know why this personal fight between them, but you know, often the press does a lot for this. Whatever, I guess that the main reason to this is the fact of they are, probably, two talented players which don´t like much each other´s style or point of view, nothing very important. I remember that one or two years ago, here in Argentina, there was organised a match between them, with strong advertisement and it resulted a simple way to make money for the people who arranged it, so I mean, I suppose that all the features of this kind of rivality are used for the show business. Personally, I don´t think this rivality even exists, but I´m sure that they never will be friends. If I had to choose between them, I prefer Coria´s magic. It´s a pity that in my country some people don´t like him because some of his attitudes.

Bye...

Fuerza Diego (10) !!!!!!!! "...Maradó, Maradó..."
WillyCañasMaster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 04:34 PM   #3
country flag LubiG

LubiG has a reputation beyond reputeLubiG has a reputation beyond reputeLubiG has a reputation beyond reputeLubiG has a reputation beyond reputeLubiG has a reputation beyond reputeLubiG has a reputation beyond reputeLubiG has a reputation beyond reputeLubiG has a reputation beyond reputeLubiG has a reputation beyond reputeLubiG has a reputation beyond reputeLubiG has a reputation beyond repute

i agree that it's probably just an invention from the press, but the story sais that once after a match where Guillermo disscussed a couple balls and got it his way Gaston hit him in the dressing room and they got into a fight... And i know they are not very friendly with each other, but you don't have to belive everything the press sais...

Nº1 2004!!!!

WE MADE PEPSI, WE MADE COKE, BUT GOD MADE GUILLE SO DAMN HOT!!!
LubiG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 04:36 PM   #4
country flag amethyst

amethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond repute

One incident between these 2 happened in TMS Hamburg semifinal last year. Coria was cramping in the third set and had some treatment but still won the match. Because Coria was chasing down every ball although he could barely walk between rallies, Gaudio accused him of faking the injury. There were rumours that they had a vehement dispute after the match in the locker room, but I don´t know if this is true.
amethyst is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 07:10 PM   #5
Steve-o

Thanks..

I remember a couple years ago Acasuso's coach and Coria were fighting in some exhibition in Argentina.

I like both players, but I think Coria has learned to control his emotions much better than Gaudio and thus has really started to realize his talents.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:48 PM   #6
country flag Kiara

Kiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by amethyst
One incident between these 2 happened in TMS Hamburg semifinal last year. Coria was cramping in the third set and had some treatment but still won the match. Because Coria was chasing down every ball although he could barely walk between rallies, Gaudio accused him of faking the injury. There were rumours that they had a vehement dispute after the match in the locker room, but I don´t know if this is true.
hehe, I seemed to have overlooked this thread....a discussion about Guille's many many bitchfights....yummy

Anyway Amethyst is right, he complained of cramps at the end of the second and took asked to be treated by the trainer but he miraculously recovered to win the third. The classic moment was when after having won the match he pathetically limped towards the net,like he was in an incredible pain and discomfort even though he was bounding around like a puppy in the third , at the net Gaudio said something to him but I dont think Guille heared what it was and he was like "what?" but Gaudio just pushed him aside..I dont think they battled it out in the dressing room, Gaudio said that they only talked and didnt fight so....

Another disagreement was between Guille's father and the Davis cup captain Gustavo Luza , this was when they were supossed to play Spain in Malaga, he said something like Gui wont make the team because the Argentinian team is only made up of the captain's friends and he called them a "clan" lol, and he asked for Guillermo Vilas to be replace Luza as DC captain since he would only pick the deserving players where as the current situation was that only the captain's friends were chosen to play.

There are actual quotes from him, he made some pretty harsh accusations there, I cant be bothered to dig 'em up now, I will do sometime, coz well....it's interesting.
Kiara is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 03:30 AM   #7
Steve-o

Wow... that incident in Hamburg sounds just as bad as when Roddick was "cramping" in his hand then would hit the hardest forehands and serves imaginable against Michael Chang at Roland Garros a couple years ago.

Only thing is Michael Chang is too much of a nice guy and gentleman to say anything but every other player knows what happened. Remeber Lapentti almost got in a fight with Roddick about that?
Old 03-29-2004, 01:48 PM   #8
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o
Wow... that incident in Hamburg sounds just as bad as when Roddick was "cramping" in his hand then would hit the hardest forehands and serves imaginable against Michael Chang at Roland Garros a couple years ago.

Only thing is Michael Chang is too much of a nice guy and gentleman to say anything but every other player knows what happened. Remeber Lapentti almost got in a fight with Roddick about that?
Lol..... Chang did the same "cramping" thing against Lendl at Roland Garros when Chang took the title. He even served underhanded once time catching Lendl flat footed. So....... of course, Chang didn't say anything about Roddick's cramps.

I take exception to Kiara's statement of the facts. Lots of people have played with cramps and made themselves keep going during the points and then limped between them. She insinuates that Coria was malingering and pretending. I don't think that is true.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 01:58 PM   #9
country flag Kiara

Kiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star
Lol..... Chang did the same "cramping" thing against Lendl at Roland Garros when Chang took the title. He even served underhanded once time catching Lendl flat footed. So....... of course, Chang didn't say anything about Roddick's cramps.

I take exception to Kiara's statement of the facts. Lots of people have played with cramps and made themselves keep going during the points and then limped between them. She insinuates that Coria was malingering and pretending. I don't think that is true.
well I saw the match and I remember thinking he was in pain but I didnt think he was in as much pain as he let on, neither did the eurosport commentators,neither did Boris Becker. He limped on occasion during points but sometimes he didnt and I found that odd...and he was running and sliding like as if nothing was hindering his movement but if he was infact injured then all credit to him for playing like a pro but I didnt buy that it was as serious as he made everyone believe.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:06 PM   #10
country flag Kiara

I dont think he was feigning cramps, but I dont think im entirely wrong in thinking he made a rather big deal out of something that wasnt . And I did find that he picked himself up off the floor and limped towards the net in the most melodramatic fashion, maybe the word "pathetic" was too strong...I dont mean to scorn him for what he did, I also didnt say I didnt believe he was cramping, all im saying is that IMO he slightly exaggerated is all.

Last edited by Kiara : 03-29-2004 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:32 PM   #11
country flag amethyst

amethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond repute

I think it´s very hard to judge wether a player is faking or exaggerating cramps. I agree with star that many players manage to move quite well during points and at least offer heavy resistance while they can barely walk between points. But I also understand that Gaudio was irritated as Corias moves were not restricted at all during points.
amethyst is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 08:02 PM   #12
Steve-o

Star,

we can debate about Chang's cramps but regardless of whether he did or didn't cramp, Roddick's show of cramps was more than a little obnoxious. Chang against Lendl... that match was so long ago, but I don't seem to remember many people thinking Chang faked it.

Many people would agree that Roddick while he was cramping, did overdo it at Roland Garros.

I don't know if you are a Roddick fan or not, I am not a big Chang fan and at the time I didn't have much of an opinion on Roddick; either way I'm just calling it as I see it.

The whole situation where one player cramps is very tough because it is difficult to know whether he is faking or not. I think it ends up depending on a lot of things. Which muscle it is for example makes a huge difference, what a player's pain tolerance is, etc etc.

In the end though the only way to extrapolate is to look at the person as a whole and their history and judge whether or not that person is likely to do such a thing or not.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:20 AM   #13
country flag ale

ale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond repute

After the match in Hamburg Gaston's brother had a fist fight with Guillermo.
ale is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 05:21 AM   #14
country flag ale

ale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond reputeale has a reputation beyond repute

Also I remember Philippousis against Ferrero for the Davis Cup. He was injured "supposedly" - came back and took Ferrero out. Weird. huh?
ale is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 06:48 AM   #15
country flag esther

esther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond reputeesther has a reputation beyond repute

ugh that was the most PAINFUL match!! (mark vs JC)

neway vamos guille!!