Why Did Juan Carlos Ferrero Spiral Out Of Control? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-14-2007, 11:25 PM   #1
country flag Jaffas85

Jaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why Did Juan Carlos Ferrero Spiral Out Of Control?

How come Ferrero can't consistently produce the tennis he showed when he made the final of Cincinnati last year?

If he could do that he would be back inside the Top 10 and start reaching at least the Quarters of Grand Slams again.

How come he cannot be as consistent as he was between 2001 and mid 2004?

What exactly went wrong?

Thanks.

BTW, I didn't want to start a separate thread for this so I'll just ask here:

Will the Tennis Masters Cup final still be a best of five set match despite the fact all Masters Series events are now to be best of 3?

Thanks again.
Jaffas85 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2007, 11:31 PM   #2
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Did Juan Carlos Ferrero Spiral Out Of Control?

Didn't he get the chickepox at some point?
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
country flag R.Federer

R.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it was subsequent to the chicken pox attack. It's probably not due to that, not totally. You see players like Haas come back from injuries, and build confidence to reclaim their place in the top 10, top 20 and you do wonder how JCF has not been able to pick up again. It's really unfortunate.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:35 PM   #4
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Both he and Hewitt went downhill after contracting the pox; while Blake went uphill after contracting shingles (minor form of pox).

Hmmmmm.
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:44 PM   #5
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
Both he and Hewitt went downhill after contracting the pox; while Blake went uphill after contracting shingles (minor form of pox).

Hmmmmm.
The difference in outcome might have something to do with the difference in their respective quality before the illness struck, no? For both Hewitt and Ferrero the only way to go was down, Blake had much room for improvement. Although come to think of it you're generalising to say the least, considering that Hewitt's attack of the pox came at the very start of 2002 - you know, the year where he won Wimbledon, defended the TMC and was ranked no. 1 every week of the year?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:45 PM   #6
country flag R.Federer

R.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond repute

Lleyton reached two slam finas, a couple slam semis etc. after his attack. Ferrero never regained anything close to his previous form.

Blake and Haas recovering and doing as well or better than after injury just makes this all the more unfortunate that Ferrero has not been able to.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:57 PM   #7
country flag shotgun

shotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the fact that Blake and Haas went through much tougher times than Ferrero when they were out has something to do with it. More motivation to come back. Ferrero had already reached the top and won a Slam, like Sjengster said, it may be tough to find motivation when you know the only way to go is down.
shotgun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:07 AM   #8
country flag aramis

aramis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond reputearamis has a reputation beyond repute

Well, first of all, his performance at Cincy was far from his best stuff. His movement is too sluggish nowadays, so the quality of his shots, especially his forehand, has crumbled. Most of his opponents at Cincy played like fools and couldn't keep a ball in play for more than three or four shots. But basically, his problems started early in 2004 when he got chicken pox. He rested for about a month and started playing again when his body was still weak from the illness. He took a lot of beatings the rest of the year from players he shouldn't have lost to. Lost in the 2nd round of RG where he was defending champ, so his confidence take a severe blow. He also suffered a rib injury while this was going on, so physically, for the rest of the year he was far from 100%. He kept playing tournaments anyway though, but he wasn't able to win more than two matches per week for the rest of the year. Confidence went down. Also, during the Davis Cup final that year, the captain placed Nadal in front of him at the last second to go against Roddick. What that bascially meant to him was that the captain didn't think he was good enough to beat Andy Roddick on clay in Spain. For a guy who was the clay court king recently, that must have hurt his morale.

In 2005 he tried switching racquets. People have different opinions on this, but I feel this hurt his groundstrokes. The power just wasn't there even though it looked like he was trying to crush the ball. The result was that he couldn't finish points or take control when he normally would. I can't remember how many times he couldn't take control of the point when his opponent gave him a clear opportunity to do so. He still seemed very motivated on the court and the exceptional movement was still there, just the power was missing. He nearly beat Federer that year and gave him a tough fight at Wimbledon, so he definitely improved.

2006 is what really confuses me, though. He's looked so apathetic on the court since then, and like I said, his movement is sluggish for some reason. He's not hitting the ball as crisp and smooth as he once did, and so even little guys like Rochus were able to overpower him from the baseline. Basically, I feel his problem may have started with injuries, illnesses, etc., but now after recovering completely he just doesn't seem to have the same drive and energy on the court. He may be able to stay in the top 30 or 20 with the way he plays now, but if he wants to get back into the top 5 he has to start playing with some passion again.
aramis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:51 AM   #9
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster View Post
The difference in outcome might have something to do with the difference in their respective quality before the illness struck, no? For both Hewitt and Ferrero the only way to go was down, Blake had much room for improvement. Although come to think of it you're generalising to say the least, considering that Hewitt's attack of the pox came at the very start of 2002 - you know, the year where he won Wimbledon, defended the TMC and was ranked no. 1 every week of the year?
R. Federer is right is correcti in the facts. No slam win afterwards. On top of that, and probably more troubling, was the marriage curse. Had he also dated Martina Hingis, he'd be retired by now.
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:01 AM   #10
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
R. Federer is right is correcti in the facts. No slam win afterwards. On top of that, and probably more troubling, was the marriage curse. Had he also dated Martina Hingis, he'd be retired by now.
No, you're both getting events mixed up. The chickenpox was at the start of 2002, that's basically why he lost to Beto Martin in the opening round of the AO, then he got over it and went on to win 15 matches in a row, including the title at IW. And as I said, won Wimbledon just a few months later. His subsequent slump in 2003 had nothing to do with physical problems, I believe he got an ankle or toe injury after the DC semis and therefore didn't play until the DC final, but that was it.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:20 AM   #11
swisstruffles

swisstruffles has a reputation beyond reputeswisstruffles has a reputation beyond reputeswisstruffles has a reputation beyond reputeswisstruffles has a reputation beyond reputeswisstruffles has a reputation beyond reputeswisstruffles has a reputation beyond reputeswisstruffles has a reputation beyond reputeswisstruffles has a reputation beyond reputeswisstruffles has a reputation beyond reputeswisstruffles has a reputation beyond reputeswisstruffles has a reputation beyond repute

maybe he had success too early and after he came back from the chickenpox, the game had changed so much and maybe he doesnt have the belief that he could battle it through to the top again. The mens game has so much depth its unbelieveable. If he was playing in the WTA he could be in top 5 maybe. LOL

oh and dont smear the argentines with one finger, u cant do that. take a look at my avatar- not all of them cheat!
swisstruffles is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:22 AM   #12
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

"spiral out of control"... talk about exaggeration...

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:57 AM   #13
country flag Edda

Edda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with RogiFan. Juan Carlos Ferrero may not have the slam record of a Roger, Rafa or Pete, but his accomplishments outside of tennis are spectacular. To have accomplished everything he has accomplished at the age of 31 is amazing.
Edda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:16 AM   #14
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Like a typical counterpuncher, he burnt out early anf got injured a lot. There is nothing surprising about his downward spiral.

Frauderer will NEVER win another slam
Crocodilovic will fall
Nadal will reclaim number #1 in 2015.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:07 AM   #15
country flag moon language

moon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond repute

Chicken Pox as an adult tends to be significantly more severe than it is in children. Not that I have an opinion on whether or not that was the reason.
moon language is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote