Useless Mens Tennis Trivia - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-27-2004, 02:42 PM   #1
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Useless Mens Tennis Trivia

I am a bit bored, insomnia and no Roddick matches to put me to sleep, so here are some trivia questions. Try too hard not to cheat, lol.

If you get them correct, that's great. Your prize I will be nice for 3 minutes.

Here are the questions: Timeframe is from 1980- the present

1. Who was the last serve/volleyer to win the French Open? In what year and who did they defeat in the final?

2. Which two players have been the only ones to take part in two Davis Cup singles matches that lasted longer than 6 hours? Besides the length of the matches, there was something else unique about one of the player's particular matches?

3. Which player has come back twice from nine match points down to win a match ? Who were the players that lost those matches and where were they played.

4. Who was the last lucky loser to win an ATP tournament, and what tournament?

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1

Last edited by Action Jackson : 12-31-2004 at 03:09 AM.
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2004, 02:58 PM   #2
jtipson

jtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useless Tennis Trivia

1. Yannick Noah, 1983, bt Mats Wilander
2. John McEnroe (matches v Wilander, and Boris Becker)
...need to think about the rest!!
jtipson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 03:06 PM   #3
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

I have had to adjust question 2 as I just found out there were two players who have played two 6hr + singles matches, and there was something in common about the other guys matches.

Jtipson, McEnroe was correct, but do you know the other one and what was it him that was the common factor?

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-27-2004, 03:52 PM   #4
country flag rassklovn

rassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to behold

Great attempt at humour tangerine, that was outstanding.

The answer to #4 is the man who was the Jerry Seinfeld lookalike on the tour. The man who took out Agassi, Canas, Massu, Hewitt and Norman to win 2001 Scottsdale.

It was Francisco Clavet when he won Hilversum in 1990 as a lucky loser.
rassklovn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 04:30 PM   #5
jtipson

jtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
I have had to adjust question 2 as I just found out there were two players who have played two 6hr + singles matches, and there was something in common about the other guys matches.

Jtipson, McEnroe was correct, but do you know the other one and what was it him that was the common factor?
Hmmm...not off the top of my head, would have to do some digging...no idea about the guy who saved 9 match points either.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:33 PM   #6
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream
You could try reading your own posts. They work better than NyQuil for me.

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahaha

Happy Birthday wench and yes the humour is as poverty stricken as ever.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-27-2004, 04:34 PM   #7
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtipson
Hmmm...not off the top of my head, would have to do some digging...no idea about the guy who saved 9 match points either.
Good it has you thinking for once and don't complain that I don't talk about tennis enough.

Rass you arse clown you were right about the lucky loser thing.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-27-2004, 04:35 PM   #8
jtipson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Good it has you thinking for once and don't complain that I don't talk about tennis enough.
Thanks a bunch for the compliment. And when did I ever complain that you don't talk about tennis enough?
Old 03-27-2004, 04:41 PM   #9
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

It's Felix the Cat, of course, and one of 'em was I think against Berasategui in Hamburg, possibly 1997 when Mantilla got to the final. I'm not sure about t'other one.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 04:42 PM   #10
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtipson
Thanks a bunch for the compliment. And when did I ever complain that you don't talk about tennis enough?
Btw, thanks for the Monty Python reference earlier and yes I can bag my favourites and not take it as a personal insult unlike some people ( no, not yourself).

Have you got an answer for the revised part of question 2 which I reposted?

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-27-2004, 04:44 PM   #11
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster
It's Felix the Cat, of course, and one of 'em was I think against Berasategui in Hamburg, possibly 1997 when Mantilla got to the final. I'm not sure about t'other one.
Yes, one of them was against Berastegui and the venue was correct as well.
It was in 1998 and not in 1997.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1

Last edited by Action Jackson : 03-27-2004 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:56 PM   #12
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Albert Portas, semis of Palermo 2001 when he went on to win the title against Nalbandian. No, of course I didn't look it up...

*The antiquated slowness of my computer means that my edit is too late and my mistake has already been pointed out, I'm sure.*

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Last edited by Sjengster : 03-27-2004 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:00 PM   #13
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster
Albert Portas, semis of Palermo 2001 when Nalbandian went on to win the title. No, of course I didn't look it up...
Normally I would say you cheated and maybe you did to cover your tracks though there was only one thing wrong with that theory.

Yes, Albert Portas was the other victim, but Felix went on to win that title beating Nalbandian in the final and not the other way around. This incidentally was the first tournament I saw Nalbandian actually play on TV, for the first time.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-27-2004, 05:02 PM   #14
country flag Sjengster

Oh, it hasn't. Never mind, that was a pointless addition to my post, but the first version contained a rather stupid mistake... I'll stop talking to myself now.

Old 03-27-2004, 05:03 PM   #15
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

We only have one part of question 2 to get correct and then all the questions have been answered.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1