Standing on the Baseline this Spring (Spring indoor/HC thread!)!! - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-11-2007, 12:17 AM   #16
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Standing on the Baseline this Spring (Spring indoor/HC thread!)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blosson View Post
Tangy, where did you get those characters? They look like the ones used in the BBC promos.
You should know, it's from Purple and Brown

Say, what's with Britain's obsession with cute shapeless blobby things like Bloo, and now Purple and Brown?

When are you bringing Bloo back? I miss that cute little condom thingy.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #17
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Standing on the Baseline this Spring (Spring indoor/HC thread!)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's annoying how the media acts as if Andy's the only one who can't beat Roger. Nobody's beating Roger. And I think Rafa's days of dominating Roger will be over soon, too.

Besides, after 2 years of watching Andy struggle against C-players he should have been wiping off the court, I'm happy to see Andy beating the players he *should* be beating, and with relative ease. I'm looking forward to seeing Andy's new confidence and game on display at the SAP Open.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_5206230
Quote:
Next barometer for new Roddick? SAP Can Andy still be dandy?
Still no match for Federer, S.J. event may give answers vs. others

By Darren Sabedra, MEDIANEWS STAFF
02/11/2007

SAN JOSE — Shortly before last month's Australian Open, Andy Roddick was assessing his chances of beating the big bully of the men's tennis tour, Roger Federer.

"There's still a long way to go," Roddick said, "but I'm a lot more optimistic."

Roddick didn't come close to conquering Mount Federer in Australia. In fact, the 6-4, 6-0, 6-2 outcome was worse than expected.

But as Roddick, 24, returns to San Jose this week for the SAP Open, two questions loom: Might the Federer debacle ruin Roddick's year? Or will the United States' top-ranked player keep building on the progress he has made since tennis legend Jimmy Connors started coaching him last summer?

The answers should begin to emerge when Roddick steps on the court at HP Pavilion. His opening-round match Wednesday will be his first on the ATP Tour since Federer crushed him in that Australian Open semifinal Jan.26.

"I don't think it's back to the drawing board for Andy at all," said Jim Courier, who was ranked No1 in the early 1990s. "Andy didn't play his best tennis. Roger played incredibly well. It would be way too soon for Andy to panic based on one match."

Pete Sampras isn't so sure about that. Like others, Sampras said he thought Roddick was on the verge of beating Federer after relatively close losses at the U.S. Open and the year-ending Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai.

But now Sampras suspects Roddick might have taken a step back.

"I think Roger wanted to set the record straight that he is clearly the best player," said Sampras, who won a record 14 Grand Slam tournaments.

"Roddick does have a big game, but he seems uncomfortable playing Roger. They play similar games :retard: , but Roger is that much better at it. Roger has that extra gear to impose his will. Roddick really doesn't."

That said, Roddick has played better under Connors' tutelage. He is coming to the net more. He uses his backhand with more power and precision. And, except for when he plays Federer, he is winning again.

In two Grand Slam tournaments with Connors on his side — last year's U.S. Open and this year's Australian Open — Roddick has reached a final and a semifinal. In the four Grand Slam events before Connors arrived, Roddick failed to advance beyond the round of 16 and lost in the first round twice.

Not surprisingly, Roddick said of Connors, "It's just great having a mentor and adviser who has been there before, who kind of gets what you're going through a little bit."

Connors, 54, hooked up with Roddick last July in Los Angeles. Soon thereafter, Connors, who spent a record five consecutive years at No.1 from 1974-78, was in Roddick's hometown of Austin, working with his pupil.

The week in Texas had immediate results. Roddick won his next tournament, in Cincinnati. It was his first title in nearly a year and set the wheels in motion for a run at the U.S. Open.

"I'm proud of him," Connors told the New York Times during the Open. "The way he's playing and the way he listens and the way he goes about his practicing, you don't find someone who's had his success to be willing to continue to do that."

But for everything Roddick has achieved in the sport, he has won only one Grand Slam tournament (the 2003 U.S. Open) and is 1-13 against Federer.

It's anyone's guess if Connors — who shares coaching duties with Roddick's brother, John — can do anything about either. If not for Federer, Roddick might have won the past two Grand Slam events. Instead, Roddick is still searching for answers.

Connors was unavailable for comment for this story. But, after Roddick's loss to Federer at last year's U.S. Open, he told the Times, "I'm going to give him a game, no matter who he plays. This is not building a game from the ground up. This is tinkering here and tinkering there to give him the opportunity to beat Roger Federer."

During his playing days, Connors was as feisty as anyone. He won eight Grand Slam tournaments, including five U.S. Opens. In 1991, Roddick was in the stands when Connors made his legendary last stand, a dramatic run to the U.S. Open semifinals at age 39.

Rekindling the stories must be great, right? Well, if they are, Roddick wouldn't know.

"I don't remember one time where he's been talking about his matches, what he did," Roddick said. "That's probably the part that's surprised me the most. I ask him a lot of questions about it. (But) he kind of focuses on what I have to do."

So, what are the workouts like? Extremely vocal?

"It's weird," Roddick said, "because he's not as loud and boisterous as you all might think. He's pretty demure. Very straightforward, very involved with the whole process."

Connors doesn't travel with Roddick to every tournament, so it's unclear if he will be in attendance this week. It also was uncertain if Connors would make it to Australia last month because his mother, the woman credited for making him a champion, had just died. But Connors was there, in time for Roddick to outlast Marat Safin in the third round.

"For him to be here in the flesh, we're really happy," Roddick said at the time.

Time will tell if Connors, Roddick's fourth coach since 2004, is the man to lead him to consistent greatness. Because in today's tennis, consistent greatness means only one thing: finding the key to beat Roger Federer.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 02-12-2007, 06:06 AM   #18
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

This is the first time I've heard that the court is 'fast', the last few years its been medium or even slow, depending who you ask. If it really is 'fast' it could be good for Andy. We'll see if it's mentioned in the paper after tomorrow's matches.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8

Last edited by Fee : 02-14-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:08 AM   #19
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. I remember last year watching some of the QFs and thinking that it was playing even slower than I had remembered in years' past.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #20
country flag Sofyaxo

Sofyaxo has a reputation beyond reputeSofyaxo has a reputation beyond reputeSofyaxo has a reputation beyond reputeSofyaxo has a reputation beyond reputeSofyaxo has a reputation beyond reputeSofyaxo has a reputation beyond reputeSofyaxo has a reputation beyond reputeSofyaxo has a reputation beyond reputeSofyaxo has a reputation beyond reputeSofyaxo has a reputation beyond reputeSofyaxo has a reputation beyond repute

I remember thinking the same thing Deb. Maybe they got it a little faster from last year.
Sofyaxo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #21
country flag Caren

Caren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond repute

I ACTUALLY GET THIS TOURNAMENT

Though not until friday which sucks
Caren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #22
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

knight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond repute

At least you get some of it
Old 02-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #23
country flag kaylee

kaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond repute

yeah exactly I am reduced to live score AGAIN grrrrr I have campaigned my cable company to get the tennis channel but do we have it noooo BUT we do get the golf channel what is with that?
kaylee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:54 PM   #24
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

knight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond repute

I call Comcast all the time, and about a month ago the girl there told me that they had TTC in test markets and it's doing well. And it should be out to everyone in March. I told her I need it by RG or I'm switching to the Dish network
Old 02-12-2007, 07:55 PM   #25
Last dance, Andy

To help Andy remember to "Stand on the Baseline" as per thread title, we simply must include idolwatcher's brilliant photo

Of course, *crawling around the baseline* could also work. Maybe.

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 02-12-2007, 08:19 PM   #26
country flag kaylee

kaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond repute

hahahahahahaha *falls off chair* OMG that is hilarious hmmmmm *brings interesting thoughts to one's mind*
kaylee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #27
country flag jeahhh!
Madness is genius

Location: Back with the sisterhood, joining forces for the AO
jeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond repute

and I literally just did that I now have tea all over my laptop
jeahhh! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:23 PM   #28
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that leash was a whip before I scrolled all the way down.

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:42 PM   #29
Last dance, Andy

The SAP is going to interesting this year with so many Americans showing up, Andy, Sam!, James, Mardy!, Robert K., along with AndMy, and now...Marat! Safin fans better head on out to see him at SAP because it's unlikely he'll come back.

No Tommy or Lleyton this year though.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...s/16680176.htm
Quote:
Safin a new attraction for SAP Open
The Russian's looks and volatility, along with his game, were key factors in why he was so heavily pursued by organizers

By Darren Sabedra
MEDIANEWS STAFF

SAN JOSE - The SAP Open had tried for years to lure Marat Safin to San Jose, not just because when he's on, he can play tennis like few can. The San Jose tournament also wanted the Russian star because, well, how shall we put this?

Safin is "kind of nuts," according to tournament director Bill Rapp.

"That's where he and I have something in common, because I am a little crazy myself at times," Rapp said. "As much as (Pete) Sampras could wow people with his stroke, he was very vanilla. When you see Safin breaking rackets over the top of his head and screaming at the top of his lungs, that's what people love to see."

More than six years removed from his eyebrow-raising victory over Sampras in the 2000 U.S. Open final, Safin will make his San Jose debut Tuesday night at HP Pavilion with an opening-round match against American wild card Scott Oudsema.

For Rapp, Safin's appearance will be the culmination of a lengthy recruitment. "I have had my eye on him since he turned pro," Rapp said.

So, what took so long?

Like most European stars, Safin, who turned pro in 1997, had preferred to play closer to home at this time of year, waiting usually until shortly before Indian Wells in March to cross the Atlantic.

But this year, Safin said, "I want to be doing something else rather than playing in Europe. I haven't won a tournament for a long time, and I'm looking forward to doing it there."

Of course, in the post-Andre Agassi era of the SAP Open, it helped that Rapp had more appearance-fee dollars to throw Safin's way. It's unclear how much Safin will receive. But Rapp said he collaborated with the tournament director in Las Vegas -- the ATP Tour moves there a week after San Jose -- to pull funds together to bring Safin to both events.

Why so much effort for a player who has won only one Grand Slam tournament since his breakthrough against Sampras and is ranked 24th in the world?

Because of all the players on tour, Safin, 27, might be the most unpredictable. He is capable of winning an event or losing in the first round, capable of keeping his cool or blowing up, capable of saying the right things or something outlandish.

Part of the attraction, Rapp said, is the 6-foot-4 Safin is a "good-looking guy. So he'll appeal to the ladies. (But) also he'll appeal to the guys, because he's a man's man."

Safin's a noted playboy who acknowledges that he doesn't take tennis as seriously as rivals such as Rafael Nadal do.

If he did?

"I would quit, because I would get bored," Safin told the Sydney (Australia) Morning Herald last month. "I don't think I would like to have the life of Nadal, and Nadal maybe doesn't like my lifestyle.

"I would definitely not change my lifestyle for anything, even to be No. 1 in the world for many years. I just want to live like a normal person. I don't want to be as -- how you call it? -- tunnel vision. It's not me."

Asked about that quote a few weeks later, Safin said, "Of course, I want to be No. 1 in the world. But I want to live and enjoy my life."

Still, Safin has shown he can beat anyone, including Roger Federer. Safin won a classic five-setter against the world's No. 1 player in the semifinals of the 2005 Australian Open, then defeated Lleyton Hewitt in the final.

Last year, Safin was slowed by injury. But the year ended on a good note as he helped lead Russia to a Davis Cup title in December.

Safin opened this year with a rain-interrupted, five-set loss to Andy Roddick in the third round of the Australian Open. That match had Safin fuming because he thought the court was too slick when play resumed. He also had some calls go against him.

Safin called it a "very difficult" experience. But, he added, "I'm playing very well. I think I'll have my chance to come back."

Perhaps he will turn things around this week. Safin, seeded fourth, could play No. 2 seed James Blake in Saturday's semifinals and No. 1 seed Roddick in Sunday's final.

"It's going to be very interesting," Safin said.

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 02-13-2007, 12:38 AM   #30
country flag 2moretogo

2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute2moretogo has a reputation beyond repute

Bwah.. @ that picture.

Oh Rapp is a little crazy? This is one time I wish I lived on the West Coast.
2moretogo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote