Some Forehand Troubles - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-07-2007, 01:56 AM   #1
country flag XeroBlade

XeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond repute
Default Some Forehand Troubles

As of late, my forehand hasn't really been on target. The last time it was the way I wanted it was back in October/November. Anyway, I think I ought to say more about my forehand before I give the problem. My forehand's my biggest shot in my game (I'm a junior, btw). I have a semi-western grip, and I hit my forehand with lots of foreward momentum mixed in with medium topspin. I take a pretty big loop for preperation, but not as big as Nadal's (probably a bit smaller). Anyway, as of late, I've been hitting my forehand so much better standing classic (closed) stance, and it the shot comes out just the way I like it. However, I try this with an open stance, and it just doesn't feel right. I came to either one of two conclusions: 1) I lean my body weight back too much, which results probably results in my head leaning back. 2) I drop my racket head too low.

I think one is fixable, but two...I dunno, will it screw up my strokes? And if neither of my conclusions are right, do any of you have any suggestions to fix up forehand?

Thanks!
XeroBlade is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #2
country flag tennisplayer89

tennisplayer89 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some Forehand Troubles

To really make a proper diagnosis, I would need to actually see your forehand, but based on your information I would say the problem is easily fixible. You said that you have problems with your open stance forehand. Unless you are running and planning on throwing up a defensive shot, I wouldn't recommend leaning back. Leaning back will cause you to mishit by hitting the bottom edge of the racket head and will pop the ball up in the air. You don't need to drop your head too much; it just needs to be below the ball so you can get some spin from the upward motion. You need to make sure that you are your bending your knees and springing up and forward through the shot. Make sure your shoulders are turned so you can use your abdominals to help strengthen the shot. Not really sure what your problem is but I hope a few these tips are helpful.

Last edited by tennisplayer89 : 01-08-2007 at 12:33 AM. Reason: made it a little shorter
tennisplayer89 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:12 AM   #3
country flag XeroBlade

XeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond reputeXeroBlade has a reputation beyond repute

After awhile, I figured out that I kinda dropped my left arm instead of pulling it back, not allowing my whole body to follow through, causing me to lean back and not get my body weight behind my shot.

But thanks though.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:14 AM   #4
country flag XeroBlade

Interestingly enough, I've ran into yet another problem. It seems that I pop my head up before contact with the ball a lot. Are there any good tips/strategies to prevent this from happening?