Can Roddick Win A Major Clay Title Within 2 Years? If so, which one? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Can Roddick Win A Major Clay Title Within 2 Years? If so, which one?

Yes, he can prove the doubters wrong 48 26.09%
No chance at all 116 63.04%
He will win Monte Carlo 6 3.26%
Win in Rome 16 8.70%
Win Hamburg 4 2.17%
Win the French Open 11 5.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2004, 03:53 AM   #1
country flag rassklovn

rassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to behold
Default Can Roddick Win A Major Clay Title Within 2 Years? If so, which one?

Does Roddick have a realistic chance of winning a major claycourt title, within 2 years? If, so which one would it be?

Yes, I have been one of Duckboy's big critics when it comes to his playing abilities outside of North America and especially on the clay. I don't think he will as he doesn't have the patience, tactical nous and he struggles badly with the movement on clay.

I am aware that he has won clay titles before though apart from St Pölten where it was a very ordinary field, the rest have been in the USA where the overall player depth of these tournaments has been lower than the ones in Europe.

Which title?

Monte Carlo
Rome
Hamburg
French Open
Barcelona ( though he will never play there)
rassklovn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2004, 03:58 AM   #2
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can Roddick Win A Major Clay Title Within 2 Years? If so, which one?

I think if Duckboy is on, has the right plan against the right opponents, he could win a Masters, but I don't think it will be in the next two seasons. I have a sinking feeling he's going out 1st rd again at the FO-- I think he's waterleveled with Gilbert.
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 04:04 AM   #3
hedgehog

hedgehog will become famous soon enoughhedgehog will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Can Roddick Win A Major Clay Title Within 2 Years? If so, which one?

If he joins an art college and takes up clay modelling yes...people will always go mad for jugs and pots.. lol as far as tennis goes no...its hard courts and grass for mr roddick and silverware.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:15 AM   #4
country flag TennisLurker

TennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond repute

Rome has the fastest clay, maybe the conditions will be particularly fast in the future like in 1994 when Sampras, Becker and Navratilova reached the finals.
That could benefit Roddick.

Kitzbuhel is also quite important and there the clay is quite fast because of the altitude.

Good luck to:

Gaudio, Murray, Florian Mayer, Chela, Nalbandian, Radek Stepanek, Volandri, Youzhny and Verdasco.

NICOLAS ALMAGRO IS AN EXOTIC BEAUTY
TennisLurker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 04:26 AM   #5
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond repute

well i wanna see him perform on clay this year. We won't know how he'll play on clay this year with his new game. I mean it's not totally new, but he's become more patient, hits far less errors than he used to, and has improved his return/backhand. after this year's clay season, then we can sort of judge. I believe that he can win a TMS on clay, why not? crazier things have happened before, and at much bigger events

Havok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 04:28 AM   #6
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

He has no chance because the top 15 clay guys will get him. Andy's power game doesn't work and he won't get his winners on the clay. He will never develop the patience of defensive skills to win and as time goes on the great clay courters will only get better and better. I think at some point he will not even bother playing the majority of the clay masters. He is already skipping Carlo this year.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 04:31 AM   #7
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond repute

Roddick won't skip the majority of the clay TMS events no matter how crappy he is and your precious Federer has skipped Monte Carlo as well, he might as well skipp 'em all no?

Old 03-25-2004, 04:46 AM   #8
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Roger skipped Carlo last year due to the flu. Carlo was never on Andy's schedule this year.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:51 AM   #9
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

i know Monte Carlo wasn't on Andy's schedule this year i think I would know my own fave's schedule :retard: the point I was making was your remarks on him skipping the majority of clay TMS events was dumb, and that no top player would do that nowadays

Old 03-25-2004, 04:58 AM   #10
country flag Dirk

Agassi has been skipping Carlo and Hamburg for years. I think he usually plays Rome. Hell this year will be the first time he doesn't play any clay masters till RG. He is 34 so I guess playing on clay is in his blood so maybe he doesn't need tournament play. Maybe I jumped to conclusions about Andy skipping the masters on clay, Andy can make the qrts and maybe semis here and there on the clay masters. Andy just needs to develop other things besides power to win much more on clay. That likely won't happen since he will have the change the face of his game just for that surface. Naldo just be happy Andy has a much better chance of making the 2nd week at RG year in and year out than Paradorn. It could be worse so...
Old 03-25-2004, 05:08 AM   #11
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

In 2 years, I have to vote no chance at all!

There are so many good clay court players around for him to get a good draw.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 05:19 AM   #12
country flag CooCooCachoo
MONSOON season.

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute

I voted for the Hamburg TMS, because this tournament usually has some surprises and doesn't show the best claycourt tennis there is. Out of the claycourt TMS and Roland Garros, it seems as if the players are least motivated to play there, giving Roddick the biggest chance there. But he could always win at my local club, if things don't work out.

Bachinger|Brands|Broady|Clezar|Crivoi|Crugnola|Cue vas|Eysseric|Giannessi|Gombos|Granollers
Grigelis|Huta Galung|Ilhan|Korolev|Kudla|Al. Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino
Menendez|Naso|Paire|Peliwo|Polansky|Robert|Smyczek |J. Sousa|Sweeting

CooCooCachoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 05:24 AM   #13
country flag Dirk

Rome is his best chance since its fast. Hamburg is too slow for him. All of the clay courters try their best at all of them since they have a shot to win them all especially Hamburg for the lower claycourter who aren't JC and Coria or Guga or Moya since those guys might have played themselves out and want to rest for RG. Still people like Moya and JC never won Hamburg and Saffy sure the hell wants to win that one since he lost in the finals twice so I don't think Andy has any chance of winning that one. Rome, Carlo, Hamburg, that is the order that Andy could likely win one of them. Though he won't win any of the clay biggies.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:04 AM   #14
country flag Domino

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

No.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:31 AM   #15
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

I think he can. More than likely not but I wouldn't say it's past him to win a masters if things go favorably for him.

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote