footwork problems - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-05-2007, 03:10 AM   #1
country flag lleytonhewitt

lleytonhewitt has a reputation beyond reputelleytonhewitt has a reputation beyond reputelleytonhewitt has a reputation beyond reputelleytonhewitt has a reputation beyond reputelleytonhewitt has a reputation beyond reputelleytonhewitt has a reputation beyond reputelleytonhewitt has a reputation beyond reputelleytonhewitt has a reputation beyond reputelleytonhewitt has a reputation beyond reputelleytonhewitt has a reputation beyond reputelleytonhewitt has a reputation beyond repute
Default footwork problems

Hi when you hit a backhand(i'm right handed) you step forward(final step before impact) with your left foot dont you? and for forehand step forward with your right? am I correct?
lleytonhewitt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
country flag Warneck

Warneck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: footwork problems

You should somewhat shift your body weight towards the net, yes. So it depends on what you mean by "step forward".. Cause if you're constantly moving further and further into the court you will be caught in dead-mans-zone. (The space between net and baseline-position)
Warneck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
country flag tennisismygame

tennisismygame is on a distinguished road

Actually, you need to step forward with you right foot on a backhand and with your left foot on your forehand.
tennisismygame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
country flag FluffyYellowBall

FluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyYellowBall has a reputation beyond repute

yea, opposite of what u said. On the bh especially u should have more of a closed stance
Old 03-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
country flag Goldy

Goldy is on a distinguished road

It really depends whether you are playing open stance or closed stance.

If you are right handed and are playing a FH you will have your right leg outside on the open stance and your left leg across on a closed stance.

On the BH the left leg is outside on the open stance and the right leg is across on the closed stance.

My personal coaching preference is def open on the FH and closed on the BH for short balls with the option of going open on deep balls.

Check out www.powertennistraining.com for footwork drills etc that will make your shots more effective.
Goldy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:51 PM   #6
country flag nepaPRO

nepaPRO is on a distinguished road

in my personal opinion you get much more power out of hitting your forehand with an open stance, the closed stance is equaly good if you are having trouble controling where your shots end up. take nadal for example he has extreme topspin on his forehand and tremendous power, thus you can infer that he hits with an open stance, which he does. don't get me wrong the closed stance is good but again it controls the ball, not the best choice for power.
nepaPRO is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote