Maybe it's because I'm a Hamburger - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-23-2004, 09:47 PM   #1
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Maybe it's because I'm a Hamburger

An adaptation of the popular ditty "Maybe It's Because I'm a Londoner", this should be sung in the crowds to get the atmosphere up and running before the start of each match. It's no worse an idea than grouping kids into factions to support a particular player, complete with banners, like they did last year.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2004, 09:50 PM   #2
country flag joeb_uk

joeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maybe it's because I'm a Hamburger

lol, does hamburger have the same meaning there in germany too?
joeb_uk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 09:53 PM   #3
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Maybe it's because I'm a Hamburger

Well, rather like Frankfurter or Berliner, its real use is to refer to an inhabitant of Hamburg. How did they come up with hamburger to refer to the fast food, anyway? Did the meat come from that region?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Old 03-24-2004, 03:28 AM   #4
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Re: Maybe it's because I'm a Hamburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster
Did the meat come from that region?
the only thing I know about this is that German emigrants to the USA brought the word "Hamburger Steak" to America. Maybe later, somehow someone got the idea to put the meet between two pieces of bread and the fast-food "Hamburger" developped.
But the thesaurus says that the origin of "Hamburger" is not proven and that therer are many different stories about that.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 07:29 PM   #5
country flag Sjengster

Thanks Neely, I never knew that. It's like JFK infamous "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech, which I always understood literally translated as "I am a doughnut", or something to that effect. But then I'm guessing the people knew what he was actually saying...

Old 03-24-2004, 07:58 PM   #6
KarstenBraasch#1

KarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster
Thanks Neely, I never knew that. It's like JFK infamous "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech, which I always understood literally translated as "I am a doughnut", or something to that effect. But then I'm guessing the people knew what he was actually saying...
They knew.

And Hamburgers don't sing.
KarstenBraasch#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 01:09 AM   #7
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Frikadellen, sold in schnell imbissen in Hamburg, are similar to hamburgers only without the bun and you know..... way different but it is ground meat. This is the precurser of the "hamburger" to my understanding.

Also.... my god the two words are NOT pronouced the same. Hamburg and hamburger are not pronounced with the same "a" or "r" or "u" for that matter. It used to make me nutty listening to Pam Shriver with her very flat accent say "Hamburg."

Anyway, the cry of Hamburg is "Hummel Hummel!" I don't think they need a better cheer in the Hansastadt.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 06:47 PM   #8
country flag stephB

stephB has a reputation beyond reputestephB has a reputation beyond reputestephB has a reputation beyond reputestephB has a reputation beyond reputestephB has a reputation beyond reputestephB has a reputation beyond reputestephB has a reputation beyond reputestephB has a reputation beyond reputestephB has a reputation beyond reputestephB has a reputation beyond reputestephB has a reputation beyond repute

isnt it hansEstadt not hansAstadt?
stephB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote