List 'em down: the current unbroken/ unmade records to date - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-30-2007, 04:26 AM   #1
country flag megadeth

megadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default List 'em down: the current unbroken/ unmade records to date

with all the interests surrounding fed breaking all tennis records week in and out, let's review which of the records from the past still stand and whether fed would have a chance to break them or not... (an article in tennis magazine even proposed him to break jimbo's 109 titles)

1. winning all 9 TMS in a career (only andre comes close with 7 out of 9) - doable for fed since he got to the final of MC and rome last year, but he hasn't played paris in 3 yrs, so he would have to put that as a priority too

2. jimbo's 109 titles - i don't think fed would care for this one since he limits the number of tourneys he plays in a year. he would have to win at least 10 titles a year until he's 32 to break it, but that might mean also joining mickey mouse tourneys just to add to the total noh?

3. borg's 5 straight wimbys - he can tie that record this year. and go for the record in '08. very possible

4. laver's grand slam - so he's 1/4 there already. the french would be tricky, if nadal doesn't regain his form even on clay, it's more of a cakewalk now for the #2 clay courter in the world

5. pete's 14 slams - that's in the bag. he can break that earliest in the FO'08

6. andre's career golden slam - if fed wins all slams, the next to add to his collection would be the olympic gold. his best chance to win it would be next year. if he waits until 2012, well, we can't be too sure right since he'll be in his 30's by then.

7. pete's total weeks at #1: 268 - very much in the bag as long as fed remains hungry.

any thoughts to add or records out there worth pursuing that hasn't been mentioned here?
megadeth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 04:40 AM   #2
mishar

mishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: List 'em down: the current unbroken/ unmade records to date

109 titles seems the hardest of those records to break, but it's not at all impossible to envision Fed winning 10 titles every year for the next six years.

Other records:

Pete's record of ending the year at #1 six times in a row. Roger could tie that in 2009 and break it in 2010.

Win streak. I think the record is Borg at 49. To break that, Roger would have to win Dubai, Indian Wells and reach the QF of Miami.
mishar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:49 AM   #3
country flag artlinkletter

artlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishar View Post
Pete's record of ending the year at #1 six times in a row. Roger could tie that in 2009 and break it in 2010.
If only Roger had ended up #1 in '03, instead of 2nd, this one would have been more attainable.
artlinkletter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:50 AM   #4
country flag megadeth

megadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond reputemegadeth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
109 titles seems the hardest of those records to break, but it's not at all impossible to envision Fed winning 10 titles every year for the next six years.

Other records:

Win streak. I think the record is Borg at 49. To break that, Roger would have to win Dubai, Indian Wells and reach the QF of Miami.

oh yea, i can't believe i missed pete's 6 straight years at #1. i believe its vilas who holds that win streak record. and i don't see a problem for fed breaking that streak. he usually does so well in defending titles...
megadeth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
country flag oz_boz

oz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond repute

3 seems most attainable now; 1, 5 and 6 possible but very hard. The other I don't think he'll make - particularly not the Calendar GS and 109 titles.

I don't like hypocrites, but even worse are the ones who think it's OK to be an asshole as long as you are not hypocritical.

Last edited by oz_boz : 01-31-2007 at 09:55 AM.
oz_boz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
TheHawk

TheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond repute

I think Hewitt is the youngest ever world #1, or not?

There's also Rafa's record on clay, still active
TheHawk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:08 PM   #7
country flag Yashirobai

Yashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Other records:

Isn't it Vilas with 46?

Favourite players:

Nadal ~ Fish [Fisho] ~ Ferrero [Juancho] ~ Hewitt [Llautó] ~ Nalbandian

Quote:
Q: Are you going to party tonight?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: Yes. Victories must be celebrated always.
Yashirobai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
country flag buzz

buzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond repute

^^ yes
buzz is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
country flag LK_22

LK_22 has a reputation beyond reputeLK_22 has a reputation beyond reputeLK_22 has a reputation beyond reputeLK_22 has a reputation beyond reputeLK_22 has a reputation beyond reputeLK_22 has a reputation beyond reputeLK_22 has a reputation beyond reputeLK_22 has a reputation beyond reputeLK_22 has a reputation beyond reputeLK_22 has a reputation beyond reputeLK_22 has a reputation beyond repute

I think he can do all of these but No.2 seems unlikely and No.1 is very hard conisdering he has to win all the ones on clay, but I think he's got a shot at it. It's only a matter of time before he breaks 3, 4, 5 and 7

I think Safin might have the youngest No.1 record ever, I think it's very close between him and Hewitt

Last edited by LK_22 : 01-30-2007 at 12:38 PM.
LK_22 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #10
country flag TennisGrandSlam

TennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashirobai View Post
Isn't it Vilas with 46?

Official record is Guillermo Vilas's 46
TennisGrandSlam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #11
country flag lau

lau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond repute

And Vilas´ 16 titles in one year (1977) of course
lau is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:05 PM   #12
mishar

mishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond repute

Why does NYCtennis (in his thread about streaks) have Borg down at 49?

Well, if Vilas the record at 46, Fed need only win 11 more matches. That would mean winning Dubai and Indian Wells. He could break 2 important records that week, as I think around that time he will be surpassing Connors' consecutive weeks at #1.
mishar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:06 PM   #13
country flag TennisGrandSlam

TennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond reputeTennisGrandSlam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lau View Post
And Vilas´ 16 titles in one year (1977) of course

16 titles within one year (including Roland Garros and US Open)

Titles won in 5 continents (1 and only 1)

53 clay winning streak within 1 year

46 any-surface winning streak within 1 year
TennisGrandSlam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:23 PM   #14
country flag Komodo

Komodo has a reputation beyond reputeKomodo has a reputation beyond reputeKomodo has a reputation beyond reputeKomodo has a reputation beyond reputeKomodo has a reputation beyond reputeKomodo has a reputation beyond reputeKomodo has a reputation beyond reputeKomodo has a reputation beyond reputeKomodo has a reputation beyond reputeKomodo has a reputation beyond reputeKomodo has a reputation beyond repute

The 108 tournament wins shouldn't really be a goal considering Connors won so many low key tournaments and Federer almost only participates in top tier tournaments.
I don't think chasing after that one is compatible with conserving your body & winning the big ones in today's game.

Why shouldn't Federer win all 9 TMS? I see no reason whatsoever for that not to happen, once he jumps over the Nadal hurdle, which I believe will happen.

The 268 weeks at #1 is also very possible, unless an injury stops Federer.
Komodo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #15
country flag Yashirobai

Yashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond reputeYashirobai has a reputation beyond repute

And what about this record - will he ever break it?

WINNING AT LEAST 30 MATCHES ON BOTH CLAY AND HARD IN ONE SEASON:

Last men to do that:

2003: Juan Carlos Ferrero
1980: Ivan Lendl

Favourite players:

Nadal ~ Fish [Fisho] ~ Ferrero [Juancho] ~ Hewitt [Llautó] ~ Nalbandian

Quote:
Q: Are you going to party tonight?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: Yes. Victories must be celebrated always.
Yashirobai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote