Journalism at its worst: Five reasons why Federer is Rubbish - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-29-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
country flag ToanNguyen

ToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond reputeToanNguyen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Journalism at its worst: Five reasons why Federer is Rubbish

Who is this guy? Is he really serious? All of his reasons are totally twisted and not making any sense at all. Should be ashame of himself.

Five reasons why Roger Federer is rubbish
Tim Colebatch
January 30, 2007

OK, BUT seriously: sure, he hits the most brilliant shots we've ever seen, hardly makes a mistake, rarely loses and plays with a divine grace come from Heaven. But amid all the adulation, there are some flaws in the Roger Federer record that tell other players not to lose hope.

1. Nadal keeps beating him.
Has there ever been a time when the world No. 2 has so dominated his matches with the world No. 1? Federer has won only three of the nine matches between the two, Nadal six. Sure, four of them were on clay, but even on hardcourts, their matches have split 2-2. For Roger to become the Supreme Being, he has to find a way of forcing Rafa to kneel.
2. He has never won a big one on clay.
OK, last year, he was the best player on claycourts after Nadal. But during his three years as No. 1, he also has lost on clay to Albert Costa in Rome, Gustavo Kuerten in Paris and Richard Gasquet at Monte Carlo. In Rome last year, he barely made it past David Nalbandian and little-known Spaniard Nicolas Almagro. If you're Federer's opponent, where there's clay, there's hope.
3. Tie-breakers can't keep breaking his way.
Yes, Federer is special, but this is ridiculous. When he took the tie-breaker in the first set against Fernando Gonzalez on Sunday night, he won his 14th tie-breaker in a row. He has not lost one since he played James Blake in the US Open. Surely even Federer can't keep that up. When he starts losing tie-breakers, he could start losing matches.
4. Few beat him, but many come close.
Federer lost only five matches last year, four to Nadal and one to Andy Murray, but he came close to losing a dozen or so other matches. He is particularly vulnerable against unusual stylists who take the net away from him. The tiny Belgian Olivier Rochus almost toppled him twice last year, and it was only in the final-set tie-breaker that he put away Nalbandian in Rome, veteran Japanese samurai Takao Suzuki in Tokyo and Thailand's Paradorn Srichaphan in Federer's home town, Basle.
5. He can't play over five sets.
OK, the problem for Federer's opponents is usually the first three sets, but the few times he has been pushed to five sets, he's had trouble. Federer has lost six of the past eight five-set matches he has played, and even since becoming No. 1, his record is only 2-2. We all remember Hewitt coming back from two sets down to beat him in the Davis Cup in 2003, and Safin's miraculous win at the 2005 Australian Open, but Nalbandian did the same at the 2005 Masters. Just stick with him for the first four sets, guys, and history will be on your side.
ToanNguyen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Journalism at its worst: Five reasons why Federer is Rubbish

This guy is an idiot. He mentions matches where Federer "almost lost" as if he had really lost 'em. Joker.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
Rosa Luxembourg

Rosa Luxembourg has a reputation beyond reputeRosa Luxembourg has a reputation beyond reputeRosa Luxembourg has a reputation beyond reputeRosa Luxembourg has a reputation beyond reputeRosa Luxembourg has a reputation beyond reputeRosa Luxembourg has a reputation beyond reputeRosa Luxembourg has a reputation beyond reputeRosa Luxembourg has a reputation beyond reputeRosa Luxembourg has a reputation beyond reputeRosa Luxembourg has a reputation beyond reputeRosa Luxembourg has a reputation beyond repute

Where was this crap published? Any email provided to respond?
Rosa Luxembourg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
country flag thesupreme

thesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing you can do (and this rings true for life itself) is to rise above such obvious nonsense and move on...unless the journalist was joking of course. If not, then we all undoubtedly have shots at being journalist ourselves...

I'm new to the board btw, hi everyone! been watching tennis most of my life!
thesupreme is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
country flag Shabazza

Shabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond reputeShabazza has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds more like a private blogger, who has some serious problems with reality, not a journalist.
But apparently everyone can call themselves "journalist" nowadays. Ridicoulus.
wipe away your sorrow with no traces."

All the best to the members of the FedererExpress
Shabazza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #6
Experimentee

Experimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like this article was written to provide some hope to people who think Federer's dominance is boring, by stating that he is beatable. Bit harsh to call him "rubbish" though, I suspect that may be a joke.
Experimentee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
country flag BD006

BD006 has a reputation beyond reputeBD006 has a reputation beyond reputeBD006 has a reputation beyond reputeBD006 has a reputation beyond reputeBD006 has a reputation beyond reputeBD006 has a reputation beyond reputeBD006 has a reputation beyond reputeBD006 has a reputation beyond reputeBD006 has a reputation beyond reputeBD006 has a reputation beyond reputeBD006 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, can points #3 and #4 be any weaker.
Talk about nitpicking.
BD006 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #8
country flag yakuzaninja

yakuzaninja has a reputation beyond reputeyakuzaninja has a reputation beyond reputeyakuzaninja has a reputation beyond reputeyakuzaninja has a reputation beyond reputeyakuzaninja has a reputation beyond reputeyakuzaninja has a reputation beyond reputeyakuzaninja has a reputation beyond reputeyakuzaninja has a reputation beyond reputeyakuzaninja has a reputation beyond reputeyakuzaninja has a reputation beyond reputeyakuzaninja has a reputation beyond repute

yakuzaninja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Is that guy SERIOUS??? Can't believe it if he is.

"Nadal Keeps Beating Him" - yeah, sure...
Didn't even bother to try and read the rest of this piece of tripe.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:17 PM   #10
country flag MilMilCho

MilMilCho has a reputation beyond reputeMilMilCho has a reputation beyond reputeMilMilCho has a reputation beyond reputeMilMilCho has a reputation beyond reputeMilMilCho has a reputation beyond reputeMilMilCho has a reputation beyond reputeMilMilCho has a reputation beyond reputeMilMilCho has a reputation beyond reputeMilMilCho has a reputation beyond reputeMilMilCho has a reputation beyond reputeMilMilCho has a reputation beyond repute

If he didnt write it, possibly nobody would post it and feel bothered to reply it.
MilMilCho is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #11
country flag Iván
Banned!

Iván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond repute

Funniest thing ive read all year.....

Paradorn was VERY CLOSE I MUST ADMIT.
Iván is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:24 PM   #12
country flag Peacemaster

Peacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond repute

I could almost hear The Doors playing in the background...

I bet this dude can "see" music.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:30 PM   #13
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

This was meant to be a joke, I think.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:32 PM   #14
country flag Joyce_23

Joyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this guy was being sarcastic here to be honest. I had to laugh after reading it, I don't think it was meant as a 'serious' article. At least I hope it wasn't...If it was then the journalist needs to find another job.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid it will never truely begin.
Joyce_23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:38 PM   #15
country flag DavidW

DavidW has a reputation beyond reputeDavidW has a reputation beyond reputeDavidW has a reputation beyond reputeDavidW has a reputation beyond reputeDavidW has a reputation beyond reputeDavidW has a reputation beyond reputeDavidW has a reputation beyond reputeDavidW has a reputation beyond reputeDavidW has a reputation beyond reputeDavidW has a reputation beyond reputeDavidW has a reputation beyond repute

It has to be a joke, right?

If not, than this guy is pretty much no more than an attention seeker.