Can a player have a better backhand than forehand? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can a player have a better backhand than forehand?

Is it possible? To continue my discussion from another thread I thought it made sense to create another thread related to the topic.

A certain forum member believes no player in open era history possessed a better backhand than forehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
In 2006 Blake and Andreev played a final in Australia, early season, Blake won in a third set TB. Igor has always been all about his FH and some serving, nothing else. And he nearly beats him. I believe it's pretty solid as an argument.
Despite Igor's FH has always been better than Blake's, for me there is no doubt ever.

Agassi - as you say the guy couldn't move, made a couple Qfs that year, but except the legs missing he had everything else on, so you just can't say Blake's FH was better.

Davydenko ended the year higher ranked than Blake (3rd vs 4th)...his FH was indeed better than James' back then, the BH's similar, James' serve was better, so they were almost tied overall quality wise.

Nalbandian - i accept my mistake on this one, now that i think of it, it's rather questionable, yet Bandy was a top player back then, ofc based on his BH quality more than the FH.

Safin perhaps i'm wrong again, i don't remember 2006 that specifically and you being a fan of the guy most probably could tell better.

But Gonzo (he's among the top 5 FHs of all time, we're not speaking years here, it's uncomparable), Verdasco (ended the year 26th, the worst choker of all time at that moment, but 26th on one exceptional shot only - his FH!), Soderling (was just coming up, 3Qfs, 3Sfs, 1F, based on one and only one shot at the time, just as Verdasco, his signature FH) you can't just dismiss like that.

These guys made careers or breakthroughs at that time based on their unique special FHs, while James' peak has been based on much more qualities, like his great footwork, great FH AND BH, serve.

Anyways, i won't enter the BHs compaisons, coz really with Kiefer in 2006, Berdych, half South America, etc. against the #4 at the time with better BHs...it would be too long, it will be again useless, as you can't prove to me that fish soup is better than chicken soup, you just can't, you know what i mean.

I believe the misunderstanding comes rather from ppl comparing his FH to his BH is real terms, which is laughable ofc, as with a handful of exceptions, Open Era wise there are no male players with a better BH than FH.

We even had a thread about it and i believe it was proves biomechanically, biochemically, nuclear physically, mentally and in any possible way on Earth.

So there's never been a question about that.
Andreev was useless on fast surfaces and ok on slow surfaces but not really a standout player in either regard. His forehand required time and even then the shot was nowhere near as penetrating as the Blake bullet.

Davydenko's backhand was miles ahead of Blake's in 2006, yet you think they're level in that regard. Says it all.

How you can even compare Soderling and Verdasco's forehand in 2006 to Blake's I will never know. I like how you ignore the fact that Verdasco and particularly Soderling had pretty good serves too.

By your logic of the bolded, that means that Carlos Moya who was barely inside the world's top 20 at some point in 2002 did not possess a better forehand than Tommy Haas who almost topped the rankings, when evidently Moya's forehand was way better.

I've studied biomechanics and what you're saying about biomechanics is utter nonsense. It doesn't even make any sense, I don't even know where to begin.

No player has had a better backhand than forehand in open era? Let me give you only 3 examples. Marat Safin: Generated more power and more consistency without even the slightest doubt. Richard Gasquet: As like Safin but his forehand is a complete disaster which makes it easier. Gaston Gaudio: Way more consistent, could direct the ball much better off that wing, could flatten the ball out much better and thus more power.

Oppose these players.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
country flag janko05

janko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can a player have a better backhand than forehand?

I just replied in the other thread and now it's gone
janko05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

For sure, yes. A forehand will hit more winners usually, but a backhand can be the better shot. Nobody thinks Paire has a better FH than BH. I think Djokovic, Murray, and Agassi all have/had better BHs than FHs.
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is possible, but I'd say 90% of players on tour have a better forehand than backhand.

An interesting question is, if there was a mid-court ball that was just sitting up, with the player having enough time to adjust and hit either a forehand or a backhand, would they always go for the forehand?
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Not if you want to be a great player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prince View Post
Yes, it is possible, but I'd say 90% of players on tour have a better forehand than backhand.

An interesting question is, if there was a mid-court ball that was just sitting up, with the player having enough time to adjust and hit either a forehand or a backhand, would they always go for the forehand?
I've seen players run around a forehand to hit a backhand this year. Paire or Gulbis I think.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
country flag End da Game

End da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond repute

murray and gasguet springs to mind
End da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

yes

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #8

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Not if you want to be a great player.
Not really. Otherwise you are saying Agassi, Safin, Nalbandian, Djokovic, Edberg, and Murray weren't/aren't great players.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
country flag Uncle Latso

Uncle Latso has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Latso has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Latso has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Latso has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Latso has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Latso has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Latso has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Latso has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Latso has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Latso has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Latso has a reputation beyond repute

here, to save you guys some time - http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...=biomechanical

Burrow is excused coz he's a smart poster, some others, which i won't quote can hide in their corner in shame.

p.s. will start reading and answering your post Burrow, gimme a minute
Uncle Latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

In fact, on the women's tour, it's fairly common.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #11
country flag svwfands

svwfands has a reputation beyond reputesvwfands has a reputation beyond reputesvwfands has a reputation beyond reputesvwfands has a reputation beyond reputesvwfands has a reputation beyond reputesvwfands has a reputation beyond reputesvwfands has a reputation beyond reputesvwfands has a reputation beyond reputesvwfands has a reputation beyond reputesvwfands has a reputation beyond reputesvwfands has a reputation beyond repute

Benneteau's BH is way more consistent than his FH and he creats much power with his BH
The 23 real GOATs Tommy Haas - Philipp Petzschner - Guillermo Garcia-Lopez - Ernests Gulbis - Lleyton Hewitt - Albert Montanes - Mikhail Kukushkin - Pablo Andujar - Fabio Fognini - Benoit Paire - Jürgen Melzer - Tobias Kamke - Philipp Kohlschreiber - Florian Mayer - Leonardo Mayer - Alexandr Dologopolov - Sergiy Stakhovsky - Igor Sijsling - Jarkko Nieminen - Simone Bolelli - Santiago Giraldo - Martin Klizan - Adrian Mannarino
svwfands is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Johansen View Post
Not really. Otherwise you are saying Agassi, Safin, Nalbandian, Djokovic, Edberg, and Murray weren't/aren't great players.
Their forehands are better than their backhands. Not in comparison to the tour, but if they have a choice they'd hit a forehand to finish off a ball.

(not sure about edberg though, never seen him play)

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
country flag Sapeod
Clayray in the house!

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Murray's backhand is far better, although his forehand has improved. Djokovic's is better, but only slightly since he's very solid off both sides.

Gasquet's backhand is so much better than his forehand, which is mediocre at best.
Wawrinka's too, in my opinion.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 6 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 4 finals, 9 semi-finals, 18 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $36,317,011 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 506-156...
TITLES: 32 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Their forehands are better than their backhands. Not in comparison to the tour, but if they have a choice they'd hit a forehand to finish off a ball.

(not sure about edberg though, never seen him play)
Most guys finish short balls with their forehands, but it doesn't mean it's a stronger wing. Nobody thinks Safin's FH was better than his BH.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #15
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
here, to save you guys some time - http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...=biomechanical

Burrow is excused coz he's a smart poster, some others, which i won't quote can hide in their corner in shame.

p.s. will start reading and answering your post Burrow, gimme a minute
The American boy with the Murray avatar makes a decent analysis for a layman but he's talking about the inside out shot, he's not talking about the actual backhand in general. He's explaining why it's more natural to hit an inside out forehand than backhand.

Absolutely irrespective of biomechanical differences, some players have better backhands than forehands. Just like some players may genuinely enjoy hitting the backhand smash, whilst being one of the most technically awkward shots in tennis.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote