Brydan Klein: Australia's Big Hope - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-09-2009, 03:10 AM   #181
country flag Matchu

Matchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brydan Klein: Australia's Big Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Klein has been suspended for six months by the ATP...and fined more cash...it might be reduced to 4 months if he completes a Racial Sensitivity course.

stupid moron

ATP STATEMENT

Australian player Brydan Klein has been suspended from the ATP World Tour and ATP Challenger Tour tournaments for six months and fined an additional USD10,000 following a racial slur during a qualifying match on June 13, 2009 at the ATP World Tour 250 tournament in Eastbourne, England.

The penalty comes in addition to a EUR10,000 fine he was assessed on site for uttering a racial slur while playing against South African Raven Klaasen.

Under the ATP Code of Conduct, Klein was found to have committed the Player Major Offense, Aggravated Behavior. The incident was deemed to have been “behavior that is flagrant and particularly injurious to the success of a tournament or is singularly egregious.”

The determination said the use of the slur was “repugnant, and is particularly upsetting and entirely unacceptable for this to be used in a sporting event such as the ATP World Tour where equality amongst sportsmen is a predicate to fair competition and, indeed, paramount to the success of the Tour and of the Sport.”

Klein has the option of appealing the penalty or of accepting a reduced penalty option.

If he enrolls in and successfully completes a Racial Sensitivity Training course, which is acceptable to the ATP, within the first four months of the suspension the remaining two months suspension and the additional fine will be waived. The remaining two months of the suspension will be reclassified as a final probationary period, allowing him to return to the Tour.

The penalty is effective from July 20, 2009 unless he appeals the decision.
Wow ATP is serious. I wonder if he will still be able to play future tournaments as they are ITF events. I think the best thing for Brydan would be to complete this course and get the 4 month ban so that he can play the Australian events next year. Man I hope this is the end of Brydan getting banned.
Matchu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 03:25 AM   #182
country flag Lisbeth
SammySammySammy OiOiOi

Lisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond repute

Very silly of him and quite sad. I think he should do the training, not even so much to shorten the sentence but because he would obviously benefit from being taught some sensitivity, even in the heat of the moment!

It's not relevant but I wonder how he even knew the word he used (which I won't repeat here in case it offends anyone). I'd never even heard it. Does he have South African relatives or has he spent time there?
Lisbeth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:27 AM   #183
country flag Audacity

Audacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond repute

Surely Brydan will now realise this behaviour is not acceptable. I hope he goes through the Racial Sensitivity Training course and will be back next year for the Aussie Challenger events.
Audacity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #184
country flag Timbo

Timbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisbeth View Post
It's not relevant but I wonder how he even knew the word he used (which I won't repeat here in case it offends anyone). I'd never even heard it. Does he have South African relatives or has he spent time there?
He's from Perth, where there is a large South African expat community...I'd imagine he probably heard people use the word there but may not have realised what it meant. I've spoken with a few people since this happened who just thought it was a term to describe all South Africans, like we use "Kiwi" to describe New Zealanders...even the term "Saffa" is quite similar. Still, ignorance is no defence. Brydan, just call your opponent a "c*nt" next time like everyone else and don't go fancy.
Timbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #185
country flag Lisbeth
SammySammySammy OiOiOi

Lisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond reputeLisbeth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
He's from Perth, where there is a large South African expat community...I'd imagine he probably heard people use the word there but may not have realised what it meant. I've spoken with a few people since this happened who just thought it was a term to describe all South Africans, like we use "Kiwi" to describe New Zealanders...even the term "Saffa" is quite similar. Still, ignorance is no defence. Brydan, just call your opponent a "c*nt" next time like everyone else and don't go fancy.
Thanks for that explanation - interesting. Actually I asked because I've lived in two different parts of Sydney with huge SA populations and have known many quite well, but maybe the people I know have been through sensitivity training and don't use that word

Completely agree ignorance is no defence. I'm not sure I'd even call someone a Kiwi or Pom in the heat of the moment - an old friend over a convivial drink maybe but not someone I didn't know well that might take it the wrong way Oh well, you live and learn these things.

BTW Brydan, if using the c word instead as Timbo suggests, take a tip from our cricket team and don't specify what colour c, OK?
Lisbeth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:35 AM   #186
country flag Matchu

Matchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond repute

Suprisingly Brydan has only 38 points left to defend this year and will almost definetly finish the year inside the top 250 which is a pretty good result for someone who has not played for half of the year. I wonder if he'll play any of the later Australian future tournaments.

Pressuming he completed the racial sensitivity course he will be unbanned on the 20th of November which makes him able to enter the last future tournament in Perth and then head to Melbourne for the last one before contesting the Wildcard playoff. Im guessing thats what he'll do.

Last edited by Matchu : 08-24-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:47 AM   #187
country flag scotthongkong

scotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond repute

Klein and Matthew Ebden shared Milo Bradley as a coach. They have travelled widely together and Matthew is South African. I would imagine that over time the expletive must have been discussed. Matthew though would never dream about using this word.
scotthongkong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:55 AM   #188
country flag Loko_Lindo

Loko_Lindo has a reputation beyond reputeLoko_Lindo has a reputation beyond reputeLoko_Lindo has a reputation beyond reputeLoko_Lindo has a reputation beyond reputeLoko_Lindo has a reputation beyond reputeLoko_Lindo has a reputation beyond reputeLoko_Lindo has a reputation beyond reputeLoko_Lindo has a reputation beyond reputeLoko_Lindo has a reputation beyond reputeLoko_Lindo has a reputation beyond reputeLoko_Lindo has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if Bryden did the course or not?
Loko_Lindo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:48 AM   #189
country flag Matchu

Quote:
Klein to make tennis comeback in Esperance

Tim Clarke
November 6, 2009

Disgraced WA Davis Cup tennis star Brydan Klein has revealed a ProTour event in Esperance this month will be the venue for his first appearance on a court since his ban for racially abusing a South African opponent at a UK tournament in July.

Originally suspended by the ATP for six months, Klein has since completed a racial sensitivity training course, with the final two months of his suspension reclassified as probationary, allowing him to return to the professional game.

Klein will use the Cliffs Esperance International in his home state to start his sporting rehabilitation, joining a host of Australian and international players, including former world No. 8 Alicia Molik.

“I’m really looking forward to getting back on court and playing again,” Klein said.

“I’m hitting well and I’m really fit at the moment, so I am confident I can go well in the tournament.

“Esperance is a really nice place and it is a great location to hold an event, it will be fantastic to play in front of fans in my home state.”

Klein's massive ban came after he was fined $14,000, the maximum possible under the ATP, for calling opponent Raven Klaasen a "f***ing kaffir" during a tournament in Eastbourne.

Klaasen’s coach Stephan de Kock later accused Klein of spitting in his direction during the match, which Klein eventually won.

Despite issuing a public apology, the ATP found Klein had committed "behaviour that is flagrant and particularly injurious to the success of a tournament or is singularly egregious".

"The determination said the use of the slur was ‘repugnant’, and is particularly upsetting and entirely unacceptable for this to be used in a sporting event such as the ATP World Tour,” the determination said.

The field in Esperance, between November 16 and 22, will also include Molik, who could take on Olivia Rogowska and WA's Jessica Moore.

Molik returned to professional tennis in September after her retirement from the sport 12 months ago.

She hopes by playing on the Australian Pro Tour she can increase her ranking to a sufficient level to compete on the WTA tour again.

Before her retirement, Molik played all four Grand Slams, winning two Grand Slam doubles titles; won the bronze medal for Australia at the Athens Olympics and represented Australia in the Fed Cup and Hopman Cup.
Great to see he is going to finally be playing next week. He has 12 points left to defend this year and three tournament (two in his home state) to gain the 12 points. His ranking currently stands at 208 which is extremely good considering he hasn't played for four months. Brydan says he is fit and hitting well so I guess we should expect a couple of big results in coming weeks.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #190
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! This thread hasn't been touched in a month! Klein is in the qualifying draw for the Australian Open and plays tenth seed Rui Machado first up.
n8 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #191
country flag Hewitt2010
Banned!

Hewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond repute

I really hope he can win atleast the first match in the qualifying but sice he was suspended he hasn't been that great, my guess is he will lose in straight sets, but i would hate to see him lose in straight sets or even lose.

And if he wins he might play Bogomlov Jr who he played in the first round of qualifying in sydney and lost but he is capable of winning against him.

Marinko Marosevic did he get the last wildcard because his not in the qualifying and i thought Ebden had the last one easy but obviously not another stupid mistake by TA if he did.
Hewitt2010 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #192
country flag scotthongkong

scotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond repute

Great to see Marinko and Matt in the main draw. Klein lost in r1 of qualifying which is not surprising
scotthongkong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:18 AM   #193
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Klein loses to Kittipong Wachiramanowong 6-2 1-6 6-4 in the first round of Bernie. As defending champion his ranking is going to take a huge hit; next week he'll find himself at around 350 (as opposed to 245 this week).
n8 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #194
country flag jmf07

jmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch. That's a bit of a drop and it won't end yet.

A bit disappointing he couldn't beat Wachiramanowong considering he had break points midway through the third set and I think he even may have been up a break at the beginning. At least he did better than last time against him.
Baker (USA) - Bedene (SLO) - Bellucci (BRA) - Berta (SWE) - Cuevas (URU) - Domijan (USA) - Ebden (AUS) - Estrella (DOM) - Grigelis (LTU) - Guccione (AUS) - Heliovaara (FIN) - Kavcic (SLO) - King (BAH) - Kontinen (FIN) - Kubler (AUS) - Lajovic (SRB) - Matosevic (AUS) - McGee (IRE) - Millman (AUS) - Mitchell (AUS) - Nielsen (DEN) - Nieminen (FIN) - Paire (FRA) - Udomchoke (THA)
jmf07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #195
country flag Tenys4r

Tenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond reputeTenys4r has a reputation beyond repute

He has a lot of points to defend over the next month.
Tenys4r is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote