Most Prestigious slam - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which slam is most prestigious?

Australian Open 5 1.98%
French Open 30 11.90%
Wimbledon 185 73.41%
US Open 11 4.37%
All are equal 21 8.33%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2004, 01:08 AM   #61
country flag Shy

Shy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond reputeShy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Prestigious slam

I think that Wimbledon is better known outside of Tennis fans than the others. Wimbledon is the most prestigious and follow very closely by the FO. I don't think that players care wich one they win,they just want to win at least one slam.
Shy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2004, 01:13 AM   #62
WyveN
Banned!

WyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Most Prestigious slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Rebecca
And in case you have been unable to read my many posts, this is what I have said: IT DEPENDS ON THE PLAYER. The PLAYER. Not the country. Get it? Ask that question to the people who said that it depends strictly on nationality. There are certain generalizations that can be made about different geographic regions, but that doesnt' mean that all players adhere to them. Duh.
Angelito said:
think all of them are prestigious, but for example the French Open is much more prestigious for Spaniards, Argentines, French, Southamerican in general, and Wimbledon could be considered more prestigious for the rest of the Europeans and maybe Americans.

You responded with "Agreed Angelito".

For someone who has a habit of blaming me on not understanding the Queen, you certainly could make yourself clear.
WyveN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 01:14 AM   #63
country flag toadstool

toadstool is a splendid one to beholdtoadstool is a splendid one to beholdtoadstool is a splendid one to beholdtoadstool is a splendid one to beholdtoadstool is a splendid one to beholdtoadstool is a splendid one to behold

I think wimbledon is best as people think of the hot weather, strawberries, tradition and when bjorn borg won it isnt it?

French open is good but pete sampras never won it so probably Australian open as they all won that and they want to say they won it as well and be remembered.
toadstool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 01:21 AM   #64
WyveN
Banned!

WyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Most Prestigious slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisLurker
And Manolo Santona, the only spanish player who won wimbledon (and he failed to win the french open) has the same opinion as conchita.
He even disliked grass, he invented the saying "grass is for cows" , he ,a wimbledon champion.

Do you have a source for this? I am not saying it is not true but wasn't it a Lendl quote?
Old 03-21-2004, 01:24 AM   #65
country flag TennisLurker

TennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond repute

Wait a second.

Good luck to:

Gaudio, Murray, Florian Mayer, Chela, Nalbandian, Radek Stepanek, Volandri, Youzhny and Verdasco.

NICOLAS ALMAGRO IS AN EXOTIC BEAUTY
TennisLurker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 01:29 AM   #66
country flag TennisLurker

TennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond repute

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=2766679/K=san...000/779996.stm

Santana won wimbledon in 1966

"One of the most familiar refrains at Wimbledon comes when a European or South American player complains, usually after they have lost, about how they hate grass courts.
"Grass is for cows" was coined in the 1960s by Manuel Santana and it has been echoed down the years by the likes of Ivan Lendl and Marcelo Rios among many others bamboozled by the lush lawns of SW19".

Good luck to:

Gaudio, Murray, Florian Mayer, Chela, Nalbandian, Radek Stepanek, Volandri, Youzhny and Verdasco.

NICOLAS ALMAGRO IS AN EXOTIC BEAUTY
TennisLurker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 01:39 AM   #67
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy
I don't think that players care wich one they win,they just want to win at least one slam.
I agree with this statement. It seems like TODAY, now that the AO is sort of up to par with the others and the top players all make the trip Down Under, a slam is a slam is a slam. Yes, some players prefer to win one over another for one of various reasons (home country, preferred surface, etc etc.) but ultimately someone who wins a slam is someone who wins a slam.

How are you defining prestige anyway? How about this for a perspective, hopefully people see what I mean:

Obviously, it's hard to think of two players where this would be the case. but if you have a player who won one Wimbledon and not a whole lot else and players who won each of the other three and not much else, would the player with one Wimbledon be remembered as or considered a better player than the players who won the other three, assuming a perfect world where all else is equal? Is it harder to win Wimbledon - more of a feat (actually most people say the USO tends to be the hardest in terms of scheduling, and of course the FO is the toughest on the body, and the AO is no slouch b/c of the bizarre quirks of Rebound Ace)?

------

My answer to these questions is no, so I suppose I should redefine my earlier statement picking Wimbledon. I'll agree it's the most recognized and paid attention to slam, to all people and not just tennis fans. But does winning Wimbledon really mean more than winning the others? I'm not so sure.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 01:42 AM   #68
AgassiFan

AgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Which was that I'm sure that the majority would say Wimbledon, but not all of them would.

Well...yeah. It would be creepy if everyone agreed on that. I mean, it's not like we're comparing Kremlin Cup to Wimbledon -- it's Rollan Garros afterall.

IMO, there is little question that Wimbledon is more prestigious/desired, but I wouldn't be suprised if to Frenchmen, Spaniards, South Americans and a few guys like Mdvedev who grew up on clay and/or just loved past champions who won a bunch of FO's....to them, RG may indeed be more special.

I would say that it's 65-35 in favor of W...
AgassiFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 01:56 AM   #69
armaniman

armaniman has a reputation beyond reputearmaniman has a reputation beyond reputearmaniman has a reputation beyond reputearmaniman has a reputation beyond reputearmaniman has a reputation beyond reputearmaniman has a reputation beyond reputearmaniman has a reputation beyond reputearmaniman has a reputation beyond reputearmaniman has a reputation beyond reputearmaniman has a reputation beyond reputearmaniman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadstool
I think wimbledon is best as people think of the hot weather, strawberries, tradition and when bjorn borg won it isnt it?

French open is good but pete sampras never won it so probably Australian open as they all won that and they want to say they won it as well and be remembered.

O.......................K .....thanks for that... LMFAO
armaniman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 02:33 AM   #70
AgassiFan

AgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond repute

<<<<Of course Wimbledon is the most "widely recognized". Every chance that the old England clubs gets to say "we rule", they say it. Every media outlet pretends to write about tennis says it. >>>>

As someone mentioned before, when you think of Wimbledon, the most covered and coveted tennis event, what comes to mind?

English country club is associated with the upper enclave of White race. Less so in the last decade, but still.

So, part of the make-up of Wimbledon's prestige/history is directly tied to Race and of "select" Class within that race.

Rolan Garros (and clay surface in general) is associated with Spaniards and Latin-Americans, and as such is seen as less "pure", less "classy"
-- literally.

And then there is the relic element -- grass afterall IS a dying surface...
AgassiFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 04:51 AM   #71
WyveN
Banned!

Default Re: Re: Re: Most Prestigious slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk18bsb
Obviously, it's hard to think of two players where this would be the case. but if you have a player who won one Wimbledon and not a whole lot else and players who won each of the other three and not much else, would the player with one Wimbledon be remembered as or considered a better player than the players who won the other three, assuming a perfect world where all else is equal?
Bad example. But I think Krajicek will be regarded more highly then Costa & Johansson.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:38 AM   #72
country flag vene

vene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond reputevene has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Most Prestigious slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyveN
Bad example. But I think Krajicek will be regarded more highly then Costa & Johansson.
Yup!
vene is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 05:39 AM   #73
country flag Chloe le Bopper

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgassiFan
Which was that I'm sure that the majority would say Wimbledon, but not all of them would.

Well...yeah. It would be creepy if everyone agreed on that. I mean, it's not like we're comparing Kremlin Cup to Wimbledon -- it's Rollan Garros afterall.

IMO, there is little question that Wimbledon is more prestigious/desired, but I wouldn't be suprised if to Frenchmen, Spaniards, South Americans and a few guys like Mdvedev who grew up on clay and/or just loved past champions who won a bunch of FO's....to them, RG may indeed be more special.

I would say that it's 65-35 in favor of W...
I agree with this post.

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 05:40 AM   #74
country flag Chloe le Bopper

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Most Prestigious slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyveN
At least you recognized this as a terrible example. Krajicek will likely be more highly regarded, but not *just* because he won Wimbledon. He won more titles, if I'm not mistaken, and had a better all round slam record. This is a guy who also made the semifinals at Roland Garros and Australia, afterall. If I'm not mistaken, the only place that he didn't do it was the USO

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 06:11 AM   #75
country flag Domino

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisLurker
And Manolo Santona, the only spanish player who won wimbledon (and he failed to win the french open) has the same opinion as conchita.
He even disliked grass, he invented the saying "grass is for cows" , he ,a wimbledon champion.
Manuel Santana's Grand Slam Record: He did win RG, twice in fact

French Singles 1961, 64
Doubles 1963

Wimbledon Singles 1966

U.S. Singles 1965

Last edited by Domino : 03-21-2004 at 06:13 AM.
Domino is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote