Most Prestigious slam - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which slam is most prestigious?

Australian Open 5 1.98%
French Open 30 11.90%
Wimbledon 185 73.41%
US Open 11 4.37%
All are equal 21 8.33%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2004, 12:48 AM   #46
country flag TennisLurker

TennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Most Prestigious slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyveN

The claim I am making, which is backed by the FO web site, is that W is "widely recognized" as most prestigious, not that every single person/fan/player in tennis concurs. (as this forum proves)
You used to find it hard to believe that a clay courter would rather win the french open and not wimbledon, and insinuated that they said that because of their inability to win on grass.
According to you, secretly they crave Wimbledon, you know.

Maybe you changed your opinion.

Good luck to:

Gaudio, Murray, Florian Mayer, Chela, Nalbandian, Radek Stepanek, Volandri, Youzhny and Verdasco.

NICOLAS ALMAGRO IS AN EXOTIC BEAUTY
TennisLurker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2004, 12:49 AM   #47
AgassiFan

AgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond reputeAgassiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
... that, and the fact that grass is a DEAD surface, takes away from the "prestige" that Wimbledon used to have.
Quite the opposite actually.

Quote:
IMO, that tournament's "prestige" is all locked up in the days of yore. These days, it's much bigger to win RG,
To whom? To Ferrero? Yes. To Coria? Yes.

To Sampras, Agassi, Becker, Edberg, Federer, Safin, Roddick, Nabaldmandian, Hewitt, Courier thre is no contest. Sorry.

If I knew Agassi would win 2 of the remaining 3 slams this year, I would no doubt wish he win Wimbly and USO. If only 1, it would have to be USO.
AgassiFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 12:52 AM   #48
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most Prestigious slam

I picked Wimbledon... but I'm not really quite sure why.

Maybe because Wimbledon is just sort of associated with tennis. I know a lot of people who know nothing about tennis/aren't fans, but they know what Wimbledon is and stuff. You say "US Open" to them and they might think of golf or something else, but you say Wimbledon and they know what it is and often they even know it's played on grass and that it's in London, etc.

I mean maybe the USO is advertised in this country as being the biggest deal and sure, for a lot of the American players that is the one they'd want to win (for example, I think if Andy never wins another slam, he will be happy that the USO is the one he has, over Wimby or FO or AO), but on the other hand, everyone watches "Breakfast at Wimbledon" on NBC the morning of July 4th weekend. It's a tradition, and the TV Coverage for Wimbledon, especially considering the time difference, is really almost as good as that for the USO (at least from what I recall, it's entirely true that I'm 100% wrong lol).

SO... yeah. Wimby just has the "feel" of more prestige to me.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 12:55 AM   #49

TennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond repute

That is not true for Safin, the french open is the most important tournament for him.
I am not sure it is true for Nalbandian.You should learn to spell his surname BTW.

Good luck to:

Gaudio, Murray, Florian Mayer, Chela, Nalbandian, Radek Stepanek, Volandri, Youzhny and Verdasco.

Old 03-21-2004, 01:34 AM   #50
country flag Chloe le Bopper

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgassiFan

To whom? To Ferrero? Yes. To Coria? Yes.

To Sampras, Agassi, Becker, Edberg, Federer, Safin, Roddick, Nabaldmandian, Hewitt, Courier thre is no contest. Sorry.
You know, if you had continued reading the post and not taken a comment completely out of context, you might have noticed that I addressed this with my Hewitt-Ferrero example.

Becker, Edberg, Courier, and Sampras are retired by the way, so they don't have much relevance to what I was saying. Which was that I'm sure that the majority would say Wimbledon, but not all of them would.

Me hates repeating me self.

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 01:36 AM   #51

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This of course, is just an opinion. And not one that I agree with. But I can sleep with us disagreeing.

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:39 AM   #52

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Most Prestigious slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisLurker
You used to find it hard to believe that a clay courter would rather win the french open and not wimbledon, and insinuated that they said that because of their inability to win on grass.
According to you, secretly they crave Wimbledon, you know.

Maybe you changed your opinion.
This was exactly what he argued last time that this came up, and it was a frighteningly delusional arguement at best.

Perhaps he's changed his tune since then.

Of course Wimbledon is the most "widely recognized". Every chance that the old England clubs gets to say "we rule", they say it. Every media outlet pretends to write about tennis says it.

The media eez a powerful thing.

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:45 AM   #53
WyveN
Banned!

WyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Most Prestigious slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Rebecca
This was exactly what he argued last time that this came up, and it was a frighteningly delusional arguement at best.
I still say that the vast majority of the Spanish guys would pick Wimbledon over the French Open if they were equal contenders in both.

It will be interesting if Nadal becomes a good clay court/grass player to hear his comments.

Quote:
Of course Wimbledon is the most "widely recognized". Every chance that the old England clubs gets to say "we rule", they say it. Every media outlet pretends to write about tennis says it.
Only in this case it is not the old England club saying it, it is the official French Open website.
WyveN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 01:48 AM   #54
WyveN
Banned!

WyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond repute

Besides some people don't agree most prestigious = title that players most want to win. I think Jackson made that point earlier on.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:48 AM   #55

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Most Prestigious slam

Quote:
I still say that the vast majority of the Spanish guys would pick Wimbledon over the French Open if they were equal contenders in both.
And I still think that this arguement is a burning pile of shit, and that you are being an old blowhard. You like WImbledon more, so clearly they HAVE to too.

Quote:
It will be interesting if Nadal becomes a good clay court/grass player to hear his comments.
Those of us who pay attention, can read his comments NOW, and not have to wait. He wants to win Wimbledon because that is the one that everybody will tell him that he's "not supposed" to win.

Typical of you to pick an example like that

Quote:
Only in this case it is not the old England club saying it, it is the official French Open website.
Context.

Anyways, you're a waste of time on this topic.

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:49 AM   #56

Default Re: Re: Most Prestigious slam

Quote:
Besides some people don't agree most prestigious = title that players most want to win. I think Jackson made that point earlier on.
"Some people" are entitled to different opinions.

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:54 AM   #57
WyveN
Banned!

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Most Prestigious slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Rebecca
And I still think that this arguement is a burning pile of shit, and that you are being an old blowhard. You like WImbledon more, so clearly they HAVE to too.
here comes the temper, nothing to do with me. I don't decide the prestige.

Quote:
Those of us who pay attention, can read his comments NOW, and not have to wait. He wants to win Wimbledon because that is the one that everybody will tell him that he's "not supposed" to win.
What about Nalbandian? Being Argentine, and reading the comments in this thread, he should be drooling over the FO.

Quote:
Context.

Anyways, you're a waste of time on this topic.
So are you but hopefully you will provide some entertaining outbursts
Old 03-21-2004, 01:58 AM   #58

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Most Prestigious slam

Quote:
That is just ego/advertising. Obvious difference is that this was on the FO website, if it was on the Wimbledon official site I wouldn't take notice.

The claim I am making, which is backed by the FO web site, is that W is "widely recognized" as most prestigious, not that every single person/fan/player in tennis concurs. (as this forum proves)
Okay, I'm sorry, but what the fuck is your problem?Has anybody in this thread disagreed that it is "the most widely recognized"? Even once? Have I said that?

Who are you arguing with, and what exactly are you arguing here? I know that you like to toot your own horn and all, but arguing with me over things I never said and pointing out things that I already know... is sort of embarassing to watch.

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:01 AM   #59

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Most Prestigious slam

Quote:
here comes the temper, nothing to do with me. I don't decide the prestige.
Exactly. You don't decide shit. Which is why you claiming that these players are liars who are just ashamed of their lack of ability on grass (hyperbole alert) is ridiculous.

Quote:
What about Nalbandian? Being Argentine, and reading the comments in this thread, he should be drooling over the FO.
Nalbandian is more likely to win Wimbledon than Roland Garros, if you we use your arguement

And in case you have been unable to read my many posts, this is what I have said: IT DEPENDS ON THE PLAYER. The PLAYER. Not the country. Get it? Ask that question to the people who said that it depends strictly on nationality. There are certain generalizations that can be made about different geographic regions, but that doesnt' mean that all players adhere to them. Duh.

Quote:
So are you but hopefully you will provide some entertaining outbursts
Actually, I've been making a lot of sense. You've just been failing to correctly read MY arguements

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:02 AM   #60

But the evidence is against your opinion, Conchita Martinez (1994 wimbledon champion), a spanish player who grew up playing on clay said that her dream is and has always been to win roland Garros.

And Manolo Santona, the only spanish player who won wimbledon (and he failed to win the french open) has the same opinion as conchita.
He even disliked grass, he invented the saying "grass is for cows" , he ,a wimbledon champion.

So far they are the only spanish players who won Wimbledon, and I think we should believe them.

BTW
Nadal and Feliciano Lopez said that the tournament they want to win the most is Wimbledon, not Roland Garros.
But they didnt grow up playing on clay.

Good luck to:

Last edited by TennisLurker : 03-21-2004 at 02:05 AM.