Davis Cup: Carlos Moya steps down as Spain coach: "It was not what I expected" - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM   #1
country flag ReturnAce

ReturnAce has a reputation beyond reputeReturnAce has a reputation beyond reputeReturnAce has a reputation beyond reputeReturnAce has a reputation beyond reputeReturnAce has a reputation beyond reputeReturnAce has a reputation beyond reputeReturnAce has a reputation beyond reputeReturnAce has a reputation beyond reputeReturnAce has a reputation beyond reputeReturnAce has a reputation beyond reputeReturnAce has a reputation beyond repute
Default Davis Cup: Carlos Moya steps down as Spain coach: "It was not what I expected"

Madrid: Former world number one Carlos Moya said Thursday he will not renew his captaincy of Spain`s Davis Cup team next year after the five-time champions lost their World Group elite status.

"I do not know what the tennis federation has planned, but my head is telling me not to continue," Moya was quoted as saying in an interview published by newspaper El Pais.

"As you may know I will not be the captain of the Davis Cup in 2015, difficult decision, thanks for your messages of support, it has been a pleasure," Moya tweeted on Thursday.

Spain only have to win one tie against either Russia or Denmark - both of whom they will have to travel to face - in July 2015 to get back into the play-offs, but it will be a year spent in the Davis Cup wilderness for a traditional powerhouse.

Playing without injured world number two Rafael Nadal and his fellow top 10 player David Ferrer, Spain lost their first tie on clay since 1999.

Moya, who took over from Alex Corretja at the end of 2013, announced his decision to step aside on his Twitter feed on Thursday.

In an interview with El Pais, the former world number one said he had not been expecting to find it so hard to convince Spain's top players to take part in the Davis Cup and that he was leaving partly because he did not want to further disrupt the lives of his young family.

"I signed for one year instead of the two they offered me for family reasons," he told the newspaper.

"I have three small children and I was not sure if it would be easy for me to travel. I have realised that it is difficult."

Moya voiced disappointment at the unavailability of players for the squad, despite Spain having 12 players ranked in the world top 100.

"It all got difficult with Rafa`s injury... but I could not have imagined that out of all the other top-100 Spanish players, due to injuries, scheduling or lack of motivation, I could only count on (Marcel) Granollers and (Roberto) Bautista," Moya told El Pais.

"It was not what I expected."

Spain won the Davis Cup in 2000, 2004, 2008, 2009 and 2011 and were runners-up in 2003 and 2012.

Moya, 38, in 1999 became the first Spanish player to reach the world number one ranking.

There was no immediate word from the Spanish tennis federation (RFET) on a successor to Moya, though Juan Carlos Ferrero, another former world number one, has expressed a desire to captain the team one day.

El Pais interview - http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/...76_381062.html

Last edited by ReturnAce : Yesterday at 07:01 PM.
ReturnAce is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM   #2
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davis Cup: Carlos Moya steps down as Spain coach: "It was not what I expected"

BRAVO MARINE, SAMO NAPRED MAJSTORE !!

Marin Cilic ~The Greatest Ballstriker of All Time
hipolymer is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM   #3
country flag pepita1964

pepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davis Cup: Carlos Moya steps down as Spain coach: "It was not what I expected"

Well Moya is a great friend of Rafa and Tio Toni is not he?! Maybe Spanish players are not very happy
to be slaves anymore to Nadal' clan. Ten years are more than enough!
pepita1964 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM   #4
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I read this the other day

Why not Ferrero as captain?
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #5
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

I blame Uncle Toni.

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:52 AM   #6
country flag redshift36188

redshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"I have three small children and I was not sure if it would be easy for me to travel. I have realised that it is difficult."
I just don't understand this part. The team on average travels outside of the country 2 times per year, none if lucky. Does the captain have to travel more than that for other obligations?
Originally Posted by redshift36188 View Post
Peak Kei can beat a good Nole. The gap between their best is very small.

Candidate for a post of the year. Signature material.
redshift36188 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:05 AM   #7
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift36188 View Post
I just don't understand this part. The team on average travels outside of the country 2 times per year, none if lucky. Does the captain have to travel more than that for other obligations?
certainly the Davis Cup coach would be traveling a lot more, whether its for training with members or organizing things or whatever it may be. more goes on behind the scenes than you'd expect

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:55 AM   #8
country flag Moonball Pusher

Moonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond repute

Mafia

Federer - Isner - Tsonga - Gulbis - Dimitrov - Cilic - Sock - Thiem
Tennis disgraces: Nadal, Ferrer, Fognini

Fantasy Tennis Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
Thank You Rafa.... Thank You For Everything, I Owe My Entire Life To You Rafa, You Are My God You Are My God You Are My God, My Life Is Blessed Now That You Inhibit This Earth, Thanks Rafa
Moonball Pusher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote