~~Interviews, articles of Tomas~~ - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #46
country flag Brownie

Brownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond reputeBrownie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~~Interviews, articles of Tomas~~

Jan Kodes gives the world a warning, but, unfortunately, he can't spell Tomas' name
http://www.worldtennismagazine.com/archives/1961

Brownie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #47
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

I hope he's right
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #48
country flag Riosreigned

Riosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond repute

T-Berd ready to roll into SF rematch with Roger. It's T-Berd's time to win is slam. He will take care of Youzhny and certainly has shot to beat Roger, Nadal or Djokovic.

Check out this QA with T-Berd at my sig sites...

http://www.tennis-prose.com/articles...tomas-berdych/
Old 06-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #49
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one
Old 06-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #50
country flag angela

angela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond repute

good
Old 08-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #51
country flag Eden
Congrats guys

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

The Buzz On Berdych

DEUCE

by Paul Macpherson

Jan Kodes, the 1973 Wimbledon champion, shares a joke with Tomas Berdych at The Championships in July, when the Czech lost to Rafael Nadal in the final.

Tomas Berdych seemed content with a Top 20 ranking, but no longer. He's now a genuine Grand Slam title contender and one of the favourites for the US Open.

It's early afternoon in Washington, D.C. and Tomas Berdych is standing in the middle of the plush lobby of the W Hotel. All six feet, five inches of him. Yet the only person taking any notice is fellow Czech, Michal Novotny (the personal physio of Ernests Gulbis), with whom Berdych is chatting casually. Berdych then sits down to conduct a video interview, yet hotel guests remain engaged in their conversations or are buried in their Blackberries.

Welcome to the understated world of Tomas Berdych, who, like Russian Nikolay Davydenko, is more than happy to let his racquet do the talking. It's just part of his DNA.

"I've known Tomas ever since he was a junior playing in Prostějov and he was quiet even back then," says Czech veteran Radek Stepanek. "If he was at a table of 20 people he’d just sit there quietly. He wasn’t the one entertaining the table telling jokes or making fun of something."

After his giant-killing run to the Wimbledon final in July, Berdych didn't sign on for a series of parades or parties, not even a welcoming committee at the airport. The closest thing was a press conference in Prague. "There wasn't a lot of fuss like when the ice hockey team returned from the World Championships this year," Berdych says. "But it was still a big moment for Czech tennis and I had a nice press conference with the trophy. Maybe if I had have gone one match more it would have been bigger."

On the court, however, Berdych has been making plenty of noise in 2010 after seemingly treading water for the past four years. Shortly before his run to the Wimbledon final – during which he took out six-time champion Roger Federer – Berdych also reached the Roland Garros semi-finals, in which he led Robin Soderling two sets to one. He now enters the US Open as a genuine title contender.

It's no surprise that Berdych, who also beat Federer en route to the Sony Ericsson Open final in March, has emerged as a legitimate Top 10 player and Grand Slam contender this year. That it's taken this long is harder to explain.

When he broke through to win the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title in Paris in 2005 shortly after his 20th birthday, Berdych appeared on the fast track to the top of the men's game. But he went title-less the following year and lifted just one trophy a year in 2007, '08 and '09. For a time, it seemed that a comfortable place in the Top 20 was good enough for Berdych.

"He won Bercy and [briefly] got to No. 9 in the world and everyone thought he was going to make his move," says former player, coach and now TV analyst Brad Gilbert. "Then the next few years he was the same. He wasn't doing anything different. And when you stay the same, guys figure out your tendencies as opposed to when you're young and they don't know you.

"What's happened now is that he's put in the hard yards and is in much better shape. He's improved his movement a ton. That was a weakness for him. Along with better movement and increased strength, he has been more confident in his shot selection. He's not bailing out and going for winners like he was before. He's trusting his movement. He's pulling the trigger from much better positions in the court and his shot selection has improved dramatically."

Berdych's decision in January 2009 to hire coach Tomas Krupa, who had worked with the super-fit and highly versatile Stepanek for seven years, was a pivotal moment in his career. In addition to improved movement, Berdych has added a slice backhand to his repertoire and isn't afraid to venture to the net.

Stepanek says: "Working with my former coach has taught Tomas how to win points in more ways, including from the net, not just with big forehands. Adding these small things to the big serve and big ground strokes he already had has made a big difference.

"He's also really matured and you can see that in his mental approach. Before he would find a reason to hide from the situation on the court – blaming a bad line call or the wind, or something – but he's stopped doing that and is concentrated on every point."

Berdych is also riding the wave of success enjoyed by the new faces at the top of the game, including del Potro, Soderling and Cilic; players who believe that flatter is better. On the surface, the strategy seems counter-intuitive. The success of World No. 1 Rafael Nadal has its foundations in the most vicious topspin arsenal in the history of the game. Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray also hit with heavy spin. Additionally, those players are also arguably the four best athletes in the game, chasing down shots that in years gone by would have been clean winners.

So what's a less-nimble, lofty ball striker like Berdych, del Potro, Soderling or Cilic to do? Flatten it out, of course, and sacrifice spin for pace. Step into the court and let rip!

"It's one of the reasons some of the guys are playing flatter, without too much spin," Berdych says. "We're not guys like Rafa who move exceptionally well and play great defense, so we have to bring something extra. We're trying to use our biggest weapons."

Like any good doubles partner, Stepanek builds on Berdych's point: "When you take the ball early and hit flat, you're taking time away from guys who need some extra time to get ready to hit the topspin. You put your opponent under pressure right away."

Like most of his Top 10 brethren, Berdych has found a way to successfully adapt his game to all surfaces. He reached the Roland Garros semi-finals on clay and then backed up during the grass season to reach the final at Wimbledon, where he also reached the quarter-finals in 2007.

His all-court success can be traced back to his early teens, when as he would play outdoors on clay in the warmer months, but head indoors as the bitter cold set in. "Every time the winters came we’d go back indoors and one time the courts would be faster with a lower bounce and other times the court would be slower with a higher bounce," he explains. "At the time I wasn’t thinking that the variety would be an advantage for me in the future, but I think it has helped me to play well on all surfaces. Players today know that if they want to be one of the best in the world there is no way you can be just a clay court player or hard court player."

Also important in Berdych's development was the support of his parents to throw himself into sport. Despite both being professionals, (father Martin was a train engineer and his mother, Hana, is a doctor) Berdych's parents acquiesced to his desire to follow a career in tennis.

"At the start my father didn't have the thought of making me a professional, but he really liked the sport and took me almost every day to the courts. I still need to do all my school work, but my mother would joke that there was no way I would be a doctor and do all that study needed. When I was 10 or 12 she said in a funny way: 'Do whatever you want in life, but don't try to be a doctor.' That's why I started to be a tennis player. I think sport is much better [laughs]."

Source: http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEU...s-Berdych.aspx
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #52
country flag Certinfy

Stunning article there, thanks for posting.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #53
country flag Davodus

Davodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond repute

Great article!
Old 10-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #54
country flag elena_k

elena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...sits-Expo.aspx
elena_k is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #55
country flag elena_k

elena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond reputeelena_k has a reputation beyond repute

Tomas does have a new member of his team it is spanish physiotherapist Jose Felix Gonzalez Castilla

http://sport.idnes.cz/berdych-angazo...0209_tenis_bur

Last edited by elena_k : 04-05-2011 at 10:47 PM.
elena_k is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #56
country flag Davodus

Davodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond reputeDavodus has a reputation beyond repute

ah ok, so that's the new guy who has been around! Thanks.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #57
country flag Eden
Congrats guys

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Berdych out to avoid one-hit status

Last year's finalist desperate to avoid membership of Wimbledon's one-year wonder club.

By Paul Newman

Sunday, 19 June 2011

Tomas Berdych on his succes at SW19: 'The crowd were cheering as I went on court and I thought, hey, this is it'

A question mark hangs over Tomas Berdych as he returns to the scene of his finest hour. Can last year's Wimbledon runner-up build on his achievement or will he join the likes of Chris Lewis, Kevin Curren, MaliVai Washington, Cédric Pioline and Mark Philippoussis as one who never climbed the mountain again?

Wimbledon's list of champions over the last 30 years features many of the greatest players ever to wield a racket – Borg and McEnroe, Becker and Edberg, Sampras and Agassi, Federer and Nadal – but the roll-call of beaten finalists reveals a different story.

Lewis, brushed aside by John McEnroe in 1983, never won a title. Curren, beaten by Boris Becker two years later, won just five. Washington, who lost to Richard Krajicek in 1996, never made the world's top 10. Pioline, crushed by Sampras in 1997, won five titles in a 14-year career. Philippoussis, Federer's first victim in a Wimbledon final, in 2003, never realised his full potential.

Berdych has not reached a final since losing to Nadal at Wimbledon, after a run which saw him beat Federer in the quarter-finals, ending the latter's chances of making a seventh successive final. The 25-year-old Czech lost in the first round of the US Open and from August to the new year won only four times.

"I was in a new situation," he said. "Everyone was expecting too much from me. It was like: 'You've reached the semi-finals at the French Open, the final at Wimbledon, so what are you going to do next?' I heard it from every single corner. It doesn't help. It doesn't change anything. It doesn't help you to feel good on court. When people went on court against me they thought: 'OK, I'm playing against Berdych, let's try to beat him because he's had good results.'''

Berdych admitted that the situation had got to him by the time he lost to Federer in their next meeting, in Toronto. "I was thinking too much about the quarter-final at Wimbledon. I was thinking about things like ranking points, but it was much too early to be thinking about that. I was thinking too much about other things. All I can say is that it was an experience – and experiences aren't always good. Sometimes you have to go through bad experiences as well.''

Berdych can look uncomfortable in the spotlight, a fact reflected in the two places he calls home. He splits his time between Monaco, where he enjoys the anonymity, and Prostejov, an unassuming town in his home country. A big attraction there is the local tennis club, where many of the best Czech players of recent times, including Jiri Novak and Radek Stepanek, have trained.

"Practising there with players like that helped me a lot," Berdych said. "Everybody told me: 'Why don't you stay in Prague? You have the airport there. It's much easier.' But I hate the big cities. Everything takes so long – getting to the courts, going home. In Prostejov it takes me four minutes to drive from my apartment to the club."

When Berdych set out on his professional career he was regarded as one of the best of a group that included Nadal, Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic, Richard Gasquet and Gaël Monfils. At 6ft 5in and more than 14st, he has always given the ball a mighty thump, making up for a comparative lack of mobility. He was one of the first of his generation to succeed on the senior circuit, beating Federer at the Athens Olympics and winning his first Masters title the following year, at the age of 20. He has not been out of the world's top 30 since, but it was not until last summer that he made his Grand Slam breakthrough, first at the French Open, where he lost to Robin Soderling in a five-set semi-final, and then at Wimbledon.

He says he felt no nerves in last year's final. "People ask if I felt the pressure the night before but I didn't feel I had anything to worry about. My parents came over and we were all staying in a house. We had a barbecue the night before the final and we watched the World Cup on television. In the morning I was feeling good and everything was fine. I did my warm-up and everything was normal. The crowd were cheering as we went on the court and I thought: 'Hey, this is it. This is why I play tennis, just to get here. Why be nervous? You're here to enjoy and play.'''

He retains only happy memories of the match. "It's great whenever I see a photograph or something that reminds me that I was in the Wimbledon final. Even in that moment on court after the match it felt great, but later on you appreciate it even more. You know you were the one who was in the final. I just hope that one day I'll go one better."

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/t...s-2299672.html
Old 06-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #58
country flag Eden
Congrats guys

Berdych Hoping To “Make Another Wimbledon Story Happen”

Wimbledon, England
by Kate Flory

A year ago Tomas Berdych enjoyed the best two weeks of his tennis career at Wimbledon as he defeated Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic en route to his first Grand Slam final. The first Czech player to reach the Wimbledon final since Ivan Lendl in 1987, Berdych lost out to Rafael Nadal, but cherishes the memories of his run at SW19.

“Of course it gives you confidence. It feels much better that you are in a place where everything is just fine for you, you played well here and did a great result,” said Berdych in an exclusive interview with ATPWorldTour.com on Saturday. “It’s some confidence which you have on the side and you know it’s there, but still more importantly it is from winning matches that you are going to build up confidence, from the first points when you start.

“Here we are starting on the same line with another 128 players and I need to build again and make another story happen. I’m going to try to do my best here to do well and try to go step-by-step and just enjoy every day here.”

The 25-year-old Berdych is staying with his girlfriend, WTA player Lucie Safarova, in a house in Wimbledon Village for the duration of the tournament and enjoys the unique atmosphere The Championships presents.

“It’s just amazing because it’s a unique place, and I’m enjoying that a lot,” said Berdych. “I like the tradition. It’s everywhere here. I think it’s like for golf fans that go to St. Andrews. It only happens once a year and it’s such a nice atmosphere.

“We are staying in a house not far from here. I like walking in the morning and just coming here for the club. We have quite a big house and I think it’s just something that helps to make the atmosphere of the tournament really nice.”

After reaching the Wimbledon final in 2010, Berdych struggled to find his best form for the remainder of the year, only reaching three quarter-finals in 11 tournaments. This season has seen more consistency from the Czech, marred only by a first-round exit at Roland Garros, and it is with cautious optimism that he approaches his eighth Wimbledon campaign.

“Since we left the clay, I had the chance to play one tournament on grass, reaching the semi-final in Halle. I played a couple of good matches there then came here and have been preparing. Everything is going well; I’m feeling healthy, feeling good, and really just looking forward to my first match (against Filippo Volandri). Everything could go well, but it’s going to start from the first match so I’m looking forward to that.”

Source: http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...h-Preview.aspx
Old 07-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #59
country flag Davodus

Old 11-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #60
country flag Eden
Congrats guys

Tommy Gun

DEUCE

by Dominic Bliss

© Getty Images

Tomas Berdych has been one of the most consistent players on tour this year, reaching the quarter-finals or better 15 times.

Czech No. 1 Tomas Berdych may be a quiet character off the court, but when he’s on it, it’s all guns blazing.

Tomas Berdych’s abiding memory from competing at The O2 last year is the awesome atmosphere created by the spectators. What he admired most, he says, was the contrast between the thundering cheers at the end of each point, and the total silence while play was in progress.

“The crowd in London is definitely one of the best for tennis,” he says. “This huge indoor arena with so many people. The entertainment. It’s more like you’re going to the theatre than just watching tennis. That’s what we need.”

Appearing in the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals for the second year running, the Czech No. 1 has been extremely consistent all year, a crucial factor in his qualification. He may not have had his hands on much silverware this season, but his consistency has been exemplary: he reached the quarter-finals or beyond at 15 of the 22 tournaments he has appeared in. And don’t forget last year when he completed a stunning run to the singles final at Wimbledon. That’s proof that he responds well to the support of London spectators.

Despite this success, and a permanent presence within the Top 10 of the South African Airways ATP Rankings since July last year, Tomas isn’t one of those players who constantly gets pestered by fans in the street. In fact, outside of the Czech Republic, he is so little known that he can often pass unnoticed.

“I’m quite happy with that,” he says, wary of the attention that the likes of Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer receive. “I would definitely not want what they go through. If you have 16 Grand Slams under your belt, the popularity is much, much higher.”

Even back in his native Czech Republic, Tomas says the fans give him the space he needs. Although he now lives in Monte-Carlo, his home is a small town in the Czech Republic. “The people know that this guy has been here since he was 12 years old,” Tomas says of himself. “And that he’s now pretty much the same as he was before. I have an easy time with that. In the small city everybody knows me pretty well. I’m not unique to them. That’s a good thing.”

In the past critics have suggested Tomas lacks stage presence on the tennis court, and that this might affect his ability to win key matches. The player himself admits to shyness but insists it in no way affects his performance. “I’m this shy kind of person off the court,” he explains. “But on the court it’s different because you have to forget everything else, concentrate and fight for every point.”

As a child, Tomas left Valasske Mezirici and moved with his family 40 miles west to Prostejov. Here, the young player was able to train at the famous Tennis Club Prostejov, with its 21 clay and three indoor carpet courts. Other Czech greats such as Jiri Novak, Radek Stepanek and Jan Hajek trained alongside him.

At first his parents (father Martin was a train engineer, mother Hana a doctor) weren’t keen on him becoming a professional sportsman. “My father didn’t have the thought of making me a professional, but he really liked the sport and took me almost every day to the courts,” Tomas recalls. “I still needed to do all my school work, but my mother would joke that there was no way I would be a doctor and do all that study needed. When I was 10 she said in a funny way: ‘Do whatever you want in life, but don’t try to be a doctor.’ That's why I started to be a tennis player.”

His parents later moved back to Valasske Mezirici, while Tomas, like many other top pros, eventually ended up in Monte-Carlo.

Off court he very much keeps to himself. He admits he’s not the most sociable of players on the ATP World Tour. “On the tour I have no real friends,” he told Smash magazine. “If I hang around with other players it’s my fellow countrymen. My true friends are back home in the Czech Republic. They really support me.”

Tomas’s favourite sport outside of tennis is ice hockey, and he closely follows the fortunes of American NHL team the Detroit Red Wings. “In the Czech Republic ice hockey is a national sport,” he says. “We have many good players who play in the American NHL. I know some of the Czech players personally. They are tennis fans and have played tennis with me.”

Tomas is also something of a film buff, especially the fantasy genre. “Most of all I like the Lord of the Rings films,” he says. “They are unbelievably good. I can watch them over and over again.”

All that fighting, it seems, has taught him how to win his on-court battles.

Source: http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEU...s-Berdych.aspx